Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Intelligent response as usual Cobbler.
When you can’t have a rational conversation, play the man.

Only 1 question for you.

1) Did you think his comments were directed at Nathan Broad specifically?

Or

2) Did you think his comments were indirectly aimed at everyone looking to leave?

1 or 2

So our prez praised a player that’s shown loyalty in a tough year where we finished last. To a supporter group and club that is disappointed in their performance and wanted some form of positivity.

And he didn’t mention anyone leaving. And no one by name.

Geez, what a clip.

I know some kids today are pretty sheltered but if you think that’s a clip, you have lived quite a nice coddly little life with mummy and daddy protecting you from the ‘big bad world’.

Baker wouldn’t have given a shit about the comment about Broad. It’s only the wallflowers out west who think it’s so heinous.
Mate its clearly a clip at all the blokes leaving, if you have any brain power at all just try to think about it a little bit.

I’m unsure how to respond when it’s bleeding obvious what he was INFERRING to.

If you wish to think his comments were very literal… well, like I said. Dumb.

Will it cost? Highly likely no, because I’m sure deals have been somewhat sorted in principle. Doesn’t alter the fact it was poor words, poor timing. There’s a thousand ways to project positivity in a speech.

Yet, he chooses to name a player staying when they could’ve gone home as his example? In a year when there’s a bunch of players seeking trades?? You don’t think it’s correlated???
Of course it’s correlated.
What do you want him to say to fans and the club staff he’s leading?

We had a shit year and three of our best 5 players this year are leaving? Of course not.

He tried to show an example of a player being loyal at a bad time, showing some little light of leadership in a team that’s lacking it.

To think that’s an attack on Baker and has any impact in West Coasts interests and what they will give for him after they have been pursuing him for the good part of 12 months is absurd. We all knew he was leaving and not coming back. The presidents comments don’t change this one bit.

I’m also not sure if Baker would have even thought his comments were about him and the others leaving TBH. Last night he’d had a few and seemed to be enjoying himself.

Only 1 question for you.

1) Did you think his comments were directed at Nathan Broad specifically?

Or

2) Did you think his comments were indirectly aimed at everyone looking to leave?

1 or 2

3 They were aimed at a club and supporter group who were extremely disappointed in the year. His aim was to show some form of positivity in a really shit year.

His speech wasn’t directed at Broad or Baker. It was to this broader group. That’s what they are intended for Cobbler.

Of course it’s correlated.
What do you want him to say to fans and the club staff he’s leading?

We had a shit year and three of our best 5 players this year are leaving? Of course not.

He tried to show an example of a player being loyal at a bad time, showing some little light of leadership in a team that’s lacking it.

To think that’s an attack on Baker and has any impact in West Coasts interests and what they will give for him after they have been pursuing him for the good part of 12 months is absurd. We all knew he was leaving and not coming back. The presidents comments don’t change this one bit.

I’m also not sure if Baker would have even thought his comments were about him and the others leaving TBH. Last night he’d had a few and seemed to be enjoying himself.

How about, and this is off the top of my head:

‘We look forward to bringing in some exciting young players in what has been described by many as a very talented draft. They’ll learn from our leaders like Broad and (insert other loyal names here if you must. I wouldn’t name anyone). Adam will continue to embed his style and collectively we will grow as a club and get us back to a position we’ve proven we can get to.’

Blah blah

3 They were aimed at a club and supporter group who were extremely disappointed in the year. His aim was to show some form of positivity in a really shit year.

His speech wasn’t directed at Broad or Baker. It was to this broader group. That’s what they are intended for Cobbler.

Broad as your positivity? HahahHhHha

I'm not sure they have so much 'chased' Baker this season though unless I missed some things along the way.

Unless you're talking about the fact they have chased him in the past, but if so srsly that is a moot point.

Until a few days ago the talk has more been about Baker CHOOSING between Freo and West Coast BECAUSE he wants to return home, has it not?

I'd understand if we were talking about Graham this season. It seems him we have targeted and chased as a free agent.

I’m actually not sure what your point is. Are suggesting that:

1. Baker nominated West Coast without having had any discussions with West Coast at all throughout the year; or

2. West Coast’s interest is only because he wanted to return home and if he didn’t they wouldn’t have reached out throughout the year?

If it’s 1, then no, that would not have happened.

If it’s 2, it doesn’t really matter how aggressive West Coast were throughout the year. It doesn’t change the fact that Baker has now nominated West Coast and a trade has to be facilitated for him to join the club. It may mean that West Coast are more prepared to walk away or that the PSD is a more likely option (both of which I would doubt), but as Twomey said, Baker’s camp wanted to know a trade could be facilitated before nominating either Freo or West Coast.

‘We look forward to bringing in some exciting young players in what has been described by many as a very talented draft. They’ll learn from our leaders like Broad and (insert other loyal names here if you must. I wouldn’t name anyone). Adam will continue to embed his style and collectively we will grow as a club and get us back to a position we’ve proven we can get to.’

Blah blah
Sounds disingenuous but I get the sentiment.

And perhaps that’s why it sounded so blunt and could have been misconstrued, because he didn’t want to be disingenuous. I’m not sure. The night lacked positivity and unity which was probably pretty symbolic of our season and position.

But I’m not sure why this is such a big thing for Eagles fans. Seems to have made quite an impression on them for some reason.

Personally I don’t think there is any issue with players OOC who leave. Baker and Graham have every right to leave.

It’s the ones that sign fat contracts then reneg when the going gets tough that raises the ire. Bolton and Rioli enjoyed the glory years then got rewarded handsomely only to turn their back on the club when things got tough. I think we all know that.

Sounds disingenuous but I get the sentiment.

And perhaps that’s why it sounded so blunt and could have been misconstrued, because he didn’t want to be disingenuous. I’m not sure. The night lacked positivity and unity which was probably pretty symbolic of our season and position.

But I’m not sure why this is such a big thing for Eagles fans. Seems to have made quite an impression on them for some reason.

Personally I don’t think there is any issue with players OOC who leave. Baker and Graham have every right to leave.

It’s the ones that sign fat contracts then reneg when the going gets tough that raises the ire. Bolton and Rioli enjoyed the glory years then got rewarded handsomely only to turn their back on the club when things got tough.
I think we all know that.
Yep

That was my take on it.

More about the highly paid contracted players rather than Graham and Baker.

Blah blah

Crosses off Bolton & Baker from the potential list of people who may be Cobbler

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clipping players who leave, especially premiership players, is minnow behaviour.
So we shouldn't celebrate the players like Broad who had significant offers on the table to leave, but decided to stay loyal, just incase we upset those that didnt?

Clubs, like players, need top move on fast and look at the positives, (not many for us) so why not praise Broad.

President 😉

Full sook by saying how lucky we are to have a player recommit like Broad did? 😂

The person that came off looking worse off last night was Liam Baker for his pathetic speech after everything the club has given him.

Now hand over that pick 13 thanks 👍
Full 180 from richmond supporters...what a surprise...not.
3rd incoming now, the flog board member that took a swipe would've been better to just STFU while 4 players are leaving and deals not finalized... amateur hour.

So we shouldn't celebrate the players like Broad who had significant offers on the table to leave, but decided to stay loyal, just incase we upset those that didnt?

Clubs, like players, need top move on fast and look at the positives, (not many for us) so why not praise Broad.
How do you know he had significant offers?

I’m actually not sure what your point is. Are suggesting that:

1. Baker nominated West Coast without having had any discussions with West Coast at all throughout the year; or

2. West Coast’s interest is only because he wanted to return home and if he didn’t they wouldn’t have reached out throughout the year?

If it’s 1, then no, that would not have happened.

If it’s 2, it doesn’t really matter how aggressive West Coast were throughout the year. It doesn’t change the fact that Baker has now nominated West Coast and a trade has to be facilitated for him to join the club. It may mean that West Coast are more prepared to walk away or that the PSD is a more likely option (both of which I would doubt), but as Twomey said, Baker’s camp wanted to know a trade could be facilitated before nominating either Freo or West Coast.

If I have to choose between your binary of how it took place well then for THIS year I would assume (although I have no idea apart from what I read here and the same news you read) that it is closer to your number 2 based on the fact he was being linked to Freo also.

If it was West Coast that solely coaxed him West rather than him wanting to come home then I assume the Freo talk would not have been in the air.

That said we both draw different conclusions about the HAVE TOs - but for me it goes both ways (rather than me changing my position if we are the team losing or gaining a player) - for example Hawthorn are free to walk away if West Coast play hardball on the Barrass trade.

If I have to choose between your binary of how it took place well then for THIS year I would assume (although I have no idea apart from what I read here and the same news you read) that it is closer to your number 2 based on the fact he was being linked to Freo also.

If it was West Coast that solely coaxed him West rather than him wanting to come home then I assume the Freo talk would not have been in the air.

That said we both draw different conclusions about the HAVE TOs - but for me it goes both ways (rather than me changing my position if we are the team losing or gaining a player) - for example Hawthorn are free to walk away if West Coast play hardball on the Barrass trade.
Bakers got no contract.

Full 180 from richmond supporters...what a surprise...not.
3rd incoming now, the flog board member that took a swipe would've been better to just STFU while 4 players are leaving and deals not finalized... amateur hour.
You sound like you’ve got your big boy pants on today Farang.

Yep I wouldn’t be surprised if the club bit your hand off to accept that offer. You better make that call on behalf of the West Coast Eagles footy club.

wrestling brawl GIF by WWE

Threads going as i expected 1 week out from trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back