Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone knows you're easily pleased Percy! :D

Some need to watch the game again, with a focus on our F50 entries (rather than possessions on the wing).
;) granted.

He may have struggled in the forward line, but so did just about every other tall forward on both sides.

But he was good when he played a sort of second ruck / rover role around the ground and played his part in somehow keeping the ball away from Selwood.

Stats don't always describe the whole story, but consider this in comparison to the other three big men (Gardiner / McEvoy / Stanley):

- he had more tackles (3) than Stanley / McEvoy / Gardiner (1 each)

- he had more 1%ers (4) than Gardiner (3), McEvoy (1) and Stanley (0 !)

- he had more marks (3) than the Stanley and McEcoy (2 each) (Gardiner 8)

- he had more contested marks (2) than McEvoy (1) and Gardiner (0) (Stanley 2)

- he had more possessions (11) than McEvoy (7) and Stanley (6) (Gardiner 16)

- he had more contested possessions (5) than McEvoy (4) and Gardiner (2) (Stanley 6)

- he had the same amount of hitouts as McEvoy (5 each) (Gardiner 16)

He has improved every week now and is starting to run into some form - just in time for the finals !?

and he kicked the same amount of goals as McEvoy (0), Gardiner (0) and Stanley (0).

Maybe next week he can improve enough to trouble the scoreboard

and he kicked the same amount of goals as McEvoy (0), Gardiner (0) and Stanley (0).

Maybe next week he can improve enough to trouble the scoreboard

Yep Lets get rid of Kosi, McEvoy, Gardiner and Stanley.
And the Cats can get rid of Podsiadly, Mooney and Blake. :rolleyes:

Notwithstanding the conditions, that was a very poor display of body positioning and second efforts. Just let Lonergan dictate play from the front and there were far too many no contests. Got very frustrated with that performance. McEvoy goes forward, plays in front and draws the free (and should have got a second).

2nd efforts were poor yes, but not the body positioning. At least twice, Kosi was running back towards goal with Lonergan following him. Now we know footballers struggle with IQ at times, so it was no surprise to see them kick straight to Kosi in this situation, when a kick 5 metres to the side with depth to allow him to run onto it was the way.

His presence can be best summed up in the 3rd quarter when Goddard got it in long to Kosi, who was 1 on 3 against and still came up with the free kick.

I reckon half the time, we'd better kicking the ball into space and making Kosi lead there, rather than have him dictating terms.

2nd efforts were poor yes, but not the body positioning. At least twice, Kosi was running back towards goal with Lonergan following him. Now we know footballers struggle with IQ at times, so it was no surprise to see them kick straight to Kosi in this situation, when a kick 5 metres to the side with depth to allow him to run onto it was the way.

His presence can be best summed up in the 3rd quarter when Goddard got it in long to Kosi, who was 1 on 3 against and still came up with the free kick.

I reckon half the time, we'd better kicking the ball into space and making Kosi lead there, rather than have him dictating terms.

I noticed when I watched the replay last night, that Kosi was pointing to space asking the midfield to do exactly that plenty of times....most times they sailed it in front which is exactly what the Cats defence seem to want.

it is rediculous, surely they know that Kozi is at his best on the run. So why not pop it to his advantage where he can get a run to the drop without engaging in a one on one which restricts his ability greatly.

Against Essendon this year they did it a few times and he brought down a couple of beautys and finished with 3 goals.

The free kick wasn't even there (he was holding Scarlett's arm, although I have little sympathy as Scarlett gets away with plenty) and he missed the shot on goal anyway!!!

If you watch the tape, Lonergan played a few metres in front and Kosi was effectively asking guys to kick long with a wet ball. What normally happens? It falls short. You can't ask the guys to kick to a certain spot with depth in those conditions.

The tactic has to be to get your body in front and ensure the ball falls to our advantage if you can't mark it! In the front position he would have been able to control play. At the back, he has little chance of being effective (even if the ball spills over the back, he isn't quick enough at ground level).

Absolutely no surprise to see Lonergan have the game-high 8 spoils - and he could have marked a few of these as Kosi was not going to make a realistic contest.

Whilst we're all busy, I'd love one of the regular posters watch the tape and just focus on the F50 entries and where Kosi was positioned. Then come back and tell me you still disagree.

Two of his possessions came in 30 seconds on the wing, when he came off interchange with no opponent. Had no possessions in two quarters and gave away two unnecessary free kicks.

I'm not saying he's no good, I'm not saying he's not in the best 22, I just find it amazing we bang on about anything good he does and ignore the rest - whilst players like Rob Eddy (and Dempster) get no support at all - despite trying just as hard as Kosi.

I watched the replay, and it gave me a new appreciation of how he contributed to the goals scored.

Where he may of crashed a pack that resulted in a goal, used his body to prevent Scarlett spoiling a bouncing goal, I remember an occasion when he knew he wouldn't take a mark so instead tapped it straight into Schneiders hands.

If Kosi didn't play, our smalls certainly wouldn't have kicked 9 between them.

In contrast, to me Pods looked like he was beginning to appreciate the toll of consistent 'bash and crash' week in week out.

Where he may of crashed a pack that resulted in a goal, used his body to prevent Scarlett spoiling a bouncing goal, I remember an occasion when he knew he wouldn't take a mark so instead tapped it straight into Schneiders hands.

This is what I mean. People go over the top with what he does and ignore all the other similar efforts by other players.

The shepherd on Milne's goal - it was going through anyway! (I think he was shepherding Enright too)

Crediting him with a "tap" to Schneider is ridiculous - Kosi is a ball player and after cannoning into teammates year after year you think he's suddenly decided not to try and mark the ball and saw (using his newly found spacial awareness) Schneider hitting the pack at full pace??? Can't you accept that Schneider just read the play better than anyone else?

Other players do this stuff instictively and without fanfare. If you need to credit Kosi with these things, then I'll take that as him having a pretty shitty night.

No doubt Kosi provides us structure, but he allowed Lonergan to take the front position too easily and provided minimal defensive pressure. Those who saw One Week at a Time would have seen they were aware of the issue (they showed a number of plays focusing on Kosi, even though there was a million other things to discuss).

There was one play where Ablett snatched the ball from near Kosi and ran off - fair enough, Ablett's a good player. But then Kosi stopped and did not run after him thinking "Oh, he's too quick for me".

That is not Saints Footy. Who knows - with a wet ball Ablett might have fumled, or propped to get around another player (which would have allowed Kosi to apply a tackle or at least pressure).

The time he had the ball at half forward, dicked around with it and then kicked to Schneider 2-on-1 (including Scarlett). If Rob Eddy kicked to Kosi 2-on-1, people would say he's a poor decision maker.

It just astounds me that there are so many apologists, who never admit when one of their favs plays poorly. X and Goose were favourites of mine, but if they played a poor game I wasn't blind to reality.

We are trying to build for something special, and the fact is that it rains in Spring in Melbourne. There is no point just going "Oh well, the conditions didn't suit the boys". The big guys can still be effective - just in different ways, like screening for smaller teammates to allow them to mark within range. One of our best marks of all time (Loewe) used to do this on a regular basis.

I don't want to try and convince you otherwise Squizzy, you have your opinion, I have mine. I thought he was easily the most effective forward out there, nothing about defending my favourite player, I just see it differently. It's all good....

The free kick wasn't even there (he was holding Scarlett's arm, although I have little sympathy as Scarlett gets away with plenty) and he missed the shot on goal anyway!!!

If you watch the tape, Lonergan played a few metres in front and Kosi was effectively asking guys to kick long with a wet ball. What normally happens? It falls short. You can't ask the guys to kick to a certain spot with depth in those conditions.

The tactic has to be to get your body in front and ensure the ball falls to our advantage if you can't mark it! In the front position he would have been able to control play. At the back, he has little chance of being effective (even if the ball spills over the back, he isn't quick enough at ground level).

It's difficult to have the front position in a marking contest when you have pushed up the field and are on the counter heading back towards goal. To be in front you basically have to run behind your opponent back to the goalsquare (hard to do).

On Friday night on multiple occasions the ball was kicked with enough depth to him, the point I was trying to get across was that it needed to be 5m wide of him to get him a clean run at it. Watch Goddard deliver the ball to him inside 50 (or Goddard delivering it to anyone), he will generally always kick it to a forward's advantage, because he dictates where they should lead to.

In regards to the free kick that was paid against Scarlett that was soft, but he definitely should have received one in the instance where Schneider roved the pack and goaled in the 2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard delivering it to anyone

but he definitely should have received one in the instance where Schneider roved the pack and goaled in the 2nd.

Goddard isn't a good example - Kosi could have fallen over and the Red Bull would still hit him on the tit :D

I must admit I didn't watch for a free (no doubt Kosi is infringed a hell of a lot without getting rewarded - but that seems to be part of the package unfortunately), as I was too busy quietly saying "SCHHHNNNNEEEIDEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR".

Goddard isn't a good example - Kosi could have fallen over and the Red Bull would still hit him on the tit :D

I must admit I didn't watch for a free (no doubt Kosi is infringed a hell of a lot without getting rewarded - but that seems to be part of the package unfortunately), as I was too busy quietly saying "SCHHHNNNNEEEIDEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR".

No doubt on BJ.

Our kicking into forward 50 can be sloppy at times. Look at Joey's effort to Milne in the 2nd. Hit him on the chest and it's a shot from dead in front, 25m out. Instead Joey hits him on the half volley and a hurried snap for a goal is the result.

I was certain Kosi would have been given a free given he was mauled head high and then arm chopped, but the Scheniderman turned on the after jets and goaled.

I noticed when I watched the replay last night, that Kosi was pointing to space asking the midfield to do exactly that plenty of times....most times they sailed it in front which is exactly what the Cats defence seem to want.

Now you're all questioning the delivery to him??? Forgive the midfield for not handing him the ball on a platter.

delivery is the most important part to a forwards success. Particuly a tall forward, where they rely on good passes so they can effectivley have an impact on the game. Whether or not Kozi had good/bad positioning, a good ball in makes all the difference.

For my own general amusement, I watched part of the game again.

Guide - whilst I saw some contact from Lonergan, I wouldn't have paid a free.

S4E - you need to watch the Schneider goal again - Kosi was 100% trying to mark it as he always does. And most of the scores from the small forwards had nothing to do with long kicks to our tall forwards. Again, the false credit is kinda irritating.

anyone listening to sen on monday afternoon when they said about the whisper about kosi heading to the gold coast, unusual day to start a rumour as mondays is a plenty of news day.

In that case... Kosi , amazing player!, defenitely one of the elite, only a fraction behind Riewoldt as a forward, better than Cox in the ruck..

We have a lot of pumping up to do.:D

Like I said, you blokes don't rate the guy highly enough. Clearly the most effective tall forward on Friday night despite terrible delivery from the midfield. I'd say he was involved in most of the goals that the small forwards kicked. And he was held by Lonergan when Schneider kicked that goal!!!

What's astounded me lately is his brilliant ability to play in sunny conditions. If only we Saints had 25ish degrees and sunny weather all year around - he'd take out the Coleman every time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back