Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Perhaps it’s purely a list age thing - but don’t see the value in baker

He’s a solid half back flanker at 26/27.

We need midfield quality urgently

Unless the plan is to move Duggan full time mid and replace him with baker

Graham comes free so I get it

Anyway - regardless of how he’s valued - I just don’t see how for west coast he’s worth pick 13 (plus minus whatever) given our obvious needs elsewhere

Baker is rookie draft level talent, 3 ft farmer good at "chaos ball" because he cant hit a target. Has his soul poisoned at Richmond, with the lattes, and the wife cheater coach, and wants to come back for a retirement gig. If we get this guy the club is totally finished not just a few year failure.
i do love a good sook and a good insult even though it has no influence in both clubs decisions.

Hope it made you feel better though.

my ideal scenario is that he re-signs with the tiges for a year and we get him as a UFA next year for nothing. tigers would probably end up getting a better pick this way also. we're trying to rebuild over here not run a shelter.

It probably worked against McQualter to be homegrown and too connected to the players. I reckon clubs don't love the optics of having a caretaker be the one to be appointed as it makes it appear as though they are being preferential. How can you have a fresh start/new era when you have someone at the helm who has all these pre-existing relationships.

McQualter might run into all the same problems though as Yze so you never know, maybe both of them are duds?
Like Schoey
He'll have to leave now. How could you work for a bloke that beat you to the job.
Freo bound??

Maybe I'm out of touch, but how is Baker worth anything remotely close to pick 13?
Victorian fans, particularly 'big Victorian club' fans, are used to having smoke blown up their ass by the media. If an uncontracted utility who has nominated a club wants out, the non-Victorian club is expected to pony up some real capital or he should go to the other non-Victorian club in that state. Now, if the roles are reversed, we have to honour the player's wishes, get him to the club of choice, he's uncontracted so not worth much etc.

Baker's worth a late first round pick, the fact he's uncontracted would usually mean we could offer 23 and say that's all you get cause that's all we have.

Unfortunately, a lot of non-Victorian clubs, including mine, have coughed up in the past to lend this narrative some credence. Time to nip it in the bud though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my ideal scenario is that he re-signs with the tiges for a year and we get him as a UFA next year for nothing. tigers would probably end up getting a better pick this way also. we're trying to rebuild over here not run a shelter.
Bakes is great. You're gonna love him.

I wish he was staying at the Tigers.

(yes I'm 100% serious).

Victorian fans, particularly 'big Victorian club' fans, are used to having smoke blown up their ass by the media. If an uncontracted utility who has nominated a club wants out, the non-Victorian club is expected to pony up some real capital or he should go to the other non-Victorian club in that state. Now, if the roles are reversed, we have to honour the player's wishes, get him to the club of choice, he's uncontracted so not worth much etc.

Baker's worth a late first round pick, the fact he's uncontracted would usually mean we could offer 23 and say that's all you get cause that's all we have.

Unfortunately, a lot of non-Victorian clubs, including mine, have coughed up in the past to lend this narrative some credence. Time to nip it in the bud though.

No one is holding a gun to West Coasts head to trade him in with pick 13 I'm pretty sure it's up to them. :$

I wish he was staying at the Tigers.

(yes I'm 100% serious).
A player like Baker will make your long rebuild a lot lass painful.

Remember Rd 24 against the Cats? That's your future for a few years to come yet.

Don't get carried away by Harley carrying you to a few wins last year. Eagles are bottom 4 material for a long time to come.

No one is holding a gun to West Coasts head to trade him in with pick 13 I'm pretty sure it's up to them. :$
Yep, it’s the list manager and the coach driving this.
Richmond offered him a deal (and there were talks of the captaincy) but he decided to leave to West Coast and accept their 5 year deal on big money.

No one forced West Coasts interest or offer to Baker.
They seem to genuinely value him as a player and strong contributor to the football club over the long term.

Yep, it’s the list manager and the coach driving this.
Richmond offered him a deal (and there were talks of the captaincy) but he decided to leave to West Coast and accept their 5 year deal on big money.

No one forced West Coasts interest or offer to Baker.
They seem to genuinely value him as a player and strong contributor to the football club over the long term.
Smart people there in charge at WC.

Unlike the members of their BF board.....

A player like Baker will make your long rebuild a lot lass painful.

Remember Rd 24 against the Cats? That's your future for a few years to come yet.

Don't get carried away by Harley carrying you to a few wins last year. Eagles are bottom 4 material for a long time to come.
Sorry to quote your post as your a Richmond supporter just like me, but the bolded part is why I don't get the whole Baker to West Coast thing. If he's to make their rebuild a lot less painful then surely we give him a good contract to help our own rebuild. West Coast and us are in very similar positions, maybe they're ahead of our rebuild by a year or two but it's not much ahead.

We all know West Coast have to give up good draft capital to get him, why don't they just hit the draft instead. If I were a West Coast supporter that's what I'd want.

Sorry to quote your post as your a Richmond supporter just like me, but the bolded part is why I don't get the whole Baker to West Coast thing. If he's to make their rebuild a lot less painful then surely we give him a good contract to help our own rebuild. West Coast and us are in very similar positions, maybe they're ahead of our rebuild by a year or two but it's not much ahead.

We all know West Coast have to give up good draft capital to get him, why don't they just hit the draft instead. If I were a West Coast supporter that's what I'd want.
Clubs in a rebuild need to be ruthless. The draft alone isn't enough to become a premiership contender any more, being as compromised as it is. Richmond is doing that by trying to extract maximum draft picks for departing players. But the Eagles need to realise they are in fairly unfamiliar territory and have to be more ruthless. We need to keep our pointy end picks. Offer a second round pick for an uncontracted player, if Richmond refuse the deal, go into the PSD with a price on his head, if Richmond redraft him, well, they have an unhappy player for a year and we did all we could.

That said, Eagles have clearly been in his ear all year, we tend to do what's necessary to get people we want over. Hope it doesn't bite us in the ass. No point having some handy role players if we don't have the stars for them to play a role alongside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back