Remove this Banner Ad

the distributer

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gday guys.

I know there's talk of Leon heading home every year, but it's come from the horses mouth this time (refer to article on the AFL site).

Just wondering what you guys feel about it and if you're interested/not and what you'd be willing to pay, 2nd or 3rd rounder? or are there any Vic players on your list that might be wanting to move home?

Good luck with the rest of the year.

Gday guys.

I know there's talk of Leon heading home every year, but it's come from the horses mouth this time (refer to article on the AFL site).

Just wondering what you guys feel about it and if you're interested/not and what you'd be willing to pay, 2nd or 3rd rounder? or are there any Vic players on your list that might be wanting to move home?

Depends. Has no finals track record. His lack of defensive qualities is masked at Collingwood because they have some crack defenders.

As a small forward, could you play him and Ballantyne. Will SonSon come on sufficiently?

Prefer Ash McGrath as last three weeks highlights we have no one to cover small forwards other than Roger.

I can't see the club going for it, they'd be crucified for doing it and he'd be targetted every week with his form falling victim to the WA media, in fact VIC media as well. He'd be good for guys like Son son, maybe motivating him to chase his dream a little more but I can't see it happening for Leon over here.

• Banned
Depends. Has no finals track record. His lack of defensive qualities is masked at Collingwood because they have some crack defenders.

As a small forward, could you play him and Ballantyne. Will SonSon come on sufficiently?

Prefer Ash McGrath as last three weeks highlights we have no one to cover small forwards other than Roger.

You realise he's odds on for the AA BP spot don't you?, he's been awesome down back for us this year, one on one work has been outstanding and his run from defense has been very very good, elite skills, great reflexes etc, has 2 very good years left IMO.

Only if you dont expect anything for him. We got pick 55 for Tarrant who is in a similar boat but is a KPD defender, not a pocket. He's not even sure he wants to play next year, hasnt come out and said he will yet. So yeah, pick in the 80s and i'm interested

According to Mick Malthouse on Saturday radio, Davis may well hang up the boots and head back to WA if he plays in a premiership (and presumably, gets a kick this time).

Malthouse added the once a player makes a decision to retire - or even thinks about it - that's it, they're spent.

Place this in the reject file, along with anything this OP suggests.

According to Mick Malthouse on Saturday radio, Davis may well hang up the boots and head back to WA if he plays in a premiership (and presumably, gets a kick this time).

Malthouse added the once a player makes a decision to retire - or even thinks about it - that's it, they're spent.

Place this in the reject file, along with anything this OP suggests.

Tore your Jeff Garlett a new one, bitter much?

We need DEFENSIVE small backs.

Honestly rather Surjan...Could not gove a shizen if he got a kick, as long as he could stop guys like Betts, milne and Schneider looking like Jeff Farmer.

Seriously shitting me
Was suggested to me on the weekend that Surjan coming home anyway. Love his work but the mock on him has always been that he is too slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd have to consider ourselves a premeirship/top 4 contender for next year if we were to pick up Davis and only the more optomistic fans would be saying that after this week.
We've struggled coming out of defence this year so Davis' precise kicking would be a handy addition for us particularly if we were to trade Duffield or Ibbotson in Jaegar deal. Last year when he was up for trade the 2 questions over his worth were his age and his performance in finals. One has gotten worse and the other is yet to be seen this year.
If he really wants to head home he can threaten to retire unless he plays at a WA club pushing his value down to a 4th round pick or the PSD. If that's the price I'd take him on a 1 year contract. West Coast might offer their 3rd rounder.
If he filled a need for a club challanging next year and he didn't care where he went you might've been able to get a 2nd round pick for him, but it's very similar to the Tarrant case and Leon is worth less.

Gday guys.

Why sell yourself short mate? 1st rounder all the way for a downhill skiier that goes missing when it matters. We haven't got any of those.

Was suggested to me on the weekend that Surjan coming home anyway. Love his work but the mock on him has always been that he is too slow.
On the contrary, he's one of the fastest players in the AFL when it comes to repeat sprint testing. His acceleration is a determining factor in his ability to defend the dangerous small forwards. He'll be better in 2012 given he will have a preseason this time around.

Unfortunately we have been burnt badly by players coming home in the past, so many freo supporters have ingrained in their heads an anti trade sentiment especially if the player is in the second half of his career.

Personally I think Leon would be a excellent addition to our side, our skill level in defence has been deplorable this year and Leon's stats speak for themselves. As long as the trade is reasonable, a second or third rounder sounds fair to me, why not. Collingwood would have to be prepared to accept not a great deal as he is out of contract and will end up in the PSD if a trade cant be met.

Even though this year has been dissapointing there is no doubt with minimal injuries and another FULL pre season into our youth we should be a top 6 side. An opportunity to take a very good player that can fill a role we need filling from the best team in it should at the least be considered.

Gday guys.

No quick fixes is my answer...so NO to Leon Davis.....he'd be on the list at Freo tops 2 years and then what....thats even if he decides to play on next year!

As for Surjan....He can play in the WAFL for all i care!

Unfortunately we have been burnt badly by players coming home in the past, so many freo supporters have ingrained in their heads an anti trade sentiment especially if the player is in the second half of his career.

Personally I think Leon would be a excellent addition to our side, our skill level in defence has been deplorable this year and Leon's stats speak for themselves. As long as the trade is reasonable, a second or third rounder sounds fair to me, why not. Collingwood would have to be prepared to accept not a great deal as he is out of contract and will end up in the PSD if a trade cant be met.

Even though this year has been dissapointing there is no doubt with minimal injuries and another FULL pre season into our youth we should be a top 6 side. An opportunity to take a very good player that can fill a role we need filling from the best team in it should at the least be considered.

I think you need to consider that Davis is currently playing away from the distraction of family. Part of his motvation to come back to WA is family related and his standard of play will be affected.

I think you need to consider that Davis is currently playing away from the distraction of family. Part of his motvation to come back to WA is family related and his standard of play will be affected.

How is that Reg?? Most people would perform better when surrounded by family in a settled environment. What makes you say his family is a distraction.

We could of had him last year in the Taz trade an we told em to stick it.

So yeah we are going to give up a draft pick so we can get him this year instead.

What does he do?
Small defender who can create from the backline.
Hmmm i will take Broughton to do that role, Suban to play midfield.
Def dont need him as a small forward.

I wont be too concerned if he doesnt play for us. I just get frustrated at times with people always saying no to players from other clubs especially if they carry a little stigma.
Im sure Hawks Fans were rapped in 2007 when they took a 100+ Kg player who hadnt played in a year, yet just one year later he was a key member of a premiership side. Just because in the past we have had a bad run with recycled players doesnt mean we should never go down that path again.

How is that Reg?? Most people would perform better when surrounded by family in a settled environment. What makes you say his family is a distraction.

Its a difficult topic to discuss without risking being branded a racist, but is nonetheless an accurate reflection on the impact of family life for nyungahs who are professionally successful. I know The Wiz had issues with it when he returned, but it depends on how the individual embraces their culture and the concept of extended family.

No matter how I discuss this, its not going to end well and I may even raise the ire of Moo, which is not a good outcome. Can I back away quietly now please?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leon Davis, interested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back