Lets all cheat.... more rumblings

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunder, I can see where you are coming from, and I think Collingwood are going about this in the right way by trying to come up with different soluition sot something that is a problem.

However, the issue is the AFL is riddled with inconsistancies and problems, the salary cap aside.

Collingwood get a gift draw from the AFl with blockbusters like ANZAC day. Eddie cricises club for trying to steal Collingwoods business ideas, and then turns around and tries to steal North Melbourne idea to have a day on Good Friday. Collingwood have also hijacked Friday night football (via Ch 9), also a North Melbourne business idea.

I believe Eddie, Collingwood and Channel 9 are also doing their own Grnad final breakfast, also a stolen idea form the Roos.

So whilst I agree it is unfair for Bris and Swans to have extra cap $, it is also grossly unfair for Bris to have to played at the MCG (AFL's fault).

I don't think the Pies get that bad a ride form the AFL.

jourgo said:
Its only a hot topic in Melbourne. And its only a hot topic because its being driven by those with a barrow to push. Notice its only 2 or 3 clubs that have got the ********s up with this. You don't hear diddly squat coming out of Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, or 7 other Victorian teams.

Caroline Wilson is a Richmond mouthpiece. Like Eddie & Sheedy, she's trying to divert attention away from the short-comings of her own team by placing the blame for their failures at the door of Brisbane's retention allowance.

Here's a novel idea: put up, or shut up! Brisbane can be beaten, rentention allowance or not. Just ask the Eagles & just ask Sydney.

Or Geelong, imagine they and St. Kilda have kept their mouth shut and worry about the business at hand. The Preliminary Finals are their focus. Not whining about the cap and Brisbane concessions.

Many here need to "GET OVER IT."

Gunder said:
Simple solution to that.... AFL ends all concessions
Sounds like a great idea and one that everyone would be happy with if....
1. The MCC contract that favours Victorian clubs is abandoned. (did anyone notice that depsite finishing 8th, had Essendon been good enough they would have played all 4 finals at their home ground?)
2. The draw becomes equitable so that over the years each club can expect to have a season where they travel interstate for at least 8 games. I think the Crows would love to have a season like the Pies where they play 18 games in SA!
3. The Grand final is played at the home of the team that is the highest qualified participant.
4. The major television games (Friday and Sat night) are shared evenly between ALL clubs and not just Collingwood and Essendon (if you want to look at revenue raising from sponsorship inequality start here!)
5. The stand alone games (ANZAC, mid season break etc..) are shared between all teams.

Sounds like a great plan, where do we sign up?

DJ75 said:
Sounds like a great idea and one that everyone would be happy with if....
1. The MCC contract that favours Victorian clubs is abandoned. (did anyone notice that depsite finishing 8th, had Essendon been good enough they would have played all 4 finals at their home ground?)
2. The draw becomes equitable so that over the years each club can expect to have a season where they travel interstate for at least 8 games. I think the Crows would love to have a season like the Pies where they play 18 games in SA!
3. The Grand final is played at the home of the team that is the highest qualified participant.
4. The major television games (Friday and Sat night) are shared evenly between ALL clubs and not just Collingwood and Essendon (if you want to look at revenue raising from sponsorship inequality start here!)
5. The stand alone games (ANZAC, mid season break etc..) are shared between all teams.

Sounds like a great plan, where do we sign up?

DJ75,In the interest of intelligent discussionL

I agree with pints 1, 4 and 5. I am a bit anti point 3. but that is because I am a traditionalist (and not a Victorian).

However I have always found the "18 home games" argument a little hard to swallow. Unless you mean that it means less travel expenses then I can't see how Melbourne based teams have it that good.

Consider that the advantages of playing at home are supposed to be:

- Crowd dominated by your own supporters.
- Opponent not as familiar with the ground; and
- Opponent has traveled (requiring flying) to get to the game.

And it makes it interesting to think of what home ground benefit the following clubs get when they play "home" games against each other at the MCG:

Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood.

Would be interested in your (and other supporters of the 18 home game theory) would have to say about my argument.

Regards

S. Pete

Stumpy Pete said:

I agree with pints 1, 4 and 5. I am a bit anti point 3. but that is because I am a traditionalist (and not a Victorian).

However I have always found the "18 home games" argument a little hard to swallow. Unless you mean that it means less travel expenses then I can't see how Melbourne based teams have it that good.

And it makes it interesting to think of what home ground benefit the following clubs get when they play "home" games against each other at the MCG:

Would be interested in your (and other supporters of the 18 home game theory) would have to say about my argument.

Regards

S. Pete

If you listen to the clubs, they'll tell you the biggest problem is flying. Crowd make-up is not a concern & ground familiarity, I think I'm with you on that one - all teams need to have strategies that fit the ground they play on that week.

Travel is the big one. Speaking from an Eagles fan's perspective, there have been some brilliant players who's careers have ended prematurely due in no small part to the amount of travel they've had to do and the extra stress it puts on the body. There is a massive recovery disadvantage in having to travel 3 or 4 hours in a plane to play a game & then having to to do the same to get back. It effectively puts you 24 hours behind your opposition for the next week in preparation. That's where the true problems lay.

Stumpy Pete said:

Regards

S. Pete
Thanks for that Stumpy Pete. Some interesting points and you've almost convinced me that some Collingwood supporters ARE capable of intelligent discussion (but I think at this point I'll have to consider it an aberration!)
Anyway, I think if you really want to understand the benefits you have to ask the players towards the end of the season or later in their careers. It's not so much where the game is and supporters etc.. it's what the constant travelling takes out of a player. A 2 hour plane flight is much more difficult than a 20 minute drive to a game. Then you also have the hotel rooms, buses etc to contend with.
At the end of the day it starts to catch up with you and you also have less time to recover properly before the next game due to the travel home.
To put it simply it is about the travel itself. If you're not convinced it's a factor, I ask you to look at the interstate win-loss ratio for Victorian clubs over a period of time, I think you will find it's not great. Now consider having to do that every second week! If that was suddenly a requirement next season for all Victorian clubs, then it would be no surprise to see the majority of them struggle to make the finals let alone have any impact once they get there!

Grolm37 said:
yeah but how many posts has she put on Bigfooty

probably none
Yeah she just writes a newspaper column that is read by 100's of thousands of people..... nice logic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grolm37 said:
no i would say the 9 point difference was due the lack of skill by the collingwood players on the day
Skill costs money... thanx for making my point

Shagga#6 said:
Gunder, I can see where you are coming from, and I think Collingwood are going about this in the right way by trying to come up with different soluition sot something that is a problem.

However, the issue is the AFL is riddled with inconsistancies and problems, the salary cap aside.

Collingwood get a gift draw from the AFl with blockbusters like ANZAC day. Eddie cricises club for trying to steal Collingwoods business ideas, and then turns around and tries to steal North Melbourne idea to have a day on Good Friday. Collingwood have also hijacked Friday night football (via Ch 9), also a North Melbourne business idea.

I believe Eddie, Collingwood and Channel 9 are also doing their own Grnad final breakfast, also a stolen idea form the Roos.

So whilst I agree it is unfair for Bris and Swans to have extra cap $, it is also grossly unfair for Bris to have to played at the MCG (AFL's fault).

I don't think the Pies get that bad a ride form the AFL.
Most of those decisions are the AFL or channel 9 making good business decisions based on Collingwood delivering bums on seats, or being the most watched club.... can hardly blame the club or Eddie for that, after all Eddie has a boss down at 9, Packer or something his name is, and unlike concessions those advantages are earnt by building the most famous club over the last 100 years.... not a gift from the AFL... one could argue all those parasites are just making money off our name rather than doing us any favours

Gunder said:
Skill is produced with a good football department, and collingwoods was the most expensive at $12.6m. All that money and so little skill. Kind of negates your $$$= skill argument dont you think??

Gunder said:
Yeah she just writes a newspaper column that is read by 100's of thousands of people..... nice logic

no it's read by the minority of people who havent learnt the she doesn't write anything original or she is writing on a topic that people like you think has any really effect of the make up of the comp

Gunder said:
yes coaches and training rooms do cost money - i seem to remember the Pies having opened a multi million dollar complex and throwing plenty of cash at coaches - is there a coaching salary cap ??

Gunder said:
Most of those decisions are the AFL or channel 9 making good business decisions based on Collingwood delivering bums on seats, or being the most watched club.... can hardly blame the club or Eddie for that, after all Eddie has a boss down at 9, Packer or something his name is, and unlike concessions those advantages are earnt by building the most famous club over the last 100 years.... not a gift from the AFL... one could argue all those parasites are just making money off our name rather than doing us any favours

if other teams got more air time wouldn't that then increase the chances of them gaining better sponsorship and also increasing the supporter base - its hard to gain ne members/supporters when your game gets an 1hr replay at 4pm on a sunday arvo.

Grolm37 said:
no read by the minority of people who havent learnt the she doesnt write anything original or she is writing on a topic that people like you think has any really effect of the make up of the comp

yes coaches and training rooms do cost money - i seem to remember the Pies having opened a multi millon dollar compex and throwing plenty of cash at coaches - is there a coaching salary cap ??

if other teams got more air time wouldnt that then increase the chances of them gaining better sponsership and also increasing the supporter base - its hard to gain ne members/supporters when your game gets an 1hr replay at 4pm on a sunday arvo.
Well I guess you will just have to put a little sweat and blood in like we did

Joffaboy said:
From continually bashing his head on the ground after two successive GF defeats to Brisbane. How else could you get so brain damaged?
Jeez would you even have a head left after 100 years of being the least successful club in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets all cheat.... more rumblings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back