Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and so what. He's having a crack and giving time in serious thought. Got to give him points for his depth of analysis given he's not being flown around the country side to scout out talent. Is he some kind of draft genius - no, but I like his conviction and he has his reasoning which people can debate.
He wasn't having a crack mate, just calling himself old.

And he's been spoken about as a potential number 1?

Wright is looking increasingly likely to be something more like a potential pick number 10 if you listen to what the media are suggesting. Wright has really benefited this year from substantial delivery into the front half and will have lost more contests than he has won. If you pick Wright you pick him because you like his scope to improve as a 203cm, 102kg and a rare athlete with a long kick on him and clean hands overhead it's that intrigue factor and overall good numbers that draw the interest.

Is there a reason why no one has St Kilda taking key defensive players like Oscar McDonald. Do you have faith in Delaney and Fisher and Gilbert

Draft position comes into it.

Are St Kilda taking Lever at 1? Do St Kilda in the surprising scenario Marchbank slips through to 21 take him? Do they see Marchbank as a key defender or more someone who would play up the field? Perhaps at 41 they could take a key defender but it depends on whether they like someone. McDonald might not be there going by recent rumours that his stocks are rising so you'd want to really like someone else in St Kilda's position to in the national draft take a key defender.

any decent state leaguers KPD or KPF that are sub 24 years old running around that deserve a shot? Lions have pick 67 or there abouts and might be looking at a state league player as my mail.

Michael Hartley as a key defender is still young and could be taken as a rookie.

Around that pick 67 if looking for a mature age tall Mitch McGovern is the guy who around that stage could be taken.

KM, it seems like this year's top 10 is the most open & unpredictable it has been for a couple years. Going on various media and bigfooty phantom drafts it seems there is only a consensus about the top 3, after that opinions are very mixed.

Last year I recall Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Bontempelli, KK, Scharenberg, Freeman, Sheed & Lennon all went pretty much as expected in the top 12, plus obviously McDonald F/S.

Perhaps it will become more clear closer to the draft. Do you think the clubs are playing their cards closer to their chest this year or are just undecided?

Michael Hartley as a key defender is still young and could be taken as a rookie.

Around that pick 67 if looking for a mature age tall Mitch McGovern is the guy who around that stage could be taken.

The Bulldogs are sniffing around Michael Hartley in a big way

Is there a reason why no one has St Kilda taking key defensive players like Oscar McDonald. Do you have faith in Delaney and Fisher and Gilbert

We have Delaney and Bruce, along with seniors such as Fisher and Dempster. Expect us to take a KPD at 41 (possibly Nielson/Ramsey) or in the rookie draft (Beasley, Le Grice, Cam Delaney). But reaching for McDonald at 22? Eh, not sure.

G'day KM,

First off, thanks for the fantastic effort you put in throughout the year, always love reading your insights
Secondly, I've seen a couple of mocks mentioning De Goey's legspeed as a strength, and a few people mentioning it as a weakness. Just wondering how you rate his pace/acceleration and to what degree he uses it?

Thanks in advance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potentially who could be the big slider this year?
Membrey was toughted to be a top 20 pick a couple of years ago and he went in the 60's i think.
Tom Lamb maybe?

KM, it seems like this year's top 10 is the most open & unpredictable it has been for a couple years. Going on various media and bigfooty phantom drafts it seems there is only a consensus about the top 3, after that opinions are very mixed.

Last year I recall Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Bontempelli, KK, Scharenberg, Freeman, Sheed & Lennon all went pretty much as expected in the top 12, plus obviously McDonald F/S.

Perhaps it will become more clear closer to the draft. Do you think the clubs are playing their cards closer to their chest this year or are just undecided?

I think this is because no one side had two picks inside the top ten that weren't in sequence. Now that GWS have three picks inside this year, and not all in sequence we will rightfully not know who Collingwood are interested in, or GWS for that matter.

There have been some recent suggestions that Melbourne won't take McCartin at 3, possibly DeGoey or Laverde with a very outside chance of Cockatoo (which I would actually be very happy about, my amateurish opinion is that he'll end up a great player).

The reasoning is that McCartin carries some risk with his diabetes and the mids present a lower risk. Lever also has some risk with no recent playing form.

There have been some recent suggestions that Melbourne won't take McCartin at 3, possibly DeGoey or Laverde with a very outside chance of Cockatoo (which I would actually be very happy about, my amateurish opinion is that he'll end up a great player).

The reasoning is that McCartin carries some risk with his diabetes and the mids present a lower risk. Lever also has some risk with no recent playing form.

Where are these "suggestions" from ? Why would Mahoney state publicly it would come down to the famous 4 ? He even publicly named the four when there was no need to. There's also no need for a smokescreen. More likely it's Chinese whispers and people putting 2 and 2 together and getting 3. And how unprofessional do you think our footy department is to be leaking such sensitive information if it were true ? Surely we're now beyond that.

Most of all it doesn't make sense to overlook McCartin. And if it doesn't make sense it won't happen. Diabetes is highly manageable.

Last edited:
Have heard Weller is a big chance at 5 - not willing to reveal source let's just see if it happens

We seem to hear quite a bit of, "I can't reveal source...", "I have it on good authority...", "a little birdie tells me..." So you'll have to forgive us if we don't pay too much attention to such posts. If you actually have a source, to be credible they'd have to be very very inner sanctum at the Pies, because they, more than any club, don't want their thoughts published this year, and you'd do well to ignore any intel that makes it out of their four walls.

I dont profess to have any inside info, but am suspicious of the big spike in rumours about Laverde definitively not being Collingwood's primary target. Let's face it, it'd be a lot more beneficial for the club to have misleading information circulating. I know I'd be leaking my disinterest in him, if he was indeed the guy I wanted. Weller may well be their target, but I doubt it a little. Something I doubt more is that their preference is for De Goey, as his is the name that seemed to suspiciously pop up just as the Laverde rumours went cold.

Where are these "suggestions" from ? Why would Mahoney state publicly it would come down to the famous 4 ? He even publicly named the four when there was no need to. There's also no need for a smokescreen. More likely it's Chinese whispers and people putting 2 and 2 together and getting 3. And how unprofessional do you think our footy department is to be leaking such sensitive information if it were true ? Surely we're now beyond that.

Most of all it doesn't make sense to overlook McCartin. And if it doesn't make sense it won't happen. Diabetes is highly manageable.

I heard that Mahoney interview and I'm not convinced that the four that was mentioned by the radio host are the four that they're actually looking at. Also don't forget what Roos said earlier in the year about talking tall forwards early in the draft out of the vic u/18's system, using his comments as a guide it would not 'make sense' at all to take McCartin. As for my source, with this one they're not solid enough to rely on it, but I thought I'd pass it on anyway.

My own personal preference is to take two mids but I really haven't seen them all enough to have a qualified opinion, I am however a lot more comfortable with who we have in charge now compared to previous years. The player I want I'm sure everyone on here would think he's no chance of a top 3 pick.

How many current AFL players have diabetes? Does anyone know if there are any?

I heard that Mahoney interview and I'm not convinced that the four that was mentioned by the radio host are the four that they're actually looking at. Also don't forget what Roos said earlier in the year about talking tall forwards early in the draft out of the vic u/18's system, using his comments as a guide it would not 'make sense' at all to take McCartin. As for my source, with this one they're not solid enough to rely on it, but I thought I'd pass it on anyway.

My own personal preference is to take two mids but I really haven't seen them all enough to have a qualified opinion, I am however a lot more comfortable with who we have in charge now compared to previous years. The player I want I'm sure everyone on here would think he's no chance of a top 3 pick.

Jack Fitzpatrick from your club is one.

Jamie Cripps at west coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back