Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

Given about half the parliament are republicans the oath is pretty irrelevant. Don’t they have to swear on a bible as well?
No they can just make a promise. Pinky swear I think.

(Or it has an official name. What do I know?)

She is an angry person.
I'd argue the hard right on the Senate hoping the make-up of the chamber changes at the next election and they end up with the balance of power represent a far more malignant danger. Imaging having to negotiate with Hanson again or Ralph Babet just to get legislation passed.

Do you have a practical idea to the solution other than “it’s their land, it’s stolen, give it back”?
This and other questions like this are specificity traps.

Non-experts like us won't have these plans - how could we? These sorts of frameworks and plans are the remit of legal experts and the people directly involved.

Any specific ideas we have would likely be the subject of more and more questions asking for specifics. Each of those specifics get picked apart as lacking.

My main thought on this is fairness. Justice.

The answer to these issues isn't to kick the can down the road, expecting our children and grand children to deal with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back