Think Tank Leon Davis Medal 2024 - discussion pre-game, then nominations, then voting...

Who was pathetic?

• Heeney

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Parker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amartie?

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Hipwood

• Horse

• Papley

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Blakey

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final day brings many acolades to the victor, and bronx cheers to the loser - I dont know if they cheer that much in the Bronx?

But amongst the great players is one who is a complete spud - could be one who clangs and misses a match winning goal, or could be one who has the most time on ground for little to no impact...

But it's the most glorious day of the football year! Grand Final day, where we find out which club supporters have bragging rights for 12 months and who will be mercilessly trolled for that same period (or longer). A new player will make a zero of himself by being crowned the 2024 Leon Davis Medallist! :thumbsu:

leondavismedalface2_zps1ad7d175 (1).jpg

A Bay 13 tradition, the Leon Davis Medal is awarded to the player deemed 'worst on ground' in the Grand Final.
There are many more ways to determine the WOG than the BOG. :rainbow:

Previous Winners:

2011: Alan Didak
2012: Cyril Rioli
2013: Hayden Ballantyne
2014: Lewis Jetta
2015: Jack Darling
2016: Kurt Tippett
2017: Josh Jenkins
2018: Steele Sidebottom
2019: Jeremy Finlayson
2020: Patrick Dangerfield
2021: Cody Weightman
2022: Gary Rohan
2023: Billy Frampton

The Leon always brings out the trolling, melting and schaudenfreude (sort of means gloating). Plus it's something supporters of all clubs can be involved in.

Post your predictions from now, post your nominations during the game, and we'll see who wins this most inglorious of awards. :$

Yeah, I guess fair enough. But you've got 3 high-profile 'quality' players who are deserving, so I think it's a bit silly to give it to an already recognised spud.

Leons are supposed to consider more than just the output, but also should consider expected output.

spudding it up is the only criteria, not expected outcome

Heeney had a stress fracture in his foot which is why he went off late (and probs limited his effectiveness)

went back and forth but voted for papley. by all accounts uninjured but spudded it up and provided zero energy.

actually tbf most of the swans players did. look how often we saw brisbane's forwards drop into the midfield/d50 to help out in contrast to the swannies? embarrassing. didn't want to do the grunt work required for premierships and only wanted the flashy highlight reel plays that look good

The entire Sydney team was more like Sydney Gary Rohan instead of Geelong Gary Rohan.

Hipwood safely the worst for Brisvegas, but he did manage to kick it through the big sticks so gets a borderline pass.

Amartey had what, one shot on goal which wen out on the full? That's pretty piss poor.

It gets Hipwood out of this year's running but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that by the end of his career he may even match Gary Rohan in services to GF spuddery.

Changed my vote to Papley. Amartey was a total spud but I get the point that he isn't held in as high regard and I refuse to vote heeny considering he actually got injured with a stress fracture in the foot so feel like that's more of an injury troll.

For mine Amartey and McLean were the actual worst 4 Q players on the ground. Brought zero.

For mine, The Chad Warner was the most disappointing. One, because of the absolute boom on him, and two because i half expected him to spud it up in the GF again. Something about him screams....yeah, but....nahhhhh.

I’ve just finished rewatching the game.

I now regret voting for Tom Papley.

I’mma let you finish.

But Justin McInerney turned in the worst performance of all time.

So pathetic & weak. Summed up by his refusal to take possession in the forward pocket trying to slap it back to Papley but all he did was get it to Starcevich. Weak as piss. Heeney played with a stress fracture. Neale doesn’t even know what’s wrong with his foot. His namesake played an extra quarter last week after dislocating his shoulder which proved pivotal in allowing Daniher to run out the game.

He couldn’t even take possession of an uncontested ball.

Today was his 92nd game. No he’s not a kid anymore.
He had 7 disposals in his first grand final. He had 6 disposals in the qualifying final - and got excused for “not being fit”. Justin, you’re not good enough to “not be fit” in a final.

Today he had 10 disposals (1 was a kick in) as an outside player. 88 meters gained…2 turnovers.
His “best stat” was 3 goal assists - great in theory. 2 of them came in the last quarter when game was over.
1 tackle.

Sums up the Swans performance - the absolute epitome of weak & outplayed.

I’ll die on this hill. And request a recount of the poll with him added in. Had a shocker. That slap over his head to Starcevich should be reminded to him in every game he plays from now on as a sledge.

And it just adds into a list of shit finals performances from him. I’ll throw up the next time a Swans fan tries to be taps nose wink wink smarter than the rest by saying well Akshually he’s one of our most important players!

For mine Amartey and McLean were the actual worst 4 Q players on the ground.

For mine, The Chad Warner was the most disappointing. One, because of the absolute boom on him, and two because i half expected him to spud it up in the GF again. Something about him screams....yeah, but....nahhhhh.

He, along with Robbie Fox, were the only 2 Swans to show up in 2022. What do you mean “again”?

So was Papley the one kicking it to Starcevich? Thats on the mids.

So Papley needs good service or he’s useless? Well that’s not what his contract/reputation says. He should, you know, at least compete with Starcevich if the mids don’t deliver it to him…his 1 goal was as much as you would consider a “trick play” in footy by coming off the bench & losing his opponent. But other than that he didn’t compete - he didn’t beat Starc in the air, he didn’t beat him on the ground, he didn’t apply defensive pressure. And yet he’s their “barometer”. He didn’t even move into the midfield to give them something, or didn’t offer short leads so they didn’t bomb to Andrews…

It’s not 1970 anymore. The positions also aren’t split into the backs stop the goals, the mids kick it to the forwards, the forwards kick the goals you know?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Heeney hit a Lions player lace out 3-4 times. He was struggling today though, his mark I50 was worth more than McDonald, Amaretey and McLean combined.

Warner had 2 clearances and 1 tackle. He should be in the nominations.

McDonald complete disgrace putting his hand up to play. Can we make a Jade Gresham award for most selfish player?

Amartey just has that spud aura you can feel through the TV. He sprayed an easy set shot by 20 metres, went an entire hour of playing time without a touch and got bronx cheered. Think he is a deserving winner.

This is a really hard decision. So many spuds, and only one Leon to give.

Bevo set the precedent in 2016...........

We also saw today that you can give multiple people the same medal when there is more than one of them (re: co-captains!).

If there is more than one spud - they should all get the Leon Davis medal. Fairs fair in love and war.... and Sydney failing on the last Saturday in September!

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Tank Leon Davis Medal 2024 - discussion pre-game, then nominations, then voting...

Back