MRP / Trib. Kossie Pickett hit on Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be able to get off on appeal downgrading from high impact to low and get away with a fine which would be a good result.

No idea how Kozzie gets high impact when Smith bounced up and played out the game while Collins goes off for concussion testing and Buddy gets medium impact 🤔
The AFL at its finest.

Agree, but that has been the precedent for years.
I don’t think there’s much precedent for this sort of incident. I understand precedent for gradings in general have always considered result when offering a verdict on impact. It’s looking fairly likely they’ve not done that with either the Kozzy or the Buddy suspensions.

One thing is for certain. Luck has played a big part here, importantly for Smith.

Should be able to get off on appeal downgrading from high impact to low and get away with a fine which would be a good result.

No idea how Kozzie gets high impact when Smith bounced up and played out the game while Collins goes off for concussion testing and Buddy gets medium impact 🤔

I agree - even though, as per an earlier post, I think this should have gone straight to the tribunal for 3-4 weeks. The grading of careless is nonsense. The MRP are implicitly endorsing this as a tactic to physically affect an opponent - it’s okay as long as you are careful is what they are saying.

It deserves to be appealed and reduced to show them how stupid that grading is.

Regards

S. Pete

They also factor in the wonderfully vague "potential to cause injury" "particularly with significant head contact and/or Player momentum".

Yeah not gonna lie I love Kozzy but this was a very, very poor act and honestly reckon he should get 3 weeks. No more than that though due to the fact Smith walked off fine.

Because within the rules it can be upgraded due to the potential to cause injury, as it has been in this instance.

Pickett is just lucky he hit one of the leagues tough men in Smith and not one of the soft campaigners who would have gotten him a 6 week suspension
Bevo looked like he'd just come off a six week bender in his presser, but he did us a solid when he said that Smith was fine after the incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree - even though, as per an earlier post, I think this should have gone straight to the tribunal for 3-4 weeks. The grading of careless is nonsense. The MRP are implicitly endorsing this as a tactic to physically affect an opponent - it’s okay as long as you are careful is what they are saying.

It deserves to be appealed and reduced to show them how stupid that grading is.

Regards

S. Pete
Yeah, I'm trying to work out how it wasn't graded as intentional.

High impact is a bit of a laugh, isn't it?
Bailey's weak as piss and he was fine afterwards.
Careless and high impact both don't really make sense.

IMO they've set a bad precedent by grading all bumps as careless.

Just call it Intentional and medium impact.

If they wanted to stamp acts like this out, start giving out 10 weeks instead of 2 and stop giving brownlows to players that run past the ball and head high bump as well. Not saying this deserved any more than 2, but 2 ain't going to stop players going for head high bumps. Hope they learn something from the class action lawsuit

I’m not excusing him, as above I feel he deserves a long holiday, but he wasn’t launching himself at his head. He was clearly going for the chest but he miscalculated and there’s absolutely no room to do that when you jump. What he did was stupid and dangerous, but it was hardly a Tom Stewart style “I want to hurt this prick” brain fart
Agree with what you are saying
But the more I see the footage there were other options
He had time to go the smother or completely avoid the contact altogether

Glad the Tribunal did the right thing

They also factor in the wonderfully vague "potential to cause injury" "particularly with significant head contact and/or Player momentum".
How do they measure that? Seems pretty arbitrary, in what circumstances could it have caused injury that differed from the actual incident?

If they wanted to stamp acts like this out, start giving out 10 weeks instead of 2 and stop giving brownlows to players that run past the ball and head high bump as well. Not saying this deserved any more than 2, but 2 ain't going to stop players going for head high bumps. Hope they learn something from the class action lawsuit
Did he even get him in the head? Looks like a shoulder tackle, if he connected with his head Smith would've been knocked into next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back