Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, yes you said he "decided" to leave. Apologies on that, of course he decided to leave because he refused to adhere to our training standards. Makes perfect sense, after all Hawthorn do not have any training stardards to adhere by. You don't see an issue with that logic? This is why I don't believe he decided to leave but was told to leave. Much easier to make it public that it was Ginni's decision and not the clubs. Now, apparently you have intel from Craig McRae directly so what would I know then? lol.
Chronological order of events:
  1. Presented back at the club for the 2023 season and wasn’t in shape.
  2. Suspended for first two matches by the AFL for illicit drug use following the club’s pre-season training camp.
  3. Went to the races the day before the Grand Final which upset the players and coaches.
  4. Went on social media after the GF win where he had only 4 disposals and no impact and was being anything but humble and acting like a fool. He was told this isn’t how we want to be seen at Collingwood.
All of this was pointed out to him in his exit meeting by Fly. He was simply told to be better and to ensure he has a big preseason and set himself up for a better year. As far as Collingwood was concerned, he was a contracted player.
During trade week, Hawthorn came to Collingwood looking to trade for him after his manager had clearly had talks with Hawthorn where they negotiated more money and a longer contract.
Rather than cop it on the chin and knuckle down, he chose to move to Hawthorn where ironically, he appears to have done just that.
The coach and the club saw no reason to hold a player that didn’t want to be here to his contract for 2024 after a troubled year.
It was as simple as that.
McRae spoke at a function after the Freo game and explained this to a room full of guests. I have no reason to accuse him of lying since it makes perfect sense when you consider the facts.

Chronological order of events:
  1. Presented back at the club for the 2023 season and wasn’t in shape.
  2. Suspended for first two matches by the AFL for illicit drug use following the club’s pre-season training camp.
  3. Went to the races the day before the Grand Final which upset the players and coaches.
  4. Went on social media after the GF win where he had only 4 disposals and no impact and was being anything but humble and acting like a fool. He was told this isn’t how we want to be seen at Collingwood.
All of this was pointed out to him in his exit meeting by Fly. He was simply told to be better and to ensure he has a big preseason and set himself up for a better year. As far as Collingwood was concerned, he was a contracted player.
During trade week, Hawthorn came to Collingwood looking to trade for him after his manager had clearly had talks with Hawthorn where they negotiated more money and a longer contract.
Rather than cop it on the chin and knuckle down, he chose to move to Hawthorn where ironically, he appears to have done just that.
The coach and the club saw no reason to hold a player that didn’t want to be here to his contract for 2024 after a troubled year.
It was as simple as that.
McRae spoke at a function after the Freo game and explained this to a room full of guests. I have no reason to accuse him of lying since it makes perfect sense when you consider the facts.

I am aware of all the things you mentioned here as all of it is public knowledge.

Now, players current and in the past (not necessarily under McRae) like JDG, Swanny, Dids etc have also had issues on and off the field around training, illicit drugs, discipline etc but were given countless opporunities to rehabilitate, we put up with thier behaviours for a long time.

The club appears to have givin Ginni a set of ultimatums that he didn't fulfill and so decided to inform him that he should leave and Ginni accepted this. None of this implies the decision to leave was 100% all Ginni's idea. With some of these past players we have given them another year repeatedly to rehabilitate and eventually they come good. Ginni leaves Collingwood, goes to Hawthorn and instantly is miraculously has rehabilitated himself (which you have stated above), I didn't get that part wrong.

The statement:
If Ginni was able to rehab himself at Hawthorn instantly then he should have been supported at Collingwood for one more year like many other Collingwood players have in the past. We gave up on him too quickly and the club did have a big say in his decision to leave.

I am aware of all the things you mentioned here as all of it is public knowledge.

Now, players current and in the past (not necessarily under McRae) like JDG, Swanny, Dids etc have also had issues on and off the field around training, illicit drugs, discipline etc but were given countless opporunities to rehabilitate, we put up with thier behaviours for a long time.

The club appears to have givin Ginni a set of ultimatums that he didn't fulfill and so decided to inform him that he should leave and Ginni accepted this. None of this implies the decision to leave was 100% all Ginni's idea. With some of these past players we have given them another year repeatedly to rehabilitate and eventually they come good. Ginni leaves Collingwood, goes to Hawthorn and instantly is miraculously has rehabilitated himself (which you have stated above), I didn't get that part wrong.

The statement:
If Ginni was able to rehab himself at Hawthorn instantly then he should have been supported at Collingwood for one more year like many other Collingwood players have in the past. We gave up on him too quickly and the club did have a big say in his decision to leave.
You are entitled to your assumptions but I’m just telling you what Fly said.
He went to great lengths to say there’s no conspiracy here. Jack was told in no uncertain terms that he needed to improve his standards and prepare himself better for next season.
After that, Hawks came knocking and it was evident to the club that Ginny’s manager had approached Hawthorn.
If I am permitted to make my own assumptions like you have it would be that Ginnivan took offence at being read the riot act and rather than man up, cop the criticism and strive to be better, he sooked it up, went crying to his manager who then spoke to Hawthorn and the rest is history.
In my view, all Collingwood are guilty of is not holding a contracted player to his contract and/or driving a hard bargain at the trade table. Don’t forget, as you say, all this is public knowledge so Hawks were always going to resist giving much for him at the trade table.

You are entitled to your assumptions but I’m just telling you what Fly said.
He went to great lengths to say there’s no conspiracy here. Jack was told in no uncertain terms that he needed to improve his standards and prepare himself better for next season.
After that, Hawks came knocking and it was evident to the club that Ginny’s manager had approached Hawthorn.
If I am permitted to make my own assumptions like you have it would be that Ginnivan took offence at being read the riot act and rather than man up, cop the criticism and strive to be better, he sooked it up, went crying to his manager who then spoke to Hawthorn and the rest is history.
In my view, all Collingwood are guilty of is not holding a contracted player to his contract and/or driving a hard bargain at the trade table. Don’t forget, as you say, all this is public knowledge so Hawks were always going to resist giving much for him at the trade table.

All good mate, we are both making some assumptions about what might have happened behind closed doors, fair enough.

Whatever and however it all went down it is clear Collingwood could have kept him if we wanted to give him another chance and Ginni could have manned up and ticked a box or two and stayed.

I think the result of him leaving was extreme and "my assumption" is that there is more to the story than is made public. There are some holes here that need to be filled I think. When young, talented and immature players leave our club early it typically means there is more to see here than what we are being told. It doesn't happen often at all really.

Where is anyone blaming Shultz for our whole season? People are venting a fair bit and not doing constructive criticism true. But your literally doing the polar opposite and unjustly giving him credit where it isn't due evening it out.
He's a mini Mihocek in that he uses his body as a battering ram with no concern for his physical well being. He has looked like a player carrying the worries of the world on his shoulders as he is clearly aware of the endless moaning about him being recruited by the club.

I think he will be a better player after another pre season and hopefully he gets a little more love from the fans.

He's a mini Mihocek in that he uses his body as a battering ram with no concern for his physical well being. He has looked like a player carrying the worries of the world on his shoulders as he is clearly aware of the endless moaning about him being recruited by the club.

I think he will be a better player after another pre season and hopefully he gets a little more love from the fans.
Hopefully mate there's no point throwing him to the wolves. As someone else mentioned tho there are similarities to him and Blair in his later years and that comparison for me fits so perfectly it's actually pretty concerning.

All good mate, we are both making some assumptions about what might have happened behind closed doors, fair enough.

Whatever and however it all went down it is clear Collingwood could have kept him if we wanted to give him another chance and Ginni could have manned up and ticked a box or two and stayed.

I think the result of him leaving was extreme and "my assumption" is that there is more to the story than is made public. There are some holes here that need to be filled I think. When young, talented and immature players leave our club early it typically means there is more to see here than what we are being told. It doesn't happen often at all really.
Fair points.
I think the club thought he’d been a complete dick for a few months and thought you know what, if he doesn’t want to work on himself and now he is sniffing around a new club then stuff him.
I still think he has a few scandals in front of him but let’s see. I’m just not going to wish him luck 🤣

Hopefully mate there's no point throwing him to the wolves. As someone else mentioned tho there are similarities to him and Blair in his later years and that comparison for me fits so perfectly it's actually pretty concerning.
You wait and see. The lad can play.

It will help him when the team is on song consistently too. We just a good run with injuries and perform consistently again.
Last year we knew what we’d get every week.

That’s a bit personal Judas.
Haha, well do not be as critical.
We need to back our great side.
Schultz has stats on his side in 2024.
Fly is the reigning premiership coach.
Wright helped us get there.
I personally am not feeling down on anybody. Shitty year all around.
Shit happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, well do not be as critical.
We need to back our great side.
Schultz has stats on his side in 2024.
Fly is the reigning premiership coach.
Wright helped us get there.
I personally am not feeling down on anybody. Shitty year all around.
Shit happens
Darcy Moore’s video after the game praising the fans for our side by side unwavering support doesn’t apply to some on here.
It’s embarrassing.

Ginni's role with us when he was backed in saw him score 40+ goals as a 19 year old
It is hard to say if he (Ginni) would of had as good a season with us, instead of the media celebrating his celebrations etc as they have done with Hawthorn, if he was with us the media would have been doing the opposite so maybe Hawthorn being a smaller club suits him. Also not sure of timeline but i am guessing the club when they went after Schultz anticipated having both McStay and Cox playing forward for the whole year with Schultz and Hill being the small forwards which has only really eventuated in last couple weeks. Schultz may have thrived playing in that setup all year so at moment it is an unknown

It is hard to say if he (Ginni) would of had as good a season with us, instead of the media celebrating his celebrations etc as they have done with Hawthorn, if he was with us the media would have been doing the opposite so maybe Hawthorn being a smaller club suits him. Also not sure of timeline but i am guessing the club when they went after Schultz anticipated having both McStay and Cox playing forward for the whole year with Schultz and Hill being the small forwards which has only really eventuated in last couple weeks. Schultz may have thrived playing in that setup all year so at moment it is an unknown
It's weird that we have to make excuses for Schultz's performance as a 27 year old that we traded in at his prime for the purposes of having immediate impact where he supposedly needs perfect conditions for him to thrive. It's not like 19 year old Ginnivan kicked his 40 goals with McStay in the side

It's weird that we have to make excuses for Schultz's performance as a 27 year old that we traded in at his prime for the purposes of having immediate impact where he supposedly needs perfect conditions for him to thrive. It's not like 19 year old Ginnivan kicked his 40 goals with McStay in the side

Yeah, Schultz is the new Orchid.

Pendlebury was pretty straightforward when asked about the Ginny situation last week. He said in 2023 Ginny was a fringe player who was offered a long term contract (4 years) on very good coin, so he took it.

We're also ignoring that we had another "required" pressure small forward/mid in 2023 who was talking to Sydney throughout the season about a move at the end of the year.

Could Schultz play midfield? Good tackler, reasonable hands, puts in a lot of effort. Midfield has some massive holes. Maybe give shoota and Mcreerey more midfield opportunities.
No, I seriously doubt it. He can’t even play his primary position as a small forward effectively. The midfield is well and truly beyond him.
There was a time when the club considered Elliot for the occasional rotation through the midfield, however that didn’t happen, despite him being an infinitely better small forward than Schultz.

No, I seriously doubt it. He can’t even play his primary position as a small forward effectively. The midfield is well and truly beyond him.
There was a time when the club considered Elliot for the occasional rotation through the midfield, however that didn’t happen, despite him being an infinitely better small forward than Schultz.
We get it. You don’t rate him. Move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back