Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

No. FWIW, I wouldn't give up pick 6 for 3 either if I'm Richmond but I'm not giving up 3 for 9 or 10 if I'm West Coast. Go back two years and we split 2 for 8 and 12. There's your starting point.
I might be (well I am) a little dumb.

Isn't 2 for 8 & 12, almost exactly the same as 3 for 9 & 13?

*Edit......It's actually way better than what you guys did 2 years ago.

Current scenario is 3-23 & Baker, if we threw Baker & 9 for 3 instead then you end up with 9-13-23 & Baker, so effectively....

2 for 8 & 12 was ok, but 3 for 9 & 13 & Baker isn't?

Last edited:
This sent shivers down my spine as a Dimma-ism I heard one too many times, lol.

I'm going to put a lot of Tiges offside here, but I'm not as fussed as to what we get for Baker.

Am I shattered to lose him? Absolutely, and WC fans will see why very soon. He's one of those players that does the little/team things that don't result in a personal stat but result in a positive team outcome. And, it gets missed by oppo fans when they "rate" a player. I'm sure you could name me several "undervalued" WC players that don't get the credit they deserve, and you wouldn't swap if you had the choice. Well, that's Bakes.

He's also an outstanding citizen, and he completed his contract, so I do nothing but wish him well. And I look forward to watching him in the coming seasons. Nothing but love here.

Richmond (unlike clubs like Essendon and Geelong) have an excellent comp wide reputation for being great to deal with and for getting things done with a minimum of fuss. I expect that with Baker/WC. What that is? Who knows, but I won't be losing sleep over it. Let's hope both sets of fans are upset, because that means the price is about right.

But gee I hope we dig our heels in on Rioli and Bolton, because long term contracted players are a different kettle of fish. You tie up the main magnets on the board long term, and fill in around that. If those players then want to cut and run, there needs to be a price.

I basically agree with you here, shattered to lose Baker but that's the climate in footy today, we'll get what we get, should be swings and roundabouts with this sort of thing anyway.

And agreed on Rioli and Bolton, really prefer to lose Bolton out of the two but they're probably both gone anyway, hopefully we do well out of it.

Baker is a very good player but not a great player. We already have one of those guys as well, ironically also named Liam. Fact is, we wouldn't get a first for Duggan, as valuable as he would be to a premiership contender.
I wanted Duggan from day 1. Bastards.

Regarding this quote, that's the secret to building a good, very consistent team. No team can afford many "great" or A+ players, due to the salary cap constraints. Getting the largest spread of "very good but not a great" players is smart.

For rebuilding clubs like ours, players like Baker and Duggan are gold because they give a consistently high level of output with far less peaks and troughs than most.

Bolton though, for example, is the cherry on top player (for a contender). His best is flat out unbelievable, but there are many flat spots, and teams like ours just can't carry that (at a high trade price, if you already possess it, that's different)

I might be (well I am) a little dumb.

Isn't 2 for 8 & 12, almost exactly the same as 3 for 9 & 13?

*Edit......It's actually way better than what you guys did 2 years ago.

Current scenario is 3-23 & Baker, if we threw Baker & 9 for 3 instead then you end up with 9-13-23 & Baker, so effectively....

2 for 8 & 12 was ok, but 3 for 9 & 13 & Baker isn't?
We already hold 13 though so 9 + Baker is missing something because Baker isn't worth pick 12/13

I wanted Duggan from day 1. Bastards.

Regarding this quote, that's the secret to building a good, very consistent team. No team can afford many "great" or A+ players, due to the salary cap constraints. Getting the largest spread of "very good but not a great" players is smart.

For rebuilding clubs like ours, players like Baker and Duggan are gold because they give a consistently high level of output with far less peaks and troughs than most.

Bolton though, for example, is the cherry on top player (for a contender). His best is flat out unbelievable, but there are many flat spots, and teams like ours just can't carry that (at a high trade price, if you already possess it, that's different)
100%. But we should also be using picks 3, 13, F1 on kids who are likely to be a core part of our next premiership team. Baker is not that.

I agree with your comments on Bolton, which is why I hope we don't entertain that idea.

We already hold 13 though so 9 + Baker is missing something because Baker isn't worth pick 12/13
Okay.

It's been reported that 13 is on the table for Baker, so you don't actually hold that pick anymore. Your draft hand is now 3-23 & Baker. We can argue whether that's value or not all day long, but the simple fact of the matter is that 13 is gone.

I think what you guys did 2 years ago by splitting 2 for 8 & 12 was way unders, but it is what it is, and as you said, it's the starting point.

WCE:

2 for 8 & 12 two years ago.

3 for 10 & 13 & Baker this year, leaving you with 10-13-23 & Baker as opposed 3-23 & Baker.

Tigers:

1-6-9-10-13 currently

1-3-6-9 after trades

It's been reported that 13 is on the table for Baker, so you don't actually hold that pick anymore
That's not how things work and I think you know this

No inside info.. but assume Tigers get pick 16 from Freo as part of Shai Bolton deal..

Who says No?

Tigers
Get Pick 13, Hawks F1
Give Baker, Pick 16, Pick 29

Eagles
Get Baker, Pick 16, Pick 29
Give Barrass, Pick 23

Hawks
Get Barrass, Pick 23
Give Pick 13, F1

Would either team do:

3 and 13 for 6, 16 and Baker?

Assuming 6 and 16 are received via other trades.

Eagles keep a presence in picks. Tigers shuffle forwards.

Tigers will then likely have 1, 3, 9, 13, 21, 29

If Tiger just want 13 and let’s just assume they give 29 back

Tigers will have 1, 6, 9, 13, 16, 21

Okay.

It's been reported that 13 is on the table for Baker, so you don't actually hold that pick anymore. Your draft hand is now 3-23 & Baker. We can argue whether that's value or not all day long, but the simple fact of the matter is that 13 is gone.

I think what you guys did 2 years ago by splitting 2 for 8 & 12 was way unders, but it is what it is, and as you said, it's the starting point.

WCE:

2 for 8 & 12 two years ago.

3 for 10 & 13 & Baker this year, leaving you with 10-13-23 & Baker as opposed 3-23 & Baker.

Tigers:

1-6-9-10-13 currently

1-3-6-9 after trades

Has it been reported that 13 has been offered, or that reporters expect the eagles to offer it?

No inside info.. but assume Tigers get pick 16 from Freo as part of Shai Bolton deal..

Who says No?

Tigers
Get Pick 13, Hawks F1
Give Baker, Pick 16, Pick 29

Eagles
Get Baker, Pick 16, Pick 29
Give Barrass, Pick 23

Hawks
Get Barrass, Pick 23
Give Pick 13, F1
Looks reasonable on paper but I don't see us giving up 23 in this scenario. Swap it out for our F2 or take it out altogether and get your second from Richmond and it might have legs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back