Confirmed Liam Baker - Now a West Coast Eagle

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

I think Westcoast initially said no to 12+14 because they were hoping for a better option that would see them slide less. But given the evenness of the draft Dees (5&9) and Saints (7&8) weren't keen on trading 2 picks for one. Westcoast would have had to give something substantial along with 3 which they did not have. Leaving Carlton as the only trading partner.

I also think Baker would have been happy to go to freo if wc dragged out the deal. Wc worked over the weekend with his management to map out potential options. This would have been one. If wc didn't pull the trigger once the other possibilities had dried up I think Baker switches.

I don't think it's Owies that got the deal over the line. I think the timing is just coincidental so they've included him.

Yet another situation where people aligned with a former club, influence trade value to the detriment of their new club.

Trading Baker to West Coast where Clarke and McQualter had just arrived, was never going to end well. They want the player, and they want to compensate Richmond who they still have ties with. I never thought they'd split 3 for Baker and friggin' Matt Owies though.

Tim Kelly trade looks fine in comparison. No Top 10 picks for a Top 5 Brownlow, All Australian, Runner up B+F.

Matt Clarke is going to be the most hated man in the West in a few short hours. Not a very auspicious start to his new career...with every fan likely wanting his head, along with the West and what it will publish.

Again, all this...for Liam Baker and a likely delist candidate in Matt Owies. Nothing bar GC trading history, will ever beat this.

Good luck Matt Clarke and McQualter, you guys are gonna need it.

Driving home from work last night, I first heard this proposed trade on the radio, I nearly drove off the road!

This is quite incredible. West Coast (last few years aside) are a really well run club and generally make good decisions. They're a club I have respect for but this is a dead set shocker. Just desperation.

Clearly they want to improve quickly and it reeks of certain internal stakeholders wanting immediate results to save their jobs and deflect pressure away from themselves.

I feel for McQualter - only a three-year contract, he should of demanded a minimum of five-years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robot Wtf GIF

when the things you said as jokes and just to wind up opposition supporters start happening in real life

I think Westcoast initially said no to 12+14 because they were hoping for a better option that would see them slide less. But given the evenness of the draft Dees (5&9) and Saints (7&8) weren't keen on trading 2 picks for one. Westcoast would have had to give something substantial along with 3 which they did not have. Leaving Carlton as the only trading partner.

I also think Baker would have been happy to go to freo if wc dragged out the deal. Wc worked over the weekend with his management to map out potential options. This would have been one. If wc didn't pull the trigger once the other possibilities had dried up I think Baker switches.

I don't think it's Owies that got the deal over the line. I think the timing is just coincidental so they've included him.
If Dees and Saints knocked back, that means Eagles did not add 26 to pick 3.

3+26 for 5+9 is fair and then 5 could have been turned to 12+14 and then 12 to 19+22

Hold 9,19,22

Now they have 12(19,22)+26

If Dees and Saints knocked back, that means Eagles did not add 26 to pick 3.

3+26 for 5+9 is fair and then 5 could have been turned to 12+14 and then 12 to 19+22

Hold 9,19,22

Now they have 12(19,22)+26

Depends where Melbourne grouped the players though. It's an awful lot to pay for a 2 pick upgrade unless there is a guy there you really want.

I don't think 26 back would have been enough for Melbourne or Saints to get 2 top 10 picks off them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Liam Baker - Now a West Coast Eagle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back