Layering of core values within the club

Remove this Banner Ad

A few years back the language used in the club was about the brotherhood. It would pop out in interviews and places where the boys would always talk about the brotherhood and refer to each other as brothers

Now there's a new phrase going around - 'anchoring back' It's popped up in the poddy and a few other places.

It appears to me that it's being used as a way to ground core values - 'anchor back' to key messages and what's important to focus on. Have you heard it being used in other contexts?

A few years back the language used in the club was about the brotherhood. It would pop out in interviews and places where the boys would always talk about the brotherhood and refer to each other as brothers

Now there's a new phrase going around - 'anchoring back' It's popped up in the poddy and a few other places.

It appears to me that it's being used as a way to ground core values - 'anchor back' to key messages and what's important to focus on. Have you heard it being used in other contexts?
They still have a strong emphasis on brotherhood, I think. I heard Corbett using anchoring in the context of not getting carried away by the highs and lows of the season by going back to their values and what is important.

I think some of the anchoring terminology probably started around 2021 with the strategic plan - with anchors used instead of values.

Good pick up though, seems to be getting added in more ways with anchoring back etc.

So the 'anchor' is a term that represents our core values.. interesting!

The reframe of the word anchor within the club is fascinating because years ago we would all have associated the anchor with being dragged down/held back (a negative trait) rather than our foundational beliefs (something that we rely on and celebrate). To the point we removed the anchor from our chests and went with chevrons :p Today if we had the anchor on our chest, perhaps it would be a reminder in game and visible to each player of what we play for ...

The process of 'anchoring' I find interesting because of the link to NLP - as a process for associating something with a trigger, and with psychology generally as a cognitive bias - distorting our view of the world by our initial frame of reference. Both of which seem somehow less palatable than being a straight synonym for values :p

Last edited:

The reframe of the word anchor within the club is fascinating because years ago we would all have associated the anchor with being dragged down/held back (a negative trait) rather than our foundational beliefs (something that we rely on and celebrate). To the point we removed the anchor from our chests and went with chevrons :p Today if we had the anchor on our chest, perhaps it would be a reminder in game and visible to each player of what we play for ...

The process of 'anchoring' I find interesting because of the link to NLP - as a process for associating something with a trigger, and with psychology generally as a cognitive bias - distorting our view of the world by our initial frame of reference. Both of which seem somehow less palatable than being a straight synonym for values :p

Anchors provide safety and stability.

Sounds like what the core is doing

I have always loved the anchor as part of our history.
I could never understand the garbage spruiked about it dragging us down.It is a symbol , like the Tiger is to Richmond. Is the Tiger going to tear the club apart!! MMMM maybe not a good analogy. But you get my drift.
I was stoked a few years back when they stated that the anchor would remain a symbol for our club.
I think that the values of any club is driven by the players. We, at the moment have a playing group that plays for each other and the club. I think we are seeing a group that are linked together, unlike any other we have had.

I think our club has come of age and the players are demanding of each other with the belief that they are as good if not better than other clubs. 1722579577982.png

Last edited:

Corbett uses “anchoring” from around 20:00 a way to focusing on what’s important. I think there’s a concerted effort to use “anchor” in the language of the boys and their values and processes.

it was not the anchor symbol that held us back it was the club management. lack of being able to keep players in the west. the lack of enough skilled players.

we never should have got rid of the original anchor.

i used to love dragging the anchor onto the oval at start of home games. we were different we were not clones of the other clubs. We made the club song more modern. but then the powers that be chose to not use the full song anymore and just turned it into "Freo way to go" nice. but now we were losing our differential to other clubs.
They took the Green off our jumpers and made us a purple team with a chevron

None of that won us a premiership

So sadly in 30yrs we havent held onto a lot of our tradition and still finding our feet.

Hopefully we can stabilise now and start building a club culture with all these values they speak of

Bring on WHARFIE time more often :)

There's also the 'For the Anchor' phrase now too. There is one is at club HQ, another in the Optus change rooms - where the trademark trait for each round is chosen and displayed.

Also have the saying on the back wall of the theatre room at Cockburn.
that's really cool - has it always been there? or is it a newer addition?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me there has always been a strong fan association of the anchor to the players, the place the team is from and the history of footy in Fremantle. This has always been there, but ignored or forgotten by the administration of the club and especially the WA football commission, who treated Freo pretty poorly early on.

I agree that more should be made of the “wharfie time”.

it was not the anchor symbol that held us back it was the club management. lack of being able to keep players in the west. the lack of enough skilled players.

we never should have got rid of the original anchor.

i used to love dragging the anchor onto the oval at start of home games. we were different we were not clones of the other clubs. We made the club song more modern. but then the powers that be chose to not use the full song anymore and just turned it into "Freo way to go" nice. but now we were losing our differential to other clubs.
They took the Green off our jumpers and made us a purple team with a chevron

None of that won us a premiership

So sadly in 30yrs we havent held onto a lot of our tradition and still finding our feet.

Hopefully we can stabilise now and start building a club culture with all these values they speak of

Bring on WHARFIE time more often :)
Like you Raz, I prefer the version the ladies use, "we're the rollers etc.
Much more uplifting.
Originally I loved the multi colours, but once the Chevrons came in, I think it gave us a real football guernsey look.I still have an original bomber jacket and a cardigan style original. Wear them from time to time.
The Anchor the club used pre game was stopped by the AFL because of the damage it may cause to the ground,especially after rain.
I think long term, or short term in our case, we have done pretty damn well. Compare us to the Saints, Footscray, three flags I think between them.One of the Bulldogs flag was won with assistance from the AFL .Even with AFL assistance the Saints are still a battling side regardless of what they say.Sruggle financially and playing wise.
Fremantle have never put their hand out for anything from the AFL.
Said it before and will say it again,we are the club that had to be, but no one wanted, wants us.
I believe that we are making the other clubs sit up and take note of us, not just on the field, but off the field.We are making the wheels turn to improve our bad deal. Trying to change the FIX turing and travel.
TOO ADD: Wharfie time is a pretty new saying. It is a Pav time thing, and a late Pav saying.. Doesn't really relate to anything from 30 years back.

Last edited:
As a non-OG supporter who has only really hopped on the numpty bandwagon after the Steves had gotten hold of the club, I actually like our current jumper and our colours. The cheverons on the dark purple background look sleek and classy. Chevrons are also symbolically related to warriors/soldiers and so very much aligns with our supporter fan base being the Purple Army.

I do agree though that it’s somewhat sanitised our identity as battlers and our more unique and quirky beginnings and the history behind it.

Which is why I also love how the club are bringing back the anchor into the current zeitgeist of the Club, as a symbol of grounding into its roots, its values, and what it stands for. I think it signifies the quest for change and striving to be a “serious” footy club while now really going back and embracing where we came from and finding an identity that will take us into the future.

Last edited:
BTW as we hear in the Olympics, in the team (relay) swim events the final 'bring it home" swimmer - usually their top performer - is "the anchor".
yes, great reference

I love that there's so much imagery with our team that enables us to form an attachment. I was born and raised in Freo, but it's the team's core values that keep me devoted. I couldn't follow a team that dismisses and ignores issues like racism, drug use, violence etc. I know we have our issues, like all other clubs, but our core seems to be proactive in trying to tackle these issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Layering of core values within the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back