Confirmed Liam Baker - Now a West Coast Eagle

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

I'd still put McLeod for Groom and Hodge for a couple years of Croad as worse than this.
Croad trade also involved McPharlin. It only looked worse when hawks managed to land Mitchell with pick 36.

McLeod was a shocker but he didn’t want to leave Adelaide anyway so not sure he becomes the same player at Freo.

Lachie Neale for Boumann was a good one from the Hawks. Weller for Brayshaw another. Worst one ever is Stephen O’Reilly for blowing the lid on salary cap breeches and costing Carlton 5 spoons.

Depends where Melbourne grouped the players though. It's an awful lot to pay for a 2 pick upgrade unless there is a guy there you really want.

I don't think 26 back would have been enough for Melbourne or Saints to get 2 top 10 picks off them.
then a swap of F1's should have been the option.

3+F1 for 7+8+F1

Don't feel like they have tried hard enough IMO.

Problem is also because they agreed to Tigers demand of pick 14 being the price for Baker and that became non-negotiable.

I am told Saints were offering pick 7 and a future 1st for 3. Doing that would have been a better deal and then trade 7 into this deal.

It's not just the picks they make it horrible, like, 12 and 14 is pretty bad for 3, its the spending half your top draft capital on a good roleplaying 27 year old and 28 year DFA. Its the whole package that makes it one of the worst bits of list management you'll ever see

End of the day though, WCE may have stuffed the values, but they will love Baker, he’s a ripper
If this deal goes through he will not be popular with fans I imagine

Feel for Baker (and Owies).
They will be on a hiding to nothing from WC fans.

Not because of what they output on the field, but their perception that what they gave up for them was too much.

Would have been a better fit for Freo as they are in contention, but credit to West Coast for convincing him to come over and getting the deal done.

When guys like Warner and Pickett want to come to WA next year, their respective clubs and player managers will know the Eagles can get the deals done if they choose to go there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this deal goes through he will not be popular with fans I imagine
Not the players fault of course, but fan perception can be a funny thing

Not the players fault of course, but fan perception can be a funny thing
I agree. Tim Kelly has been better than most people give him credit for but that trade has certainly tarnished his perception.

If WCE can land Travaglia at 12, it will salvage the deal somewhat as he could end up being one of the best players in this draft. But why did they just want to flip 14 to Richmond for Baker?, why not split the pick with Sydney who were looking to trade up ie 14 for 19 & 22 and give 19 for Baker and then have 22 as well to take to the draft along with 12? It just seems like they got that fixated on Baker that all reasoning and common sense has gone by the wayside

Good trade 14 for Baker. Both clubs win (in the here and now)

But the pick 3 thing seems nuts.

WC seem to be very averse to doing a thorough rebuild. Baker is great for a club with kids and needing the right attitude and leadership. I wanted him to stay and be the Tigers next captain. But it still seems weird to trade out potential top end pick talent when you're stuck on the bottom.

If they draft well I can see WC doing alright in the long run, its just they'll need the riot gear out for their fans in the short term lol

I think Westcoast initially said no to 12+14 because they were hoping for a better option that would see them slide less. But given the evenness of the draft Dees (5&9) and Saints (7&8) weren't keen on trading 2 picks for one. Westcoast would have had to give something substantial along with 3 which they did not have. Leaving Carlton as the only trading partner.

I also think Baker would have been happy to go to freo if wc dragged out the deal. Wc worked over the weekend with his management to map out potential options. This would have been one. If wc didn't pull the trigger once the other possibilities had dried up I think Baker switches.

I don't think it's Owies that got the deal over the line. I think the timing is just coincidental so they've included him.

Surely the only more stupid one than WC if this is done would be Baker..............WC won't be competing in his time at WC with a 2024 non rebuilding draft, whilst Freo firmly heading into contention.

Surely someone pulls him aside and has a quiet word?

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Liam Baker - Now a West Coast Eagle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back