Prediction Laird to be traded

Remove this Banner Ad

No one will want him but he shouldn't be a guaranteed selection next year. I don't think he should be played in front of most of the alternate options in the midfield or backline anymore.

Laird should 100% be traded (but won't), but who would we bring as ruck to replace R.O.B?
Target someone like Peter Ladhams. Bring in Harry Boyd on the rookie list. Strachan has one more year. Thilthorpe can ruck. Just change it up. I'm done watching O'Brien be our lead ruck for the last 7 years, as good a bloke as he must be.

Laird should 100% be traded (but won't), but who would we bring as ruck to replace R.O.B?
season 5 GIF

Put yourself in the shoes of another club. Who is actually taking on Laird and his multi-year $800k contract?
st kilda - prime candidate for them

underperforming club gets underperforming "elite" player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird and O'Brien should be on the trade table. Both could still hold value. If you could turn Laird, O'Brien and pick 25 into Peatling, Neale-Bullen and a pick in the teens, as well as a couple of list spots for prospective players, that would rejuvenate the list.
Ok, so who will be our number 1 ruckman and back up ruck? can't afford to get rid of ROB without a decent/half decent ruck to take his spot

It is improbable this year as Rory is currently a best 22 player, we have no reason to force him out (after all, we're in job-saving mode in 2025) and Rory still puts up a good level of production. If he's out of the best 22 by the end of next year, he may seek a trade, but it's hard to see where a buyer is unless Adelaide bounces into the top 6.

We'll likely move Rory back to the back pocket and use him as another interceptor/two-way defender in 2025 - seeing we mucked around with that in the back end of 2024.

Target someone like Peter Ladhams. Bring in Harry Boyd on the rookie list. Strachan has one more year. Thilthorpe can ruck. Just change it up. I'm done watching O'Brien be our lead ruck for the last 7 years, as good a bloke as he must be.

I agree. But Strachan should be the one to go. Essentially his selection lost us the game v Tigers at home. Can’t run for more than a half!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It is improbable this year as Rory is currently a best 22 player, we have no reason to force him out (after all, we're in job-saving mode in 2025) and Rory still puts up a good level of production. If he's out of the best 22 by the end of next year, he may seek a trade, but it's hard to see where a buyer is unless Adelaide bounces into the top 6.

We'll likely move Rory back to the back pocket and use him as another interceptor/two-way defender in 2025 - seeing we mucked around with that in the back end of 2024.

I don't agree

I think if someone had a pick in the 20s on the table and he was wanting to leave I would do the deal in a heartbeat.

We lose nothing by letting him go and it has the upside of forcing the club to develop junior talent through the midfield without the temptation being there to go back to the same failed formula.

Last edited:
I can't see how he fits into the restructured 2025 lineup. Because I have a bit of spare time, and clearly no life, I have a round one fully fit team on the go, which I gleefully altered today. I don't even have Laird in the emergencies. I think he faces a year in decline and frustration as he becomes yesterday's man. If he was smart he would be giving North a call, or Richmond or West Coast or St Kilda.

He won’t tho coz he has a contract for another two years. He is on good money and has support of the coach.

I don't agree

I think if someone had a pick in the low to mid 20s on the table and he was wanting to leave I would do the deal in a heartbeat.

We lose nothing by letting him go and it has the upside of forcing the club to develop junior talent through the midfield without the temptation being there to go back to the same failed formula.

You might, however Adelaide in our current state wouldn't even entertain it. The club needs to make finals next year and Laird is an upgrade on Bond and Nankervis in our defensive group. After all, a lot of heads roll if they don't.

The bold part isn't an upside. The thing is, no club genuinely develops junior talent through the midfield without there being a point of difference the kid is already providing. Look at everyone who's become regulars within their first two years in the midfield, they start by either putting up B+-A grade numbers (min 22-23 disp 3.5-4 clearances), they're winning 4.5-5 clearances a game and providing ok production levels (17-20 disposals) or they're putting up monster defensive numbers (however this one may not save a kid if the other two aren't there). No one tolerates mediocre performances from kids for long in the inside midfield for the sake of "development", even if they see them as long-term midfield options (nor is it a death knell for a kid who can't put up those numbers in the first two years either). We've been pretty willing to give midfield minutes early as well, seeing Berry and Schoenberg picked up considerable minutes in 2022, however, both fell into one of those two categories I listed earlier. When it comes to the midfield, merit is the only thing that matters.

If you want to develop a midfielder, give them a best 22 spot at half forward, wing, or half back and wait for them to develop their game and body, alongside the occasional CBA if you feel generous.

You could feasibly expect that Laird days in the midfield are done though, without a crisis hitting our inside midfield group. Between Soligo becoming a mainstay (which he all but was in 2023), Rankine and Peatling, that part of Laird's career is likely over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Laird to be traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back