LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

blood_pressure_chart.gif

Just saw the end of Catalyst & they mentioned they would be having a look at Low Carb next week
Should be good. Maryanne Demasi is doing it so we know it wont be DAA or Heart Foundation propaganda. Shane Watson features talking about his ongoing battle with the bulge and LCHF

I wonder if the recent low carb downunder will feature as their were some heavyweights like Noakes and Phinney speaking.

[EDIT- It was, here is the low carb downunder link "This episode was partially shot during our Low Carb Down Under Melbourne event on August 30th and is sure to be controversial." Will be interesting.]
https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbDownUnder?fref=nf

Last edited:
Should be good. Maryanne Demasi is doing it so we know it wont be DAA or Heart Foundation propaganda. Shane Watson features talking about his ongoing battle with the bulge and LCHF

I wonder if the recent low carb downunder will feature as their were some heavyweights like Noakes and Phinney speaking.

[EDIT- It was, here is the low carb downunder link "This episode was partially shot during our Low Carb Down Under Melbourne event on August 30th and is sure to be controversial." Will be interesting.]
https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbDownUnder?fref=nf
exc.gif

PS would marry maryanne demasi

So anyway, since I dont want to keep having to buy little grinders of pink salt everytime I had a look to see if I could just buy bulk..
http://www.himalayansaltaustralia.com.au/products-page/free-shipping/himalayan-grinding-salt-2-5-kg/

Found that and was wondering if anyone had ever ordered from them? And can vouch for it?
Also the website has "Grinding Salt" and well as "Cooking Salt" which just appears to be the same thing but already grounded, if I already owned a grinder I might as well buy the "Grinding Salt" then?

Just worried as it didnt provide a product description and it may not be for cooking purposes!

It's a lot easier to just dismiss anything new as a fad than to actually make an effort to understand.

My favourite is when people say IF is just a fad as if man has been having 3 square meals a day for the last 100,000 years.
The original Fast 5 Diet, not the Mosley cash cow rip off version was based around original hunter gatherers totalling 5 hours per day consuming food the remainder hunting, gathering, resting and sleeping.

To be honest I was pretty confused about this lifestyle to start with and the reason for this is that I think the term 'high fat' is misleading. I was under the impression to start with that you had to eat the equivalent of 100g of butter every time you had a meal. I think 'low carb, enough fat to keep you from feeling hungry' is a better description of the lifestyle.

So anyway, since I dont want to keep having to buy little grinders of pink salt everytime I had a look to see if I could just buy bulk..
http://www.himalayansaltaustralia.com.au/products-page/free-shipping/himalayan-grinding-salt-2-5-kg/

Found that and was wondering if anyone had ever ordered from them? And can vouch for it?
Also the website has "Grinding Salt" and well as "Cooking Salt" which just appears to be the same thing but already grounded, if I already owned a grinder I might as well buy the "Grinding Salt" then?

Just worried as it didnt provide a product description and it may not be for cooking purposes!

Never bought from them before but my local Healthy Life store sells 250g PHS fine grade, I also have PHS in a grinder for over meat n Vege.

To be honest I was pretty confused about this lifestyle to start with and the reason for this is that I think the term 'high fat' is misleading. I was under the impression to start with that you had to eat the equivalent of 100g of butter every time you had a meal. I think 'low carb, enough fat to keep you from feeling hungry' is a better description of the lifestyle.

Yes first impressions when you hear high fat, low carb high protein can sound scary but it all depends on what someone is currently eating.
High fat indicted that you eat more fat than protein n carbs but from the outsider it can cause fear.
100g protein would seem high to a vegan.
Low carbs/ 50 a day may sound low but only compared to people shovelling 2-300g carbs a day.

The funny thing is most obese people would consume 200+ grams of fats daily from vegetable oils etc yet hesitate to go on a diet that is labelled high fat yet it's lessfqt than they current consume n butter/coconut fat is healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I call it my lifestyle too, people tend to call it a diet but I'm not on a diet my lifestyle picks what I eat.

Its not misleading as its not low carb high protein. The idea is carbs on the lower side of 30-80g protein for the average person (non lifter/athlete) 0.8-1.2g per "eventual targeted" kg of bodyweight and the remainder fat which will be roughly 65-70%

On the protein amount, here is Mark Sissons take.

The Sedentary
The RDA of 0.8 g protein/kg bodyweight or 0.36 g protein/lb bodyweight assumes you are sedentary, uninterested in gaining muscle, and free of health issues that might compromise your lean mass. If that describes you, the RDA is a good baseline from which to experiment. Just don’t go below that.

The Active
Athletes need more protein than the average person, but perhaps not as much as most fitness enthusiasts think (or consume). A 2011 paper on optimal protein intakes for athletes concluded that 1.8 g protein/kg bodyweight (or 0.8 g protein/lb bodyweight) maximizes muscle protein synthesis (while higher amounts are good for dieting athletes interested in preserving lean mass), whereas another settled on “a diet with 12-15% of its energy as protein,” assuming “total energy intake is sufficient to cover the high expenditures caused by daily training” (which could be quite high). One study even found benefit in 2-3 g protein/kg bodyweight (0.9-1.4 g protein/lb bodyweight) for athletes, a significant increase over standard recommendations. That said, I wouldn’t be too quick to discount anecdotal evidence or “iron lore.” A significant-enough portion of the strength training community swears by 1-2 g protein/lb bodyweight that it couldn’t hurt to try if lower amounts aren’t working for you.

The Dieters
Weight loss involves a caloric deficit (whether arrived at spontaneously or consciously). Unfortunately, caloric deficits rarely discriminate between lean mass and body fat, while most people are interested in losing fat, not muscle/bone/tendon/sinew/organ. Numerous studies show that increasing your protein intake during weight loss will partially offset the lean mass loss that tends to occur. In obese and pre-obese women, a 750 calorie diet with 30% of calories from protein (about 56 grams) preserved more lean mass during weight loss than an 18% protein diet. Another study in women showed that a 1.6 g protein/kg bodyweight (or 0.7 g protein/lb bodyweight) diet led to more weight loss, more fat loss, and less lean mass loss than a 0.8 g protein/kg bodyweight diet. Among dieting athletes, 2.3 g protein/kg bodyweight (or a little over 1 g protein/lb bodyweight) was far superior to 1.0 g protein/kg bodyweight in preserving lean mass. And, although specific protein intake recommendations were not stated, a recent meta-analysis concluded that high-protein weight loss diets help preserve lean mass.

The Injured
Healing wounds increases protein requirements. After all, you’re literally rebuilding lost or damaged tissue, the very definition of an anabolic state. One review recommends around 1.5 g protein/kg bodyweight or close to 0.7 g protein/lb bodyweight for injured patients.

The Elderly
The protein RDA may not suffice for older people, who lose thigh muscle mass and exhibit lower urinary nitrogen excretion when given the standard 0.8 g protein/kg bodyweight. What’s good for the goose may not be good for the elderly, frail gander. More recent studies indicate that a baseline intake of 1.0-1.3 g protein/kg bodyweight or 0.5-0.6 g protein/lb bodyweight is more suitable for the healthy and frail elderly to ensure nitrogen balance. As always, active seniors will probably do better with slightly more, and evidence suggests that increasing protein can both improve physical performance without necessarily increasing muscle mass and increase muscle mass when paired with extended resistance training in the elderly.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-protein-should-you-be-eating/#ixzz3IXsPTFBo

I call it my lifestyle too, people tend to call it a diet but I'm not on a diet my lifestyle picks what I eat.

Being a diabetic it is the way that I have found that keeps my blood sugars down and for this reason something that I envisage doing for the rest of my life, unless a cure for diabetes comes along, whereas 'diet' suggests something more temporary and a quick fix weight loss program.

Its not misleading as its not low carb high protein. The idea is carbs on the lower side of 30-80g protein for the average person (non lifter/athlete) 0.8-1.2g per "eventual targeted" kg of bodyweight and the remainder fat which will be roughly 65-70%

Maybe not misleading but confusing. When I tell people I eat 'low carbs, high fat' they immediately assume that I chomp down on a barrel of lard for each meal.

Maybe not misleading but confusing. When I tell people I eat 'low carbs, high fat' they immediately assume that I chomp down on a barrel of lard for each meal.

Yeah that's why I only say low carb.
Even then people say , But where do you get your energy, I reply, let's go for a run n I show you!

I like people's face/response when talking about butter n they say they've cut back on butter cos it's bad for your heart & I say yeah I've cut back too, from 200g to only 100g!

Remove this Banner Ad

LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back