Lenny Hayes - Touching the umpire

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Hayes puts hands on umpire.

Lenny should have copped some time on the sides for that. It was not as threatening as Shaw's instance but now they (MRP) have set the precedent that there is a grey area in this rule.

Re: AFL admit umpiring incident error

THE AFL has conceded the Lenny Hayes umpiring touching incident slipped through to the keeper.
Footage screened last night showed Hayes making slight contact with umpire Shaun Ryan, but it was not looked at by the match review panel yesterday.
The MRP was not alerted because Ryan declined to raise it as an issue as he did not feel threatened. Therefore, it did not view it with a raft of other incidents yesterday.
After public comparisons with the Hayes incident and the Heath Shaw incident involving umpire Michael Vozzo last year, the match review panel today reconvened to look at the incident in the St Kilda v Collingwood game on Friday night.
Hayes was officially cleared after the panel looked at the video and also spoke to Ryan.
The fact Ryan had no issue was Hayes helped his cause, whereas Vozzo made it clear last year that he found Shaw’s actions threatening.
which is in direct contrast to what they said after the shaw case:

AFL legal counsel Jeff Gleeson said Shaw's contact was not malicious. "But that's not the point, a player must not make contact intentionally with an umpire," Gleeson said.

They have dealt with this quite poorly, I didn't think there was much in it, but they set a precedent from their previous rulings. The Gleeson quote from Nardz and things such as this;
North Melbourne captain Brent Harvey was suspended for two matches in 2001 after admitting he tapped umpire Shane McInerney on the arm during a pre-season semi-final.

Harvey told the tribunal he was only trying to alert McInerney to an incident behind play.

It was clearly a non-aggressive act, but that did not matter.

All over the shop, I don't see how they can just pick and choose which are deemed suspendable and which are not, especially when Harvey got two weeks for tapping an umpire on the shoulder.

That is disgusting, The MRP clearly made a statement last year that the umpires were off limits no matter how negligible the contact.
I was disgusted at the decision to suspend Heath Shaw but sucked it up thinking, 'well ok then you cannot touch the umps intentionally'. But low and behold the vile hypocritical MRP confuses the situation yet again. Don't get me wrong I don't think either instance deserved a suspension but when the AFL set a precedent and then turn a blind eye the next time a similar incident occurs it reeks of corruption.

I am of the view that if you touch the umpire regardless of intent you should automatically get a 1 week suspension, longer if it is more serious.

All players need to understand the umpire is off limits. In soccer a player was suspended for 9 months for a heath shaw type incident. Obviously I am not suggesting a 9 month suspension but a 1 week is great.

On a side note how did th MRP miss this? They are paid to do this job.

With all the criticism and frustrations of umpires and umpiring - i think an element of respect between umpire/player needs to be adhered.

What Harvey did 9 years ago is somewhat irrelevant - as the game and rules has changed significantly since.

heath Shaw was clearly trying to pull the umpire in a different direction - it wasn't greg williams like, but a week was sufficient.

However - discretion has to be taken into account. Luke Hodge's arm around the umpire last year (?) was great for building respect and comraderie between players and umps - however without discretion - he should have got a week.

You'll occasionally see players giving umps a pat on the back - it's all part of the respect.

Personally I didn't think the Hayes one deserved any suspension - he wasn't trying to move the ump or be threatening, it was more a human way of engaging another person. It looked from the outside the contact was made with respect.

clear case of double standards...

if it was buddy franklin, he would have got 4 weeks for it...

Cant find any reason to date why he got let off. Steven King copped 4 weeks last year for the same thing.

Why Humpa are you still masquerading as a Geelong Supporter?

Those of us who are unfortunate enough to know you realise that your husband is a Cats fan and you, princess, are a St.Kilda supporter.

EVERY post I have read of yours is trolling Collingwood and pumping up the Saints.

If only you put this level of effort into your work......:eek:

All over the shop, I don't see how they can just pick and choose which are deemed suspendable and which are not.

Spot on.
And what is this garbage from the MRP that they didn't know about it so didn't look into it? Clued up bunch, aren't they.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lenny Hayes - Touching the umpire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back