Lewis Taylor vs Lachie Neale

Who do you think will end up the better player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

SeaWind

Team Captain
Suspended
May 5, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Both short players, both taken outside the top 20 of their respective draft. Neale averaging slightly better numbers this year, but he's also 2 years ahead in development.

Who do you think will end up the better player?

Neale averaging slightly better numbers this year

Slightly?

Neale - 27.2 disposals per game, 44.0% contested possessions, 76.6% disposal efficiency, 2.0 clangers per game, 5.0 marks per game, 0.8 goals per game, 0.3 goal assists per game, 3.3 inside 50s per game, 2.7 rebound 50s per game, 6.7 clearances per game, 3.9 tackles per game, 77.8% time on ground, 110.2 Champion Data Player Ranking Score average

Taylor - 21.4 disposals per game, 24.1% contested possessions, 75.2% disposal efficiency, 3.1 clangers per game, 4.8 marks per game, 0.6 goals per game, 0.2 goal assists per game, 2.2 inside 50s per game, 1.6 rebound 50s per game, 1.0 clearances per game, 1.7 tackles per game, 81.8% time on ground, 73.6 Champion Data Player Ranking Score average

Neale has been one of the best mids in the league this year, and is pushing for All-Australian selection. Taylor isn't anywhere near him. Yeah, I get the age difference, but this is a silly comparison all-round. Before you get to the gulf in their ability and production, they're not even similar types of midfielders. Taylor would have to change his entire game to emulate Neale.

Didn't you hear? Lewis Taylor is a crab who does nothing but run around in circles and doesn't hurt the opposition.

In all seriousness though, Taylor is a pretty good young player but I'd take Neale every day of the week and twice on gameday.

Didn't you hear? Lewis Taylor is a crab who does nothing but run around in circles and doesn't hurt the opposition.

In all seriousness though, Taylor is a pretty good young player but I'd take Neale every day of the week and twice on gameday.
Well are you sure that's not true. Granted I haven't been following him much but against the Dogs, that's pretty much exactly what he did. Barely hurt us at all.

Well are you sure that's not true. Granted I haven't been following him much but against the Dogs, that's pretty much exactly what he did. Barely hurt us at all.
yesterdsay in the wet was probably his best game even though he only got like 17 touches was alot more damaging and went at 94% DE when barely anyone else could get above 60

yesterdsay in the wet was probably his best game even though he only got like 17 touches was alot more damaging and went at 94% DE when barely anyone else could get above 60
Disposal efficiency means nothing. For all that means is 17 touches, with 16 of them being passed backwards but they hit the target.

I didn't actually watch the game so I can't actually comment, but DE doesn't actually prove anything.

Disposal efficiency means nothing. For all that means is 17 touches, with 16 of them being passed backwards but they hit the target.

I didn't actually watch the game so I can't actually comment, but DE doesn't actually prove anything.
if you watched the game you would know that 94% was incredible when nobody could take a clean possesion all game.

obviously you didnt watch the game because 94% was incredible when nobody could take a clean possesion all game.
You still haven't actually addressed my point. Were they actually going forward, inside 50, hurting the opposition? Or were they kicks backwards onto a chest which still count as effective disposals?

You still haven't actually addressed my point. Were they actually going forward, inside 50, hurting the opposition? Or were they kicks backwards onto a chest which still count as effective disposals?
yes they were forward, had 5 score involments out of a total of 13 for brisbane which is very good also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You won by 70 odd points... not sure any Lions player was hurting you that day.

As for not damaging, well we are last on the table with a 2-11 record and the worst percentage. Put Bont in our team and you'd probably be asking the same questions about him.

Stupid poll. Neale has been one of the best mids this year, Taylor is no where near his level

if you watched the game you would know that 94% was incredible when nobody could take a clean possesion all game.

I actually watched the game, and despite Taylor's good disposal efficiency, he second-guessed himself, ran around in a circle and shit his pants when contact was imminent multiple times. Looks like a deer in the headlights under pressure.

I actually watched the game, and despite Taylor's good disposal efficiency, he second-guessed himself, ran around in a circle and shit his pants when contact was imminent multiple times. Looks like a deer in the headlights under pressure.
mmmk

Slightly?

Neale - 27.2 disposals per game, 44.0% contested possessions, 76.6% disposal efficiency, 2.0 clangers per game, 5.0 marks per game, 0.8 goals per game, 0.3 goal assists per game, 3.3 inside 50s per game, 2.7 rebound 50s per game, 6.7 clearances per game, 3.9 tackles per game, 77.8% time on ground, 110.2 Champion Data Player Ranking Score average

Taylor - 21.4 disposals per game, 24.1% contested possessions, 75.2% disposal efficiency, 3.1 clangers per game, 4.8 marks per game, 0.6 goals per game, 0.2 goal assists per game, 2.2 inside 50s per game, 1.6 rebound 50s per game, 1.0 clearances per game, 1.7 tackles per game, 81.8% time on ground, 73.6 Champion Data Player Ranking Score average

Neale has been one of the best mids in the league this year, and is pushing for All-Australian selection. Taylor isn't anywhere near him. Yeah, I get the age difference, but this is a silly comparison all-round.
Stats don't prove one player is better than the other. I'm not suggesting Neale isn't the better player right now, but your stats count for squad, because important factors can only be determined by watching them play.

Also, the question was "Who do you think will end up the better player?".
Before you get to the gulf in their ability and production, they're not even similar types of midfielders. Taylor would have to change his entire game to emulate Neale.
Neale is comfortably better. However it isn't really a good comparison, Completely different players. Neale vs Taylor Adams would be better comparison.
Rubbish. They're both midfielders, that's enough to merit a comparison. Players don't need to be exactly the same in every way to be compared in a Bigfooty poll.

Haters are gonna hate. I guess D.Beams was shit house as well in that case.

Stats don't prove one player is better than the other. I'm not suggesting Neale isn't the better player right now, but your stats count for squad, because important factors can only be determined by watching them play.

Rubbish. They're both midfielders, that's enough to merit a comparison. Players don't need to be exactly the same in every way to be compared in a Bigfooty poll.
i dont think taylor has ever started in the square for a center bounce, his a small forward, winger not a midfielder.

One is an outside runner, the other is an inside clearance winner. It is a stupud comparison. Neale is far more damaging by foot as well.

One is an outside runner, the other is an inside clearance winner. It is a stupud comparison. Neale is far more damaging by foot as well.
Doesn't matter, they're both midfielders with contrasting qualities, which if anything, makes the comparison all the more interesting. What's stupid is people going into nearly every poll thread, crying about how it's a bad comparison because the players aren't exactly alike.

By your logic, you couldn't say Nat Fyfe is a better player than Chris Dawes because they're completely different players. The reality is, you can judge footballing ability based on how well a player performs in their given role and/or position. I could just as easily ask "who will end up the more valuable player?", would you bitch and moan then?

Doesn't matter, they're both midfielders with contrasting qualities, which if anything, makes the comparison all the more interesting. What's stupid is people going into nearly every poll thread, crying about how it's a bad comparison because the players aren't exactly alike.

By your logic, you couldn't say Nat Fyfe is a better player than Chris Dawes because they're completely different players. The reality is, you can judge footballing ability based on how well a player performs in their given role and/or position. I could just as easily ask "who will end up the more valuable player?", would you bitch and moan then?
I wouldn't start a Nat Fyfe vs Chris Dawes thread. So not sure what you are alluding to with that. Neale is a better player and Right now it isn't even questionable.

Stats don't always tell the full story, but in this case they do. The stats indicate that Neale is a far better player, which he currently is. As for who will end up the better player in the future, who can really say? Personally I see no reason why Neale can't continue to improve his game, even if Lewy improves his and becomes less crab like.

Haters are gonna hate. I guess D.Beams was shit house as well in that case.

Surely you can recognise the gulf in quality between the two?

Actually, comparing Neale and Beams might be a more worthwhile exercise, as they are actually similar types with similar output.

Back