Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Ginnivan had to go. Too undisciplined off-field. Maybe if we were Gold Coast or some team nobody cares about, he could get away with his indiscretions. But Collingwood is the club the media and public love to crucify as soon as anyone at the club has a minor indiscretion. Think back to all the scandals and crap that get played out for months and even years in the media. These things happen at other clubs, it gets a mention and never heard of again.

I completely understand why they got rid of Ginnivan. And we could not keep Adams because he wanted midfield time and we don't need him there. Out of respect, let him go. He's served the club well, why would we hold onto him?
Ahh yes lucky Ginnivan went to an undisciplined unsuccessful club like Hawthorn so he could get away with his indiscretions this year.

Chris Mayne was not good for us, I don't know why people want to rewrite history on this.

He started terribly, then he became an okay role player at best. He looked good on the stats sheet but his ball use was always incredibly defensive and we played a lot better once he was replaced.

He was one of our best players in the Grand Final. 14 tackles.

Spot on. Schultz can come good and get to maybe Elliot's level which I certainly hope he does but it will always be a bad trade and he was the wrong target for us last year.

If we had baulked at his cost last year, we might've instead held onto Adams and Ginnivan to their contracts for this year instead of trading them for peanuts. With Adams filling the Mitchell role, we might've had a better chance at finals. Ginnivan certainly had the potential to have had at least 2 matchwinning games that Shultz provided this year (North and Brisbane) or at least he would've brought excitement and energy from the crowd that Schultz just doesn't generate. No one is starting a Collingwood chant because Schultz is running up and down the ground chasing and shepharding.

Even if it didn't change our ladder position and we still trade out Adams and Ginnivan this year, at least we would have our pick 7-10 for this year (and also have a higher second round pick instead of whatever Hawthorn's ends up being). We can then choose to either take that to a really strong draft this year or actually have the trade capital to go after a Smith or even Petracca, targets that would fill way more of a need for us.

To top it all off, Shultz might also have still been available this year as a UFA for free.

And this isn't hindsight. I've been against the trades last year ever since the they were announced (as have many other posters that get continually shut down by the collingwood propaganda poster bots)

you're missing the part where Adams decided to leave for more midfield time and a longer deal. nothing to do with the club. it was never a Schulz v Adams/Ginnivan.

Ahh yes lucky Ginnivan went to an undisciplined unsuccessful club like Hawthorn so he could get away with his indiscretions this year.

Hawthorn, although a big club.. don't get the same focus we do when it comes to individual players.

Buddy was hard into partying, and things happened with him. But the media never said boo. DeGoey is front page news for touching a woman that he knew in a nightclub in Bali. That's the difference between Hawthorn and Collingwood.

you're missing the part where Adams decided to leave for more midfield time and a longer deal. nothing to do with the club. it was never a Schulz v Adams/Ginnivan.
He was contracted. He couldn't just get up and leave. And for everyone talking up our club culture and McCrae as coach, you don't think if we really wanted to we could've talked our Vice Captain into staying?

And even if we did trade out Adams, we still shouldn't have traded for Schultz last year at that cost. Small forward was the one position we had ample depth in.

Hawthorn, although a big club.. don't get the same focus we do when it comes to individual players.

Buddy was hard into partying, and things happened with him. But the media never said boo. DeGoey is front page news for touching a woman that he knew in a nightclub in Bali. That's the difference between Hawthorn and Collingwood.

There are other reasons why the media was scared to go after Buddy.

He was contracted. He couldn't just get up and leave. And for everyone talking up our club culture and McCrae as coach, you don't think if we really wanted to we could've talked our Vice Captain into staying?

And even if we did trade out Adams, we still shouldn't have traded for Schultz last year at that cost. Small forward was the one position we had ample depth in.

Adams cracked the sads and went contract hunting and by doing so he signed his papers.

ironic he may now be the one to get dropped in Sydney.

Spot on. Schultz can come good and get to maybe Elliot's level which I certainly hope he does but it will always be a bad trade and he was the wrong target for us last year.

If we had baulked at his cost last year, we might've instead held onto Adams and Ginnivan to their contracts for this year instead of trading them for peanuts. With Adams filling the Mitchell role, we might've had a better chance at finals. Ginnivan certainly had the potential to have had at least 2 matchwinning games that Shultz provided this year (North and Brisbane) or at least he would've brought excitement and energy from the crowd that Schultz just doesn't generate. No one is starting a Collingwood chant because Schultz is running up and down the ground chasing and shepharding.

Even if it didn't change our ladder position and we still trade out Adams and Ginnivan this year, at least we would have our pick 7-10 for this year (and also have a higher second round pick instead of whatever Hawthorn's ends up being). We can then choose to either take that to a really strong draft this year or actually have the trade capital to go after a Smith or even Petracca, targets that would fill way more of a need for us.

To top it all off, Shultz might also have still been available this year as a UFA for free.

And this isn't hindsight. I've been against the trades last year ever since the they were announced (as have many other posters that get continually shut down by the collingwood propaganda poster bots)
Adams is past 30 and injury prone. He took a long deal we refused to offer. Knowing your posting history, if we offered Adam’s 3 years you’d be on here with the other doomers bemoaning offering him 3 years…

He will likely be playing vfl for syd for the next 2 season…

Ginni was gone because the club has standards. That simple. Nothing to do with his football ability. Players that don’t meet those get shipped out. 100% back the decision.

Adams is past 30 and injury prone. He took a long deal we refused to offer. Knowing your posting history, if we offered Adam’s 3 years you’d be on here with the other doomers bemoaning offering him 3 years…

He will likely be playing vfl for syd for the next 2 season…

Ginni was gone because the club has standards. That simple. Nothing to do with his football ability. Players that don’t meet those get shipped out. 100% back the decision.

What does Sydney offering Adams 3 years when he still has 1 year left with us got anything to do with us needing to offer him 3 years? If anything it should have put us in a stronger trade bargaining position if Sydney were willing to offer him a big contract to try pry out a contracted Vice Captain from us. I don't care that Adams was traded. I care that we got SFA for him whilst

Same with Ginnivan. Sure he can be shipped out if he didn't meed club standards. There's also other posters that claim he was never pushed out and he wanted out himself. Either way we certaintly didn't need to swap 2nd rounders and effectively pay Hawthorn to ship out one of our talented young players even if flawed.

What does Sydney offering Adams 3 years when he still has 1 year left with us got anything to do with us needing to offer him 3 years? If anything it should have put us in a stronger trade bargaining position if Sydney were willing to offer him a big contract to try pry out a contracted Vice Captain from us. I don't care that Adams was traded. I care that we got SFA for him whilst

Same with Ginnivan. Sure he can be shipped out if he didn't meed club standards. There's also other posters that claim he was never pushed out and he wanted out himself. Either way we certaintly didn't need to swap 2nd rounders and effectively pay Hawthorn to ship out one of our talented young players even if flawed.
Adam’s took money. Ginni was shipped out. It’s literally that simple. Not gonna derail the thread anymore. We took TJ from the hawks with their pick btw.

Really pleased for Schultz that he had a good game, and can take confidence from that into the pre-season. Even better, if he follows up with a similarly good game against the Dees.

Seems to be a bit vulnerable to public and social media criticism, and who can blame him?

Call me a softie, but its been bothering me all year that he didnt' seem happy at the club, and down because of the criticism. I want all our players and staff to love being at Collingwood. Its the Fly way.:heart:

It's great that he had a very impactful last 4 minutes and we won the game as a result. But let's not kid ourselves into now thinking he's had a good year, or even had a good game. Fact is, prior to the last 4 minutes, he missed two shots that you want your small forwards to nail more often than not, and dropped a chest mark in the goalsquare late with only mild contested pressure.

His misses against Sydney and Fremantle (which again you want your small forward to kick 9 times out of 10) both would have iced those games that we ended up losing, and as a result of losing them we will now almost certainly miss the finals.

I do hope he find more polish from here on, as if he does he would be a key part of our forwardline, but if he doesn't then I don't think he has a place.
I don't bag him however can't lie lucky he kicked goal as Howe was on his own 15m out.

He also dropped a chest mark minutes earlier in goal square

However he gets himself in the right positions and gets these opportunities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really pleased for Schultz that he had a good game, and can take confidence from that into the pre-season. Even better, if he follows up with a similarly good game against the Dees.

Seems to be a bit vulnerable to public and social media criticism, and who can blame him?

Call me a softie, but its been bothering me all year that he didnt' seem happy at the club, and down because of the criticism. I want all our players and staff to love being at Collingwood. Its the Fly way.:heart:
He was the most depressed looking player I've seen in a Collingwood jumper for most of the year. But maybe that's just how he looks all the time. I wanted to give him a hug every week when they were doing their warm up. :)

He was the most depressed looking player I've seen in a Collingwood jumper for most of the year. But maybe that's just how he looks all the time. I wanted to give him a hug every week when they were doing their warm up. :)
Perhaps the shackles have been released on the poor bloke. He gave 100% at every contest imo.

I don't bag him however can't lie lucky he kicked goal as Howe was on his own 15m out.

He also dropped a chest mark minutes earlier in goal square

However he gets himself in the right positions and gets these opportunities
He coulda, shoulda kicked at least 30 goals this year. As you say, he muffed some golden opportunities which he nabbed when playing for Freo. It was an almost year. As you say, he puts himself in the right positions. Hopefully it all clicks for him next year.

We got him in October last year as part of a much-maligned trade on paper but it turns out to be working wonders. We have another match-winner like Elliott and Schultz showed his potential today.

Though means we can't really Improve the list for 2025 with the Schultz Trade

Some reasons I think the criticism he has received this year is a bit over the top:

1. He would have as many (or more) goals as our current leading goalkicker if he hadn’t missed three games
2. He has more goals this season than Ginnivan
3. His goal kicking accuracy has also been better than Ginnivan
4. Bar Nick Daicos and Darcy Cameron, has any other 2023 premiership player not been worse this year than last year? Hard to blame the new guy for this year’s woes.

If we paid overs (which yes, we probably did), that’s the club’s fault. Not his.

Shoota nominated for GOTY for Round 23, along with Nick.....https://www.afl.com.au/goal-of-the-year

Both are brilliant goals - hard choice for a Pies supporter. ;)

Once we get our full strength fwd line up and running, we will see this guys full talent. If they weren't injured, they were out of form

Thinking a fwd 7 of Mcstay, Checkers, Shooter, Beau, Hill, Elliot/Hoskin-elliot. With cox as the 2nd ruck floating through. Plenty of marking, plenty of pressure and class. Fitness gurus must get these guys back in working order next year, barring hideous bad luck like the mcstay ACL

Adam’s took money. Ginni was shipped out. It’s literally that simple. Not gonna derail the thread anymore. We took TJ from the hawks with their pick btw.
Both were contracted and in our best 23. It's literally that simple. We should have had the upper hand in any trade negotiations if we were any good at negotiations. We've just become accustomed to accepting unders and paying overs for any best 23 players for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back