Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, his positioning early in the season in regards to the forward defense was off - it took him a while to get that right. Go back and watch those early season games, particularly when opposition are moving the ball out of their defensive fifty and you'll see Schultz a little lost guarding space as opposition move the ball right through his area. It's not a huge impact in games and certainly not worth the thirty odd points the two Sydney teams beat the Pies by in those first two weeks but field position does play a big part in general defense.

It takes players a while to learn positioning. Freo were stuffed in the early part of the season while O'Meara was learning his wing/fwd role.

Schultz works really hard. He will be fine for next year.
Hopefully the team is more Collingwood like in its performance and consistency next year and I’m confident Shooter will perform much better as a consequence.
He was on a hiding to nothing this year.

Hopefully the team is more Collingwood like in its performance and consistency next year and I’m confident Shooter will perform much better as a consequence.
He was on a hiding to nothing this year.

I think the key will be releasing him to be involved in the transition play. Letting him lead for marks backward of centre as targets for the half backs. That's how he got his game going at Freo, losing his opponent in work up the ground and then getting back to goal. Collingwood have better forward marking options than Freo did in that time though.

Where do you want to start? This isn’t the thread for that. But it’s not Schultz’s fault.
It's all of their faults except for Naicos, Pendles, Maynard and Howe. Everyone else has underperformed. And when there's systematic underperformance across the board, you look at the coaches, the list management, the administration and the direction/strategy they set. Perhaps one of the issues was changing our game plan to trying to be a Buckley style forward pressure team vs backing in our free flowing transition game with creative ball users that opens up the ground.

Perhaps targeting Schultz and letting go of Ginnivan and Adams was the wrong move. It was justified as that he would be an improvement on both. And that he would have immediate impact over a first round draft pick. I think our performances would've definitely improved with Ginnivan/Adams on the list who were both still contracted and not having Schultz impact this year.

Trust me. Ginny and his manager drove his move to Hawthorn, not Collingwood. He wasn’t meeting club standards all season and even just before and after the Grand Final win. He was told to lift his game and go have a big offseason and smarten up for next season.
Rather than do that, he chose Hawthorn.
Really? Are you saying that the Hawthorn Football Club and Sam Mitchell have allowed Ginni to put in a slack pre-season, carry on like a turnip, not lift his game, be a slacker & not uphold training standards.You are saying that Hawthorn have allowed him to do all the things we wouldn't allow? You are talking about Hawthorn, one of the most demanding and ruthless football clubs of the past 50 years. I think your "sources" are more of the tomato type.

It's all of their faults except for Naicos, Pendles, Maynard and Howe. Everyone else has underperformed. And when there's systematic underperformance across the board, you look at the coaches, the list management, the administration and the direction/strategy they set. Perhaps one of the issues was changing our game plan to trying to be a Buckley style forward pressure team vs backing in our free flowing transition game with creative ball users that opens up the ground.

Perhaps targeting Schultz and letting go of Ginnivan and Adams was the wrong move. It was justified as that he would be an improvement on both. And that he would have immediate impact over a first round draft pick. I think our performances would've definitely improved with Ginnivan/Adams on the list who were both still contracted and not having Schultz impact this year.
Only one player this season has played at the level of last season. Exceeded it I’d say.
And that’s Darcy Cameron.

His effort and work rate in general couldn't be questioned but his kicking both field and goal could be sloppy at times.

In particular I'd love to know the breakdown between goals, behinds and failure to score when it came to snapping around his body as that skill set seemed a weakness in his game this year.

Our finishing position this season has made the trade more costly than anticipated and in reality if we had a crystal ball it probably wouldn't have been done if we knew then what we know now.

Alas no crystal ball but that also means we don't yet know what the future holds for Schultz and Collingwood and the trade could be viewed very differently in the coming seasons.

Really? Are you saying that the Hawthorn Football Club and Sam Mitchell have allowed Ginni to put in a slack pre-season, carry on like a turnip, not lift his game, be a slacker & not uphold training standards.You are saying that Hawthorn have allowed him to do all the things we wouldn't allow? You are talking about Hawthorn, one of the most demanding and ruthless football clubs of the past 50 years. I think your "sources" are more of the tomato type.
I was speaking about Collingwood. My only reference was moving to Hawthorn.
Why you stupidly made those comments I’ll never know.
And you just called Craig McRae a tomato you genius.

Yep - was against it as soon as the mention of F1 came about

Has ruined the 2023 off season and 2024 season for me

However, my fury is directed at those who signed off on this, not Schultz
(Actually, tbh, a lot of anger towards “it’s just a pick” / “virtually a second rounder”…but I digress)

Just poor, arrogant and flippant trading without regard for the future (whether that be drafting / trading whatever) - an inability to walk away when the cost got too high and an inability to see the 2024 landscape

This is part of the reason our depth is so thin

I hope Schultz becomes an integral part of our squad (we’re locked in for another 4 years any way)
But he was UFA at the end of 2024 and we still coughed up a

Trust me. Ginny and his manager drove his move to Hawthorn, not Collingwood. He wasn’t meeting club standards all season and even just before and after the Grand Final win. He was told to lift his game and go have a big offseason and smarten up for next season.
That's not true Ginny was a Collingwood player right up to when the club decided to move him on, happened late in trade week so stop telling porkies.

Schultz is an ok footballer, but I would have thought you could find plenty of small forwards who can apply pressure and do bugger all else. VFL has a few, not to mention other state leagues. Those players are free hits or rookie draft usually. Even if it was an AFL listed player, that's not who you give a top 10 pick for, what an absolute failure of a trade it has been...
That's just it, you can't! Who is it in this year's draft, Kako and that's about it, not a common type of player at all.

If Ginni wasn't meeting club standards all year it's very hard to comprehend how he got into the mix for finals above other players. Nobel i understand as he can be a real liability at times and teams would have targeted that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s rubbish and not how it happened. Choose to believe otherwise if you wish but you’re wrong.
Change your name to Pinocchio because that's a real piece of fiction you've concocted or regurgitated from someone where else. Stop lying, the deal got done late in trade week after the club decided to move him, it wasn't months in the pipeline, such bulltish.

If Ginni wasn't meeting club standards all year it's very hard to comprehend how he got into the mix for finals above other players. Nobel i understand as he can be a real liability at times and teams would have targeted that.
It took him most the year to get into the team and mainly as a sub.

Change your name to Pinocchio because that's a real piece of fiction you've concocted or regurgitated from someone where else. Stop lying, the deal got done late in trade week after the club decided to move him, it wasn't months in the pipeline, such bulltish.
I have no reason to doubt what Fly told me.
I can walk you through it if you have crayons.

Confidence is a hell out of a thing. Lose it and it's hard to get back. Bloke has been playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders from pretty early on. Fans talk about how it's a no brainer for players wanting to come to a massive club like ours, but it's not always, and I know some players are wary of this. There's no hiding at Collingwood, on the field on or social media.

Pressure and tackling has been first rate from him this year. But there's clear signs of a bloke that's struggling. Going to ground for no reason when the ball comes to him, second guessing his decisions, sometimes doesn't look like he wants to take a shot at goal. Body language is pretty telling.

But he's a much better player than this. He's going to cop it after tonight again, but I'm hopeful with the team crashing out and a fresh season with shifted expectations he can find some good form next year
100 percent all this, but unfortunately some people see the trade and carry on like it was Schultz who was requesting to be traded for a first round pick.

I was speaking about Collingwood. My only reference was moving to Hawthorn.
Why you stupidly made those comments I’ll never know.
And you just called Craig McRae a tomato you genius.
Craig McRae is your direct source is it? Wow, then how can anyone ever question you then? Perhaps we all now need to take your opinions as gospel, no need for anyone else to post. :rolleyes:

Did you even read my post. You said Ginni was told to leave by McRae (your words) because he refused to train to standards so Ginni decides to go to Hawthorn. Which means that Hawthorn, whom would do their due diligence would know about Ginni's lack of desire to train to standards but decided to take him and accept this attidude anyway. I'm calling that as bs.

There would have had to of been other reasons Ginni was told to go, nothing to do with training standards. I'm sure you were told only what was easy for you to hear.

Craig McRae is your direct source is it? Wow, then how can anyone ever question you then? Perhaps we all now need to take your opinions as gospel, no need for anyone else to post. :rolleyes:

Did you even read my post. You said Ginni was told to leave by McRae (your words) because he refused to train to standards so Ginni decides to go to Hawthorn. Which means that Hawthorn, whom would do their due diligence would know about Ginni's lack of desire to train to standards but decided to take him and accept this attidude anyway. I'm calling that as bs.

There would have had to of been other reasons Ginni was told to go, nothing to do with training standards. I'm sure you were told only what was easy for you to hear.
I never said Ginny was told to leave. What are you on about?

Absolutely disagree, if we retained ginni he would t be having the same impact for us as he is with hawthorn as the role he is playing at the hawks frees him up for possessions.

He stated himself that playing forward at the pies was hard because you can’t get a lot of touches.

In terms of presssure and goal output Schultz has had a better season imo.

I never said Ginny was told to leave. What are you on about?
Sorry, yes you said he "decided" to leave. Apologies on that, of course he decided to leave because he refused to adhere to our training standards. Makes perfect sense, after all Hawthorn do not have any training stardards to adhere by. You don't see an issue with that logic? This is why I don't believe he decided to leave but was told to leave. Much easier to make it public that it was Ginni's decision and not the clubs. Now, apparently you have intel from Craig McRae directly so what would I know then? lol.

Absolutely disagree, if we retained ginni he would t be having the same impact for us as he is with hawthorn as the role he is playing at the hawks frees him up for possessions.

He stated himself that playing forward at the pies was hard because you can’t get a lot of touches.

In terms of presssure and goal output Schultz has had a better season imo.
Ginni's role with us when he was backed in saw him score 40+ goals as a 19 year old

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back