Team Captain
Suspended
Sep 9, 2004
Other Teams
Pies
Pies ask for cap equality
By Caroline Wilson
September 13, 2004

The AFL is headed for another showdown over the Brisbane Lions' salary-cap concessions, with Collingwood preparing to confront the commission on Wednesday with a solution to the controversial inequity that is scheduled to remain in place until the end of 2006.

The Magpies will push for the AFL to use the multimillion-dollar chest it has, to date, reserved for struggling Victorian clubs to allow all 16 teams a Brisbane-style top-up to their total player payments.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and his chief executive, Greg Swann, have accepted that it is now too late to remove the Lions' advantage for 2005, so will instead suggest that every other club be given an equal salary cap - worth an estimated extra $473,000 next season.

The renewed push comes with the Lions a strong favourite to take out their fourth successive premiership - which would equal the Magpies' record set in the 1920s and '30s- and follows yesterday's passionate plea from Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy for the Lions to be stripped of what has been justified by the AFL as an allowance to help the Queensland club prevent interstate players from leaving.

"Retention was just a figment of the AFL's imagination," said Swann last night. "They're trying to defend the indefensible . . . perhaps they don't want to lose face.

I think they should all go to the old Laundrel Hospital,they have totally lost the plot.

The Pies total player payments in 2003 was MORE than what the Lions payed their players,due to the Veterans List.............get over it guys...........

• Banned
I really cant understand why everyone is so hot under the collar about posting this, it is obviously a hot topic or the major newspapers wouldn't be splashing it everyday :confused:

Gunder said:
I really cant understand why everyone is so hot under the collar about posting this, it is obviously a hot topic or the major newspapers would'nt splashing it everyday :confused:

Because people will never agree with what Collingwood think.

It's annoying, but eventually you'll get over it.

For example: if you post a 'Chris Tarrant V's *a much worse player from another team*' thread, the latter will win.

It's the BigFooty way, my friend.

Gunder said:
I really cant understand why everyone is so hot under the collar about posting this, it is obviously a hot topic or the major newspapers wouldn't be splashing it everyday :confused:

It is only getting splashed in Victoria. Obviously no one has woken up that Ed wan't a couple of teams to dissappear because if that gets up there is no doubt that is what will happen.

• Banned
leonmagic said:
Actually I am new, so I dont know who he is, what did he do? mention the unmentionable? that cap concessions are sanctioned cheating and a blight on the game?

RIPPER_46 said:
It is only getting splashed in Victoria. Obviously no one has woken up that Ed wan't a couple of teams to dissappear because if that gets up there is no doubt that is what will happen.
Uhhh ok, so what was behind his push to save the Bulldogs and get them sponsorship and membership? some sort of master plan?

Gunder said:
Uhhh ok, so what was behind his push to save the Bulldogs and get them sponsorship and membership? some sort of master plan?

More games in Melbourne so the Pies don't have to travel.
8 point headstart.

It is very generous of Ed to spend everyones money this year topping up the financially challenged clubs this year , but what happens next year and the year after that when these clubs are stuck with an extra 600k in recurrent expenditure?

If I was a Bullies, Kangas , Dees , Tigers supporter I would be very very worried.

This whole non issue is a beat up.
The Pies spent more on TPP than anyone in 2003.

RIPPER_46 said:
8 point headstart.

It is very generous of Ed to spend everyones money this year topping up the financially challenged clubs this year , but what happens next year and the year after that when these clubs are stuck with an extra 600k in recurrent expenditure?

If I was a Bullies, Kangas , Dees , Tigers supporter I would be very very worried.

Simple solution to that.... AFL ends all concessions

Gunder said:

People are sick of it because its collingwood people who seem to crapping on and on and on about it - how many threads have you started over it and have a look how many other collingwood fans have started threads about it

even have a look at the topic of the thread - its a blatant attempt to stir crap

all the threads and posts that have been made by collingwood fans has had the opposite effect as people would rather see Brisbane keep the extra money just to annoy Eddy and his hench men

PEOPLE ARE SICK OF HEARING YOU WINGE ABOUT IT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grolm37 said:
People are sick of it because its collingwood people who seem to crapping on and on and on about it - how many threads have you started over it and have a look how many other collingwood fans have started threads about it

even have a look at the topic of the thread - its a blatant attempt to stir crap

all the threads and posts that have been made by collingwood fans has had the opposite effect PEOPLE ARE SICK OF HEARING YOU WINGE ABOUT IT
Well Caro is a Richscum supporter and she thought it was worth writing about in a major daily..... take it up with her

Gunder said:

Its only a hot topic in Melbourne. And its only a hot topic because its being driven by those with a barrow to push. Notice its only 2 or 3 clubs that have got the ********s up with this. You don't hear diddly squat coming out of Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, or 7 other Victorian teams.

Caroline Wilson is a Richmond mouthpiece. Like Eddie & Sheedy, she's trying to divert attention away from the short-comings of her own team by placing the blame for their failures at the door of Brisbane's retention allowance.

Here's a novel idea: put up, or shut up! Brisbane can be beaten, rentention allowance or not. Just ask the Eagles & just ask Sydney.

RIPPER_46 said:
8 point headstart.

Do you have the stats on TPP or know where you can get them - I have been trying to get them for some time.

jourgo said:
Its only a hot topic in Melbourne. And its only a hot topic because its being driven by those with a barrow to push. Notice its only 2 or 3 clubs that have got the ********s up with this. You don't hear diddly squat coming out of Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, or 7 other Victorian teams.

Caroline Wilson is a Richmond mouthpiece. Like Eddie & Sheedy, she's trying to divert attention away from the short-comings of her own team by placing the blame for their failures at the door of Brisbane's retention allowance.

Here's a novel idea: put up, or shut up! Brisbane can be beaten, rentention allowance or not. Just ask the Eagles & just ask Sydney.
heh heh yeah exactly when did Wet Toast and Sydney beat the Brians in a grand final??? because we have beaten them in home and away too, even a final.... but the real concessions kick in on GF day when depth is obviously the most important factor after a year of injuries and suspensions

Gunder said:
heh heh yeah exactly when did Wet Toast and Sydney beat the Brians in a grand final??? because we have beaten them in home and away too, even a final.... but the real concessions kick in on GF day when depth is obviously the most important factor after a year of injuries and suspensions

What complete garbage! Your own team made the grand final in the past two seasons and damn near won one 'em. Are you saying it was a fluke?

The very notion that concessions lets you win a grand final is short sighted beyond comprehension.

Gunder said:
Hmmmm Brisbane 650 thousand more dollars..... wonder if that was worth the 9 point difference on GF day?

Funny how you see what you want to see in the TPP article. I saw that Port finished top of the ladder but paid 3rd least to their payments. I also saw that Sydney and Carlton paid their players more than Brisbane but still couldnt win the premiership.

Money helps but its not the difference. Far too simplistic answer which suits most Eddie's robots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets all cheat.... more rumblings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back