Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good story is young George Hampson. Has had his injury issues and despite that he keeps fighting back which is a credit to his character. Big time endurance athlete, good height and can do some damage.

If he continues to build on his strong form and continues his improvement I think he enters the mix. Clubs are willing to give state leaguers a go now and Hampson may well be one of those selected.

He needs to keep his mouth shut and just play.

On talent Garlett fits well inside my top 15 and is on that top 10 fringe.

Sub 2m ruckmen don't usually appeal unless they are absolute freak ruckmen. Solomon while he may have a better rounded game than most ruckmen just doesn't have that dominance to his game whether it be with his tap work or marking game to rate him super highly. Not inside my top 100 at this point, but in saying that I'll be saying the same about most ruckmen this year unless someone really breaks out in the latter half of the season.

That's the thing though, clubs aren't looking at him as a ruck man, it's his agility and dexterity at ground level that has tongues wagging. He's got such a strong core, pivots out of congestion and impacts at the clearance so well.

Couple that with the fact he is 197cm and he can help out in the ruck and rest forward and reel in big grabs.

He only missed out on the first two intakes because he was ill in the preseason and basically hasn't built the fitness up to have an impact for long enough, he's this years Dean Kent with extra size and better ball use.

He's a top a 50 talent.

Hey KM,
Just wondering your thoughts on some of the Sandringham Dragons boys from the TAC cup this year? Who do you think are their best players and your thoughts on them?

A lot of good info and sound logic there Knightmare.

The FA thing is still very new , I'm not sure we have seen the full range collaborations and outcomes. I wonder if we will ever see bad feeling between clubs like we saw in the 80 between Pies and Tigers. The restricted FA has the potential to be quite inflationary. Especially if a club starts going tit for tat.

So far the bigger names that have left clubs seemed to have done so with apparent good will with their current clubs almost happy to move on. Will this be the same for someone like Thomas , while going to Melbourne would probably be how the system is hoped to work , its more likely that player will go , as your have theorized , to places of choice with depth of talent, facilities, resources ... Not sure collingwood would be overjoyed to loose him to the Blues or Geelong if they rate us as finals competitors.

On kicking - I did ask for the best for the best , so it should not surprise that we will not get within a bulls roar of any of them. Shame , Billings sound very Geelong.

Expect clubs to get frustrated by free agency. Clubs will take advantage of it without a doubt.

Expect more clubs to trade out players the contract before free agency to gain assets then look to add free agents of their own as Collingwood did last year with the Wellingham and Dawes trades to later than add Quinten Lynch and Clinton Young.

Collingwood will likely do everything possible to retain Toovey/Thomas. Particularly with the threat of Geelong/Carlton present. Collingwood having first hand though from the other side seen how it has worked with Luke Ball will be well aware of the risks of letting a high level performer go to a strong rival club.

Hey KM
Just wondering if you had Sam heavyside in any of your 2013 calculations? Had a great year as a bottom age player in 2011 winning the b and f for bendigo pioneers and last year had a decent couple of games when he wasn't injured. He seems to good not to be on an AFL list but unfourtunatly his draft year was cruelled with injuries. Any thoughts would be great, thanks !

I liked Heavyside last year and I'd be disappointed if he didn't get a look again this year. You are right that injuries last year were the issue but if he can put together a full season and continues to develop his game and get a touch stronger I could make a very strong case for Heavyside to end up on a list. For a small really love his inside game particularly and I view him as one of those more exceptional smalls.

Will he get drafted? After you've been overlooked it's always an up hill battle but given the circumstances he likely receives consideration if he continues to perform.

Expect clubs to get frustrated by free agency. Clubs will take advantage of it without a doubt.

Expect more clubs to trade out players the contract before free agency to gain assets then look to add free agents of their own as Collingwood did last year with the Wellingham and Dawes trades to later than add Quinten Lynch and Clinton Young.

Collingwood will likely do everything possible to retain Toovey/Thomas. Particularly with the threat of Geelong/Carlton present. Collingwood having first hand though from the other side seen how it has worked with Luke Ball will be well aware of the risks of letting a high level performer go to a strong rival club.

I liked Heavyside last year and I'd be disappointed if he didn't get a look again this year. You are right that injuries last year were the issue but if he can put together a full season and continues to develop his game and get a touch stronger I could make a very strong case for Heavyside to end up on a list. For a small really love his inside game particularly and I view him as one of those more exceptional smalls.

Will he get drafted? After you've been overlooked it's always an up hill battle but given the circumstances he likely receives consideration if he continues to perform.

That's good news then, he played his first game on the weekend and got best on which was pleasing. Hopefully he gets a look in late. Thanks for that

That's good news then, he played his first game on the weekend and got best on which was pleasing. Hopefully he gets a look in late. Thanks for that
Firstly great work KM!! WHat are your thoughts on some of the top age Western boys that have made the Metro squad? King, Sicily, Weston. i have read from previous posts that your a wrap Mark Orr, but he seems to have missed selection. What are there chances of getting drafted??

Hey KM,
Just wondering your thoughts on some of the Sandringham Dragons boys from the TAC cup this year? Who do you think are their best players and your thoughts on them?

Joshua Kelly likely goes top 10 if the draft was held tomorrow.

Christian Salem has a great physicality to him. May go 2nd/3rd round, higher if he starts to find more of the footy.

Callum Cathcart and Nathan Freeman both very much in that draft mix along with Max Hayes.

Hawthorn people will also be excited about that Kurt Heatherley guy.

Firstly great work KM!! WHat are your thoughts on some of the top age Western boys that have made the Metro squad? King, Sicily, Weston. i have read from previous posts that your a wrap Mark Orr, but he seems to have missed selection. What are there chances of getting drafted??

Vic Metro have a strong group of KPPs. Not everyone can make the cut.

None of the Western group are locks to get drafted but some guys could as late draft selections could be considered with strong years.

Armstrong-Weston in my view is that more interesting of the group being a nice height as a key defender but so much footy to be played it's entirely possible one of these surprise.

Back to the draft.
Who's the best kick in this draft. On the run , 70M from FB , setshots ..what ever. Al
Im probably thinking running defender more than anything else but for the moment who do you rate best?

Lots of players are neat kicks in this draft group (Billings, Aish, Salem for example) but Trent Dumont and Luke Reynolds both have some real power. Reynolds is more of a half forward at the moment, but I reckon he could go back or through the midfield - bit similar to Jordan Murdoch. I'd back him shooting for goal from around the 50m line. And although Dumont is better as a midfielder, he can really play anywhere and I could imagine him taking the kick outs and sending it over 60m. Nicholas Bourke from Vic Country is another, in that same vein as Reynolds.

Christian Salem has a great physicality to him. May go 2nd/3rd round, higher if he starts to find more of the footy.

Callum Cathcart and Nathan Freeman both very much in that draft mix along with Max Hayes.

What are your thoughts on Max Hayes? Does he have the qualities to become a good/serviceable AFL player?

Salem is better than that, should be 10-20. How much more ball was O'Rourke winning last year?

Spencer and Langdon worth mentioning too.

Who's the skills coach at Sandy? All the smalls mentioned plus Amon and Wilkinson have close to elite foot skills.

Thoughts on the following players KM-
Aidan Franetic- Oakleigh Chargers
Karl Amon- Dragons
Will Maginness- Chargers
Matthew Merlo- Cannons

A bit about each players and there draft chances if any???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day KM, I was a huge fan of Macrae last year and Greene the year before. Just wondering who you think this years one is going to be. It's early days but so far I can really see either Freeman (just seems so polished) or Kennedy-Harris (become a completely different player this year) being that bloke, thoughts on the two or someone to keep an eye out for? (haven't seen many games this year)

What are your thoughts on Max Hayes? Does he have the qualities to become a good/serviceable AFL player?

Has some ability. Good user of the footy and can do some damage up forward. May not be an early round draft pick but 3rd round onward he's one who could work out.

Salem is better than that, should be 10-20. How much more ball was O'Rourke winning last year?

Spencer and Langdon worth mentioning too.

Who's the skills coach at Sandy? All the smalls mentioned plus Amon and Wilkinson have close to elite foot skills.

I wasn't massive on O'Rourke either and I considered pick 2 way too high for him despite his talents.

Salem is improving his production, he just needs to continue racking up big numbers and he'll be fine.

Thoughts on the following players KM-
Aidan Franetic- Oakleigh Chargers
Karl Amon- Dragons
Will Maginness- Chargers
Matthew Merlo- Cannons

A bit about each players and there draft chances if any???

Good list of players.

Franetic I think gets drafted if the draft happens tomorrow. Maginness is very much in the mix. Amon is a maybe, had a great start to the season with that 3 goal game v the Jets but will need to keep his form up and continue producing.
Merlo has stepped up his game. Strongly built inside player who is a big improver and if he continues his strong form he without a doubt has that opportunity to come onto the radar if he isn't on the radar of most scouts already.

G'day KM, I was a huge fan of Macrae last year and Greene the year before. Just wondering who you think this years one is going to be. It's early days but so far I can really see either Freeman (just seems so polished) or Kennedy-Harris (become a completely different player this year) being that bloke, thoughts on the two or someone to keep an eye out for? (haven't seen many games this year)

Freeman and Kennedy-Harris have always been able to play and coming into the year in my view were 2nd round quality talents. In saying that they are both having very impressive years.

As with Greene and Macrae in the u18 champs their talents really became clear during the u18 champs so I'll probably be able to give you the answer then.

As those big time risers I'm liking some Div 2 boys. Lloyd Perris (NSW), Isaac Conway (QLD) and Cain Tickner (QLD) are all big time with Sam Gribble (QLD) also not bad either. The Kolodjashnij boys (TAS) as well as Eli Templeton (TAS) also well worth watching. People also seem to be sleeping on Willy Rioli (NT), unorthodox body shape but he's talented and another I look forward to seeing produce against the best in the country.

Of the Div 1 boys I have found they are mostly known and rated around where they should be so until that riser becomes clear I'm going to wait until the champs to see who that big riser is.

key knightmare, whats the depth of talent like over the next 3 years.

i heard an interview with one of the WAFC officials stating that junior numbers are at a low between the 14-17 age group but they are not worried as the younger juniors below that are at a high and need extra teams/comps put on

Good story is young George Hampson. Has had his injury issues and despite that he keeps fighting back which is a credit to his character. Big time endurance athlete, good height and can do some damage.

If he continues to build on his strong form and continues his improvement I think he enters the mix. Clubs are willing to give state leaguers a go now and Hampson may well be one of those selected.
"The source" would look to get your facts right first. Can assure you this is a long way off the mark. Was speaking with his old man at east freo game, George had problems with his shoulder after a knock earlier last year, he had a cleanout on that in january this year and also an op on his nose in december to fix his breathing after being attacked by a gang a few years back. Was unable to train properly until early Feb while club was trying to get him to run around a long time before that when he physically could not. He seemed quite angry at how the club had dealt with it, anything away from this is here say and factually incorrect. With limited pre season, his body looks to be right and is showing that in his performances in a weak subi side, definately worth a punt at the next level and can play anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back