Kruz holds the key to our season

Remove this Banner Ad

Blue Life

Debutant
Jun 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Title pretty much sums up this post. I think more then any other player a fit and firing Kruz will really push us to the next level which would be finishing top 6 (hopefully top 4) and getting a home final. I think with the new interchange rule Kruz's value / potential imapact will be even greater then previous years given his ability to play ruck and rest in the forward line - and I think unlike previous years Kruz can have a real impact down there as he is a year older, wiser, stronger and actually has some tall timber (waite & hendo) around him that wont see him be our number 1 target when he is down there. To date we have only seen one game where he dominated up forward (vs port in 2009 from memory), but i think he is now ready to clunk those big marks in the forward 50. He was really starting to take some great marks around the ground last year pre getting injured and I hope that he continues to grow this area of his game in 2011. Despite Ratts and some media reports talking Kruz up as a ruck rover I see his best position as a ruckman and secondly as a forward. I cant wait to see the big man out there in 2011.

I still can't see Kreuzer as a KPP forward. It should work......it could work......but apart from a 4th Q vs Port it hasn't worked.......and lets face it.......Port in 4th Q's against us are hardly a reasonable yardstick.

He seems far better playing forward when he runs in their from the midfield, getting seperation from his man over distance, but when he starts shoulder to shoulder in the sqaure he just doesn't seem to do it as well.......but early days.

I think Henderson may hold a key for us. Showed at times last year he can mix it with the best. If he starts doing that week in/out he could easily become a 50-60 goal a year forward and we could stop hitting up EB as the "marking option" inside F50.:thumbsu:

Time for Gibbs to start having a regular significant impact in games too.

I don't want to heap any pressure on Humphrey just yet....Murphy and Gibbs need to take a big step though.

Keep in mind Kreuze has come off a knee reco and even before he had his injury many of us were calling for him to be rested.....give him time ;)

Agree that having Kreuzer fit and firing will be important for the team.

But if we seriously want to progress next year we will need improvement across the board and for a number of players to step up and perform on a consistent basis - players like Gibbs and Murphy in the midfield, Yarran, Henderson and Waite. Also, it would be handy if McLean could play most of the season free from injury.

The backline also needs to improve - hopefully Bower and Jammo have better seasons next year, and the introduction of Duigan strenghtens the defence.

I think consistency across the board is what we seem to lack. Plus our recently undesirable KPP situation (out of form, injuries, suspensions) of last season hurt us as well. If Jamo, Austin, Bower, Waite and Hendo can stay fit, play consistently to the levels they are capable of and stay on the park (Jarrad!)we can really push towards top 4.

I love Kruezer, he's a solid ruckman with fantastic 1%ers and follow up work, but he isn't the key to taking the next step. Don't get me wrong, he is a part of the picture, sure, but not the key. His performances are already at the level they need to be to make us a top 4 team, but he'd be one of less than half our list that could make that claim.

Whilst I love the Kruz, I don't think he will be the one that holds the key. I think that falls to several others.

Hendo - Needs to take the next step and become a real target up Fwd.
Waite - Needs to keep his elbows down and work with Hendo to create a dominant 2 prong attack.
Gibbs & Murphy - Both need to get into the guts and give Judd a hand. Imagine if we had 3 Judd like mid's.

The back line - As Harks says, I believe they are the real holders of the key next season. They need to start to work together and really gel as a unit. Understanding of each others game and anticipating each others moves is critical to our teams success.

If we can acheive the above there is no reason why we can't be aiming to finish 5th or 6th next season and be pushing for a top 4 spot in 2012.

I don't think we should be putting all the pressure on Kreuzer to be the key to a successful season, especially coming back after a knee reconstruction.

The key to our season is everyone working together and working their guts out to achieve the best that they can.

He still hasn't completed any competitive training, and I doubt he'll slot straight back in there after Christmas. Last time I was at training, he was running half laps with Curnow. We know from seeing Waite 12 months ago that it does take some time to get back into some form - even picking up the pace of the game. Lets not put any undue pressure on him. We know what levels he can produce.

However, reading the OP, my immediate thought was that Kreuzer is a significant upgrade on Leigh Brown, who really made that second ruck spot his own in 2010. I can see Kreuzer, particularly in the second half of 2011, spening time up forward, in the ruck, and like Ratts said, even playing that Adam Goodes type tall midfielder role.

I agree with most other's here. While he's definitely an important player, Kreuz has admirable back-up in Warnock and Hampson who can at least fill the role.

The one position (and arguably one of the most important) that we couldn't fill properly all last year, was CHB. We all know that even a fit Bower is better suited to a 3rd tall, rebound defender type role.

On this basis, if there is any one player that holds the key for significant team improvement next year, then Austin is our man. Those suggesting that Watson might step straight in are forgetting their own wisdom about bigger bodied players taking longer to come on. Austin has now had several years in the system and, if fit, should be able to slot straight in. If he can make CHB his own and play the position better than Bower did last season, then we have instant improvement right there. Not only does it give us a better structure, but it also frees Bower to do what he does best.

Apart from that, the other players whose (hopefully) natural improvement would greatly benefit the team are:

Yarran - time for this kid to have more regular impacts in games.
Betts - he (and the team) needs to learn that being 10 inches shorter than your defender means you are NOT a marking target (especially when you have no confidence with your set shots!).
Gibbs - but only by going into the midfield again, I thought his playing of a role for the team was important and done well last season.
Lucas - natural improvement here.
Henderson - continued improvement here.
Hampson - will he ever be the player we all hope he can be?

Then you have the players who were injury or recovery hampered last season:
Mclean, Bower, Murphy, White, Waite (back to his early 2009 form would be sensational)

If we have a solid CHB (not great, just solid) and 10% improvement from these guys, then top 6 should be a distinct possibility, any more and we might even push for top 4 depending on how other teams fare.

If we are going to rely on one player as "our key" we're in difficulty. No question Kruz was missed last year and is important to us. We need further development from our 20 - 50 gamers, find a key position backman and for Murph, Gibbs, Eddie and Juddy to produce again.

Whilst I love the Kruz, I don't think he will be the one that holds the key. I think that falls to several others.
Warnock and Hampson.

Warnock hasn't been a man of steel like Stynes with injuries, so his form ahd Hampson's will be a key to our 2011. After Jacob walked, these two have to stay on the park with Kreuzer unlikely to be back to his best until round 13.
Warnock has had a few injuries, so we need him yo stay on the park for the first in his career. Waite's ACL injury didn't occur as late in the season as Kreuzer, so he had a bit of a headstart on Kreuzer. I wouldn't be surprised to see O'hAilpin play a fair few games in the first half of the year.

Warnock and Hampson.

Warnock hasn't been a man of steel like Stynes with injuries, so his form ahd Hampson's will be a key to our 2011. After Jacob walked, these two have to stay on the park with Kreuzer unlikely to be back to his best until round 13.
Warnock has had a few injuries, so we need him yo stay on the park for the first in his career. Waite's ACL injury didn't occur as late in the season as Kreuzer, so he had a bit of a headstart on Kreuzer. I wouldn't be surprised to see O'hAilpin play a fair few games in the first half of the year.

I see Warnock as very important ... there were a few times towards the end of the (last) year where he was rested forward and took some lovely grabs and for a big fella he seems to have a very accurate kick on him as well.

I think if both him and humprey can do this resting forward it will go a big way to seeing some close games that we lost this year go our way ... could be a significant difference.

Gibbs into the centre and another stellar year from Judd, Murphy, Garlett and Betts will also be important ... the backline will have to gel better than last year and my grandmother will have to grow balls to call her grandfather.

In the end if everything goes right we will definitely be a premiership threat, I think we all see that. What is nice is that if a few things go wrong we are developing the depth that covers for it.

Barring a horror run of injuries I would be putting my money on Ratts delivering on his promises and the boards expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't hold the key, should be an important cog in the second half of next season (confidence pending). I'd be very surprised if he plays rnd 1, regardless of what he says.

High expectations for mine are on:

Hammer (at least until Kruze is back) and 206

Austin

Hendo and Waite

Gibbs in the midfield

Murph to influence more games more often

Mclean staying on the park (or at least until Curnow is ready to go)

Looking forward to Duigan playing and seeing what he can do

KEYS Next year to make top SIX and have impact in Finals.

1. Injuries to key players, not enough depth to cover key players going down, but getting better in the depth department.

2. Improvement in game plan and structures meaning everybody has to be on the same page. Learning the different aspects of varying game plans and being able to implement them during times when it is required. That also means Ratts learning and being able to adapt to these differing game plans also!

3. X factor players who can do the unpredictable and win you games when things are close. ie Waite, JUdd, Yarran can be,kruze can be because he is unique.

4. Leadership to improve we know whatt Judd offers. but what about Murphy, Gibbs, Jamison,Mclean. This means on and off the field. Look and Neil Maxwell from Collinwood single minded, talks well and seems to have a passion to play footy and lead men into battle.

5. I disagree on the backline thing, i think with what we got in the draft the POTENTIAL is there. But working as unit ALL over the park is the key that midfielders doing their job by tracking back . And improving our frontal pressure for longer periods in games, will improve our consistency during games.

Overall i think if we can improve in these areas we have a good chance of improving as team. But then again there are 15 other teams trying to do the same thing!

I agree with what a couple of people have said in that if we are expecting Kreuzer, or any other individual, to be our key, then we will be disappointed. We need continued growth and development of our entire list, and we need to stay relatively injury-free. If those things happen then we can realistically be looking at a top 4 spot and home final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kruz holds the key to our season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back