Lindsay Thomas dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media? He doesn't need any help making fans dislike him. Single-handedly moved North from 'disliked' to 'detested' for me.
Well Dwayne, Darcy and some other commentators making snark comments when Thomas is in possession or goes near it certainly doesn't help and it exaggerates the time he does drop the knees. You never hear the same amount of bitching about grimes, pupuolo and miles when they do the exact same. He's an easy target.

If North had another player going at the ball, winning contested possession and having no space to actually play the role he is the team for then Thomas would have a better output.

North's forward stoppage setup leaves too much to the ball winner and not enough blocking to a handball receiving/snapping goal kicker.

If North had another player going at the ball, winning contested possession and having no space to actually play the role he is the team for then Thomas would have a better output.

North's forward stoppage setup leaves too much to the ball winner and not enough blocking to a handball receiving/snapping goal kicker.
Don't be so kind, our forward pressure and stoppage set ups are shit.

Don't be so kind, our forward pressure and stoppage set ups are shit.
Eventually I think the AFL will run a short corner from hockey style stoppage pattern. Ball in won, is moved almost back to the fifty, across to a running half back who takes it at 45, runs in to steady and goals.

Lost it. Bit of wishful thinking there buddy, he'd be lucky to make the top 2 dozen small forwards in the game. Off the top of my head, Betts, Elliot, Walters, Ballantyne, Breust, Rioli, Harvey, Wingard, Zorko, LeCras, Cripps, Dahlhaus. Aside from kicking the odd goal he doesn't do a whole lot else, and half of his goals come from staged free kicks anyway, which is why his "form" has been down.

Cripps? :$

Thomas at his peak is twice the player. In fact, an out of form Thomas has kicked just as many goals as your beloved Cripps this season.

WA bias at its finest :rolleyes:

About time...has missed important goals this year. aka white and shultz.

Makes stupid decisions...usually low percentage stuff not doing the team thing.

Having said all that can be extremely dangerous...we have not seen it this year.

The bullshit has to stop with North Melbourne starting this week.

Yep, in 2012 at the height of his "yips".

Only played one game in the VFL, kicked 6.2, came straight back in, hasn't looked back...until now.

BTW methinks those who draw a connection between his loss of form and the rule change are ignoring that his kicking for goal has been getting steadily worse all season. 22.13 for the season doesn't look bad but when you look closer, it is padded by Joe the goose goals and the number of times he hasn't made the distance or kicked OOF with shots on goal he has been nailing in recent years.

I daresay his form is far more connected to that than the rule change.

I feel for you. It absolutely sucks the life out of you when the guys you rely on for kicking accuracy suddenly get the yips.

Just look at Jay Shultz and Tex Walker. I would have once rated both of these players the best goal kickers at their respective clubs, but neither of them could hit the backside of a barn this year.

Who is that North supporter that claims Thomas is holding the team back every time they lose a winnable game?

Says he runs into the space the taller guys should be using etc.

ThatsWright is the poster's name, I think. Thomas is the cause of all of North's woes according to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel for you. It absolutely sucks the life out of you when the guys you rely on for kicking accuracy suddenly get the yips.

Just look at Jay Shultz and Tex Walker. I would have once rated both of these players the best goal kickers at their respective clubs, but neither of them could hit the backside of a barn this year.

To Tex's credit, he did at least turn a 100 thrashing into a 77 point thrashing in round one by missing a bunch of sodas :oops:

Cripps? :$

Thomas at his peak is twice the player. In fact, an out of form Thomas has kicked just as many goals as your beloved Cripps this season.

WA bias at its finest :rolleyes:

Thomas's best is 53 goals in a season, which he did once, while being the leading goalkicker/best option up forward in the team, Cripps has only just turned 23, has 22 goals in 13 games while playing beside josh kennedy (48 goals), LeCras (24 goals) and Hill (22 goals). At the same age Thomas was averaging mid 20s goals a season without many, if any, dominant forwards.

Not to mention Cripps has the most pressure acts/tackles inside 50 of any forward this year, and averages twice as many tackles as Thomas a game. Clearly haven't seen much of Cripps if you think that, but it's understandable a richmond supporter making a comment like that.

To Tex's credit, he did at least turn a 100 thrashing into a 77 point thrashing in round one by missing a bunch of sodas :oops:

His kicking has been woeful all season. Most on the Adelaide board would rather not talk about it. Apparently making somebody captain makes them completely immune to any sort of criticism.

One dimensional enough to be droppable. Same reason I never rated Milne as highly as others.

That's unfair, nor correct.

His job is to play close to goal and kick 'em. He gets goals both through marks (pack marks and on the lead) and through reading the play (off a marking contest/ruck contest and yes, including through high tackles). Doesn't mind a joe the goose or three either. That's what his coach wants him to do.

Personally I would like to see him up the ground more, and also contest more centre bounces. He's an excellent field kick and has great vision. That side o the game gets under utilised because (a) we have Boomer to fulfil that role, and (b) we need him close to goals.

He's been dropped cos his form has gone to shit. No point at this stage throwing him into a different role just to stink it up there. He'll be back to his best soon enough, I have no doubt.

Has to shift his mindset from 'playing for free kicks' to 'attacking the ball'. he'll be fine if he does that..

To be fair, he hasn't shown a lot of evidence that he has been able to make the shift in the past.

Any coincidence that since the tightening of the ducking/shoulder shrugging rule that this cheating flog hasn't had a sniff?
As much as a coincidence as essendon becoming the worst team in the Afl since the rule came in. Maybe it was cheating karma that got them in the end. Good times.

I like how Lindsay Thomas looks like he's walking/running with thumbtacks in his boots, and always looks in pain or under duress, yet a dip in form is considered "just playing shit", while every other footballer who looks fit but isn't playing their best "must be carrying something" according to pundits and fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back