News LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

The 36-year-old informed his teammates on Monday that his decorated career is over.

The news comes after he injured his calf in Saturday night's win over Essendon.

Franklin confirmed the news with an Instagram post alongside a photo of Alastair Clarkson and John Longmire, his two AFL coaches.

"What a journey. Thanks to everyone who has been on this crazy ride with me," he wrote.

Courtesy: ALF.com.au

I can handle them fine.

But it is well known around these parts that you are a troll. And a rubbish one at that.

Jog on you peanut.
Nice little rant to prove my point again. Very sensitive. I will say it again… that goal is overrated. Buddy just found himself in a good position over the back against a slow opponent. He did well to finish it off under fatigue and a tough angle, but that’s about all.

Nice little rant to prove my point again. Very sensitive. I will say it again… that goal is overrated. Buddy just found himself in a good position over the back against a slow opponent. He did well to finish it off under fatigue and a tough angle, but that’s about all.

Ok troll.

It might look overrated to you because Buddy made it look easy but the kick had a large margin of error and at the time, I thought he should have run another 10 metres to give himself a better angle but he didn't need it.

It might look overrated to you because Buddy made it look easy but the kick had a large margin of error and at the time, I thought he should have run another 10 meters to give himself a better angle but he didn't need it.
it was a good goal.. but one of the best goals of all time?? Cmon.. I can think of many players in that exact position who could have run on to kick a goal

I know others will disagree but if you line up every player drafted in the 21st century as an 18 year old, knowing the players they are going to become, I think Buddy would go pick 1 for the majority of people.

A truly fantastic player, and one who won more games off his own boot than I could ever begin to count. In his prime he was basically unstoppable and considering the era he played in he kicked a truly huge amount of goals. The other key forwards of this era are not even close in terms of their overall output.
Hard to argue with that.

I know a lot gets made of his Hooker Running Goals.

But this one is one of my faves (Part of a Lazy 8 in a Qualifying final), and on Bwian Lake too...

It's crazy how much footy's changed in a few years let alone 15.

You will never see so much space inside 50 like that again. How many times are big key forwards allowed to play 1 on 1.

Going out an absolute champion with a magnificent career.

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

In times like these it pays to remind the newer members of Bigfooty that this site has been a brilliant judge of young talent.

1.066 goals in an era of ultra defensive gameplans.
I have always remembered Kevin Sheahan being interviewed in the lead up to the 2004 draft and he said there is a tall skinny athletic kid for WA that looks like he could be anything. Not all were listening as Buddy went pick 5 behind Deledio, Roughhead, Griffen and Tambling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always remembered Kevin Sheahan being interviewed in the lead up to the 2004 draft and he said there is a tall skinny athletic kid for WA that looks like he could be anything. Not all were listening as Buddy went pick 5 behind Deledio, Roughhead, Griffen and Tambling.

Always easy in hindsight, I remember reading somewhere that every single AFL club would of chosen Tambling if they had first pick. Always a bit of a lottery the draft.

Stuff like that makes you wonder why so many teams are determined to get pick 1. Pick 1 very very rarely ends up being the best player in their draft year.

Also quite amazing how long Buddy has been going as the 4 players you just listed have been gone from the game quite a while now.

A great career and one which will be celebrated for generations

The good thing is, unlike the players of the 80's we actually have every goal Buddy has ever kicked at an AFL level on camera. Weird statistic but Buddy is likely the player who has the most goals kicked in AFL/VFL history that were recorded.

Here is Buddy and other KPF's drafted in the 21st century

1. Lance Franklin - 1066 goals
2. Jack Riewoldt - 782 goals
3. Tom Hawkins - 779 goals
4. Josh Kennedy - 723 goals
5. Nick Riewoldt - 718 goals
6. Jarryd Roughhead - 578 goals
7. Jeremy Cameron - 575 goals

He has over 250 goals more than his next closest contemporary.
36% more than his nearest competitor in an extra 10 games :oops:

I know others will disagree but if you line up every player drafted in the 21st century as an 18 year old, knowing the players they are going to become, I think Buddy would go pick 1 for the majority of people.

A truly fantastic player, and one who won more games off his own boot than I could ever begin to count. In his prime he was basically unstoppable and considering the era he played in he kicked a truly huge amount of goals. The other key forwards of this era are not even close in terms of their overall output.
I think that is a fair comment.

There are multiple mids you would be more than happy with - GAJ, Judd, Martin, maybe others. There are multiple defenders.

There is not one single forward even close to Buddy in his career.

Absolute freak. If he was better overhead he would have been the GOAT by so far it is ridiculous.

In times like these it pays to remind the newer members of Bigfooty that this site has been a brilliant judge of young talent.

Jeez remember back then when everyone was a ‘Dud’, a ‘Crab’, a ‘Receiver’.

Kids today wouldn’t even understand it. 🤪

This was arguably his best game. Almost every one of his 8 goals was incredible. He was on a level that very few others have ever played, on that night.
My favourite was the elimination final against Adelaide in 2007. That was Buddy's 55th game and he kicked 7 goals including the match winner o_O

My favourite was the elimination final against Adelaide in 2007. That was Buddy's 55th game and he kicked 7 goals including the match winner o_O

"lucky number 7"

I think that is a fair comment.

There are multiple mids you would be more than happy with - GAJ, Judd, Martin, maybe others. There are multiple defenders.

There is not one single forward even close to Buddy in his career.

Absolute freak. If he was better overhead he would have been the GOAT by so far it is ridiculous.
I would also add that, if you already had a team full of superstar forwards, you could've thrown him on the ball and he still would have dominated IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

News LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back