"Krakouer Back In Roos' Fold" - The Age....4/03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Krakouer back in Roos' fold
By Mark Duffield and Lyall Johnson
March 4, 2005

Jimmy Krakouer and Daniel Wells in Perth.
Photo: Iain Gillespie

Jim Krakouer takes a first step in his return to his old club.

Former North Melbourne champion Jim Krakouer was welcomed back by his former club yesterday, assisting in Kangaroos' training as they prepared to face West Coast in a Wizard Cup semi-final at Subiaco tonight.

It was the first step in what Kangaroos football manager Tim Harrington described as "welcoming him back into the fold". Harrington said the club wanted to involve Krakouer further when he shifted to Melbourne but plans were "in the early stages".

Krakouer, whose son Andrew was one of Richmond's best players last season, paid particular attention to star Roo Daniel Wells. The former champion rover, 46, looked fit and showed some of his trademark foot skills.

Krakouer played 134 games for North and won the club's best and fairest in 1986. He is making his way in life after serving nine years of a 16-year jail term for a drugs offence. He left jail on work release last August and plans to move to Melbourne when his parole conditions allow later this year.

advertisement

advertisement

Meanwhile, Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley said yesterday the side going into tonight's game was the best 22 the club could put on the park - even in the absence of Glenn Archer.

Despite professing a strong desire to win the pre-season competition, Laidley, who yesterday signed a further two-year contract that will keep him at the Arden Street until the end of 2007, said his plan always had been for Archer to rest in preparation for round one of the home-and-away season and allow the club to further trial young players.

The Kangaroos have been in the unenviable position of losing thousands of games worth of experience over the past two years through retirements and others leaving the club. Laidley is keenly aware of the need to bring through the next generation of players.

"(The Wizard Cup) is important, but having said that, round one is just as important," Laidley said yesterday. "(Saverio) Rocca and Archer don't go (to Perth tonight) because that was our plans all the way through - to rest Leigh Colbert for the first two games, play Glenn Archer and then bring in Colbert and rest Archer.

"Sav Rocca hasn't missed any practice games yet, so we just thought it was appropriate that he not go. Which gives us another chance to try one of our young drafted kids over the last couple of years because we are looking for those next guys.

"So we have probably played five or six now to see which of those guys are going to step up and play round one."

Laidley acknowledged that West Coast was firming as favourite to win the pre-season cup but suggested his side was as good as he could muster given his preparation for the season proper. "Personally right now, I reckon no teams would know their best 22," Laidley said.

"That's what these games are for, to find your best 22 for the year, to play some young guys who have had great pre-seasons to put their case forward, because if you don't play them and say this is our best 22, you'll go nowhere.

"All the guys we've brought in have done terrifically well and pushed themselves up for round one."

WEST COAST v KANGAROOS
Subiaco, 9pm (Melbourne time)
TV: Channel 9, 9pm Radio: 774 ABC, 8.45pm
Umpires: Schmitt, Wenn, Ryan, Woodcock.

BETTING
Today: WC $1.35, Kang $2.90
Wizard Cup: WC $2.25, Kang $4.15
AFL premiership: WC $8.50, Kang $61

WHO SHOULD WE WATCH?
West Coast: To see the progress of Michael Gardiner as he continues his return from a knee reconstruction. Ben Cousins rarely fails to be entertaining.
Kangaroos: Daniel Wells and the Kangaroos’ smaller brigade as they go up against possibly the best midfield in the business, albeit without Chris Judd and Andrew Embley.

THE SQUADS
WEST COAST: 1 Michael Gardiner, 4 Daniel Kerr, 5 Tyson Stenglein, 6 Drew Banfield, 7 Chad Fletcher, 8 Jeremy Humm, 9 Ben Cousins, 10 Michael Braun, 13 Josh Wooden, 14 Mark Seaby, 16 Damien Adkins, 17 Daniel Chick, 18 Rowan Jones, 19 Mark LeCras, 21 Quinten Lynch, 22 Beau Waters, 23 Darren Glass, 25 Daniel McConnell, 26 Sam Butler, 28 Ashley Sampi, 29 Ashley Hansen, 37 Adam Selwood, 38 Brett Jones, 39 Adam Hunter, 40 Michael Embley, 41 Brent Staker, 44 David Wirrpunda, 48 Jaymie Graham.

KANGAROOS: 2 Leigh Colbert, 3 Brady Rawlings, 4 Daniel Harris, 5 Corey McKernan, 6 Shannon Grant, 7 Adam Simpson, 8 Daniel Wells, 9 Jess Sinclair, 12 Michael Stevens, 16 Leigh Brown, 17 Blake Grima, 19 Daniel Motlop, 20 Drew Petrie, 21 Corey Jones, 23 Nathan Thompson, 25 Lance Picioane, 27 John Baird, 29 Brent Harvey, 30 Daniel Pratt, 31 David Hale, 32 Eddie Sansbury, 33 Hamish McIntosh, 34 Ben Schwarze, 35 Troy Makepeace, 36 Shannon Watt, 39 Leigh Harding, 40 Brent LeCras, 43 Justin Perkins.

Welcome back Jimmy. The pic of he and Wellsy, in NMFC gear, with Wellsy's arm around Jimmy almost brings a tear to the eye. Sensational!

If anyone knows how to add the pic of the two NMFC champions, please do. Thanks.

T'toes

pt_jk_sw_0403_ent-lead__200x257.jpg

Hi guys this is a great way to talk with other roo supporters im new to this im a kangaroos fan and have been a member and love the club. my name is adam and i live in w.a only been here 18 mnths.I moved from melb where i was a afl member.I was at training last night and it was good to see jimmy krakouer talking with wells and motlop.I think the boys got a boost by seeing him and i hope he can help out in the future when he goes back to melb and maybe convince his son to came back to the blue and white we will give them shane harvey. :).

Its so good to see supporters there yeserday and i cant wait for tonight im so pumped and wasnt it great to see wells on the back of the west australian today.I was there with my daughter yesterday. Watch out we are goin places this year and we have a young list so we will be up there for yrs to came.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He made a mistake and he has payed for it and now its time for him to be a good citizen and he was a great player for the roos and he could teach the younger blokes all about fame and the dangers that came with it.So lets welcome him back and show wat sort of club we are and he can be there to help.

ROO BOY IN W.A said:
Its so good to see supporters there yeserday and i cant wait for tonight im so pumped and wasnt it great to see wells on the back of the west australian today.I was there with my daughter yesterday. Watch out we are goin places this year and we have a young list so we will be up there for yrs to came.

Ahhh... were you the guy who was trying to get your daughter down from the top of the stairs

ROO BOY IN W.A said:
He made a mistake and he has payed for it and now its time for him to be a good citizen and he was a great player for the roos and he could teach the younger blokes all about fame and the dangers that came with it.So lets welcome him back and show wat sort of club we are and he can be there to help.
its racial tokenism if you ask me.

hes a convicted rapist, killer and drug dealer. keep him away from our club hes disgraced it enough IMO.

Originally Posted by kangas_mate
id rather keep our young blokes well away from the raping, killing, drug pushing scum bag.

This really doesn't deserve a response kangas_mate but, I can't help myself because I'm disgusted by it.

Jimmy's a North man, through and through. Part of our North family. He f***ed up, sure, but he's family nonetheless. I watched and listened to the crap he put up with, at places like Vic Park, in the '80's, and it sickened me. He put up with more than his fair share and he always stood up for himself and Phil. He was the better of the brilliant Krakouer brother pairing and it's magnificent to see a humble, reformed, happy prodigal son alongside our current day champion of the same heritage.

We're not Richmond here kangas_mate. All opinions are welcome but I personally draw the line at the unnecessary slur you made about one of our favourite sons in Jimmy. Tone it down at least.

BTW, I couldn't disagree with your opinion more. I reckon he could teach our kids more in a day than any other typical ex footballer could in a month..................about life and his mistakes. Not to mention the fact he was a bloody champion................of North Melbourne no less.

Rant over

T'toes

Originally Posted by sross
Totally agree with you T'toes. Is there any way we can keep kangas_mate away, I would prefer Jimmy's company any day after reading the drivel he has posted on this and the main board. Certainly would be one poster I would not miss, a disgrace to the Blue and White

Interesting question sross, and one I can't answer. Mods?

I want everyone to support the roos but, if I want to read a redneck opinion like that posted above, I'll just take out a copy of Mein Kampf. I just don't know how you could treat one of our greats like that.

Ah well..........kangas_mate was too young to even see how great Jimmy was. There's often a hint of ignorance in his posts. I just hope that's all it is though, ignorance, because there seemed a hint of something a little more than just ignorance. If so, then I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly sross. It's time to go................................kangas_mate!

T'toes

;)
Twinkletoes said:
This really doesn't deserve a response kangas_mate but, I can't help myself because I'm disgusted by it.

Jimmy's a North man, through and through. Part of our North family.

I watched and listened to the crap he put up with, at places like Vic Park, in the '80's, and it sickened me. He put up with more than his fair share and he always stood up for himself and Phil. He was the better of the brilliant
Krakouer brother pairing and it's magnificent to see a humble, reformed, happy prodigal son alongside our current day champion of the same heritage.

We're not Richmond here kangas_mate. All opinions are welcome but I personally draw the line at the unnecessary slur you made about one of our favourite sons in Jimmy. Tone it down at least.

BTW, Not to mention the fact he was a bloody champion................of North Melbourne no less.

Rant over

T'toes

FANTASTIC PICTURE

I didn't realise Wellsy was so tall, or Krakoeur was so short? ;)

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
Might not be surprised to know this, but I'm fairly sure kangas_mate is not a north supporter.

Apparently he's a bit of a superstar down Glenferrie way.
hahahaha nicely played.

Twinkletoes said:

Jimmy's a North man, through and through. Part of our North family. He f***ed up, sure, but he's family nonetheless. I watched and listened to the crap he put up with, at places like Vic Park, in the '80's, and it sickened me. He put up with more than his fair share and he always stood up for himself and Phil. He was the better of the brilliant Krakouer brother pairing and it's magnificent to see a humble, reformed, happy prodigal son alongside our current day champion of the same heritage.

BTW, I couldn't disagree with your opinion more. I reckon he could teach our kids more in a day than any other typical ex footballer could in a month..................about life and his mistakes. Not to mention the fact he was a bloody champion................of North Melbourne no less.

Rant over

T'toes

He's a killer, a rapist and a drug dealer. We shouldn't forget all that just because he kicked a bit of sheep skin around in Kangaroo colours a couple of decades ago. Like Gary Ablett Snr, the guy is scum. Only more so.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Krakouer Back In Roos' Fold" - The Age....4/03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Back