Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

Good stuff in the ruck.

Terrible up forward, although probably tougher this week than last.

I didn't think he was that terrible up forward. Did some good things and wasn't worse than Hall. When you put him in the ruck Gardiner or King has to play forward and they provide even less defensive pressure which is crucial against the Bulldogs with their rebounding defenders. We rolled the dice when we had to in the last 5 minutes but I dont think we can play Kosi in ruck for parts of the game with King and Gardiner in the team, at least against quality opponents.
Thought it was harsh when the crowd gave him bronx cheers in the last quarter. At least he shoved it up them and helped win us the match.

I didn't think he was that terrible up forward. Did some good things and wasn't worse than Hall. When you put him in the ruck Gardiner or King has to play forward and they provide even less defensive pressure which is crucial against the Bulldogs with their rebounding defenders. We rolled the dice when we had to in the last 5 minutes but I dont think we can play Kosi in ruck for parts of the game with King and Gardiner in the team, at least against quality opponents.
Thought it was harsh when the crowd gave him bronx cheers in the last quarter. At least he shoved it up them and helped win us the match.
Agreed.

Bronx cheers are not on no matter the situation.

It was the Bulldog fans in my area who were paying out on Kosi - after they gave him bronx cheers the third time in 10 minutes it was getting pretty gay.

Kosi looked like a new man in the ruck and jumped all over Hudson who tired after a terrific performance. Kosi ran all over the ground to present. If people are happy for him to sit at FF and occasionally kick a bag against ordinary opposition instead of that ruckwork they are crazy. Cuckoo Cuckoo!!!

As a forward, he simply confirmed everything that I had been saying. Lazy, sloppy, very ordinary. But I thought his ruckwork towards the end was a masterstroke.

Was he captain tonight?

Some pople are being far too harsh on Kosi.

The fact is he doesn't have the leg speed or the endurance to get any sort of separation from his opponent. So he lives and dies by his contested grab, a tough way to make a living in the modern game.

If we could find another leading forward (Lynch or Stanley) i could see Kosi being able to ruck and then pinch hit up forward, a role we all know he is better suited to.

The ball keeps getting too far past him when he leads inside forward 50, so it gives the defender a chance. Although given the circumstances last night, it was forgivable. He was still hitting packs hard and that kick which set up Armo's goal in the last was so simple but oh so effective.

Keep it up big fella, you're having a red hot crack.

Thought Kosi was better last night than he was last week. Really worked hard up forward and kicked a crucial goal in the first quarter.

Did well when he went in the ruck in the last quarter too and I think we should look at using him there more often.

Thought Kosi was better last night than he was last week. Really worked hard up forward and kicked a crucial goal in the first quarter.

Did well when he went in the ruck in the last quarter too and I think we should look at using him there more often.

I really thought he did not give a contest at all, in particular the ruck where Hudson was all over him for majority of the last quarter. I will give him time(patience is wearing thin) but there is no excuse for not at least contesting.

I really thought he did not give a contest at all, in particular the ruck where Hudson was all over him for majority of the last quarter. I will give him time(patience is wearing thin) but there is no excuse for not at least contesting.

Yeah well he still wasn't great and there's definitely plenty of room for improvement.

He was better than last week though, which I guess wasn't too hard.

I haven't posted an opinion about Stanley because I thought it was pretty obvious that RL was going to keep him under wraps this year BUT we need a second forward. If Stanley was to come in then I think Kosi's game would lift. Have to give him a try. We have no forward structure at the moment.

I haven't posted an opinion about Stanley because I thought it was pretty obvious that RL was going to keep him under wraps this year BUT we need a second forward. If Stanley was to come in then I think Kosi's game would lift. Have to give him a try. We have no forward structure at the moment.

Preaching to the converted.

In ideal circumstances with Riewoldt fit we could afford to let Stanley develop in the VFL. Desperate times call for desperate measures though and we need to fasttrack the kid.

The NAB Cup showed he won't be out of his depth at this level so I'm not sure why Lyon is reluctant to play him. The Dogs had two young talls playing last night in Grant and Roughead who aren't any better than Stanley. Give him a go, we have nothing to lose. Our forward line was a disaster for most of the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After Riewoldt got injured, I did a lot of research for his replacement in my Supercoach team. After reading about how he dominated the last time Riewoldt missed a bunch of games (albeit 5 years ago) I took a big risk and went with Kosi. After talking him up to my mates, I well and truely got egg on my face after his performance against Port. Hoping that it was the wet and windy conditions and being a bit rusty after 3 weeks out. Need a big performance from him this week under the roof of Etihad but I'm getting used to the fact that I may have made a big mistake. It was always a risk though - would've paid off handsomely (and still can).

ok a few weeks after my big gamble, I'm back with my tail between my legs. Looking back it was a stupid move and was never going to work out but the appeal of making a ballsy and potentially brilliant trade was too much.
This will leave a bad taste in my mouth and I'll taste it everytime I see Kosi on the TV. He has dropped 80k in that time and now I'll do a sideways trade for a 28yo rookie who is at a similar price but is showing Kosi how its done. I have noone else to blame but myself. Goodbye Kosi!

Agreed 100%. To be honest I've only see him play in the NAB cup, but I really don't think it'd be fair on the kid to play alone without Kosi. Kosi can play designated decoy and tie up a better defender. If it doesn't work he can always be thrown into the ruck.

I feel a little too much hope is being put in Stanley, but the kid needs a crack and we need to give him a shot.

Anybody in here, even those of us who have defended him, would have told you it was a stupid decision to trade for him.

Even a Justin Koschitzke in full flight is not a SC or DT player.

As for tonight, I'm sure he's going to cop it. We desperately needed more from him and I'm starting to think we're not going to get that from him in the forward line. I did feel sorry for him when he made some strong leads and our midfielders continually missed him. There was one instance where he had Jamison by a couple of metres with Farren Ray streaming through the middle of the ground and he missed him by 5 metres.

I'd go as far as saying next week is a make or break game for him. Another poor one and we'll have to seriously look at giving him a run in the VFL.

Look at Waite tonight. His first game back from a stint in the VFL and he had 5 marks at the 15 minute mark of the first quarter.

I'm a big fan and nothing would make me happier than seeing him deliver on his potential. I'm just starting to think that it's not going to happen unless he is dropped to the VFL.

What does everybody else think?

I think a stint in the VFL would do him some good. The worrying thing for mine was how many times he got bumped to the ground, eliminating his ability to apply pressure. His tackling is poor, and that's where he hurts us being the lone man up forward. The fact is, since Kosi came back for us we have started to show poor form - we looked good without him against Freo.

I would like to see him dropped for a VFL stint, bring in Stanley and tell him to tackle the living crap out of his opponents.

ok a few weeks after my big gamble, I'm back with my tail between my legs. Looking back it was a stupid move and was never going to work out but the appeal of making a ballsy and potentially brilliant trade was too much.
This will leave a bad taste in my mouth and I'll taste it everytime I see Kosi on the TV. He has dropped 80k in that time and now I'll do a sideways trade for a 28yo rookie who is at a similar price but is showing Kosi how its done. I have noone else to blame but myself. Goodbye Kosi!

who cares? This is not the dreamteM thread. Why the he'll would you pick him instead of possiadily anyway? You are stupid and deserve to lose a trade.

Whilst nothing would have pleased me more than to be proven wrong, to me Kosi is too easily moved off the line of the ball for a guy of his size and has insufficient mobility at ground level to contribute to the Saints' hallmark tackle pressure.

Having Roo out hasn't been the positive for him that people had hoped for.

I fully appreciate that the Saints had a good season last year, but with 3 goals from Kosi in 3 games during the finals series surely there is another alternative structure.

The pinch hitting of different players up forward for short bursts hasn't worked, and the players up field need a system they can work to under pressure. If they can't remember who is in the forward line and where they tend to lead to, our patterns of play will tend to look ugly. I don't mind if the coaches do it in the odd game where they can isolate a match-up, but all we have done with rotating people through is confused our own team which has (in the past) thrived on knowing what each other is going to do.

I'm hoping that if King is out, it will force the hand of the Saints and make them play Kosi off the bench as the second ruckman (not the gun ruckman that GT seems to think he is). I still feel he can be a very valuable contributor in this role.

We have a number of taller defenders in Dawson, Fisher, Gwilt, Clarke, Blake and Gilbert. We don't need them all down back - especially if the opposition plays a mobile forward line - but obviously some are not suited to playing as forwards.

Anyone who saw Maguire as a forward with Sandy would have realised how valuable it can be to have a defender who can make the switch and play a whole game as a forward. Changed his goalkicking technique (which was fairly ordinary) and became very effective - even in windy conditions.

Unfortunately Zac, Raph, Blakey and Gilbo's kicking for goal probably doesn't lend itself to a move into the forward line. Gwilt has been tried there before, but the guys just don't tend to use him when he finds space (despite being a decent kick for goal).

I won't say that Podsiadly would have been perfect for the team.

I will not be seduced if Kosi comes out and kicks 5 against an average opponent or where the Saints dominate general play. Yes, it's nice when you have someone to finish the work off - but there is no reason Kosi can't get forward even when playing in the ruck.

Anyway, that's enough from me as you know where I'm heading.

Iv'e seen other teams with Forward line changes trying to adjust to things.
Carlton themselves looked disfunctional without Fevola at the start of the season.
Bradshaw was out of sorts for weeks at Sydney.

At the Saints we try a player for half of a quarter of footy, doesnt work, move on to the next one.
Lyon needs to decide who is playing the role and play them.
It could be Sam Fisher, it could be Gilbert or we could try Cahill or Stanley. But they will need to find a structure and committ to it.

Yes they may be shit for a game or two , so was Bradshaw, and he's been a forward a lot longer than any of these guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back