Lionel Ritchie croons the Pre-match Mega Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Pink Snubbed For Lionel Ritchie.

In all seriousness, lionel did a very, very good job. He should be applauded. Its the AFL that should be criticized for booking him, it just not a real suitable opening act.

Probably just extracting the urine or doing it to stay awake. After all, people were getting into Kamahl at the BDO a few years back too. Doesn't necessarily mean they were going to rush out and buy his back catalogue.

Doesn't matter if they do or don't. Fact is, Lionel got the crowd going and that's what he was paid to do. Pink would not have managed what Lionel managed because she doesn't appeal to a wide enough demographic. People over 30, by and large, aren't into her. If you look at the crowd break-down, there will be a lot more people over 30 than under. Most people over 35 know the words to all 4 of Lionel's songs. Therefore, good decision by the AFL - for once...

It amuses me that this has turned into a relevancy debate about Pink vs Lionel. It's not about that. Nobody can deny that Lionel rocked the crowd today. Doesn't matter if he is cheesy or old-fashioned, he got the crowd pumping.

In all seriousness, lionel did a very, very good job. He should be applauded. Its the AFL that should be criticized for booking him, it just not a real suitable opening act.
Out of interest, what makes an opening act "suitable"?

Why isn't he suitable? Has got the crowd absolutely frothing at the mouth, delivered his performance brilliantly and seemed to be enjoying himself.

It's not like the songs were funeral marches.

I didn't mind it, i'm not a massive fan by any means, but it was good to see a true professional who's been doing for years do his thing. Still looking forward to the day when they get the Dropkick Murphys. That'd get the crowd pumped and no mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of interest, what makes an opening act "suitable"?

Not an easy-listening music artist thats for sure :p I love Lionel as much as the next guy, and its a testament to his virtuosity as a performer that he pulled it off amazingly, but generally - that style of music doesn't work well live ;)

"It's decision time"

Really Dennis? A week to think and that's the best you came up with?

I thought he was just continuing the election analogy!

Did not think Lionel Richie's style of music would work as grand final entertainment, but he did a fantastic job and looked like he was enjoying himself!

Not an easy-listening music artist thats for sure :p I love Lionel as much as the next guy, and its a testament to his virtuosity as a performer that he pulled it off amazingly, but generally - that style of music doesn't work well live ;)

But it did work - today! Why talk in generalities just after a successful performance that you also acknowledge?

People need to relax, accept that Lionel did well and didn't crash and burn and be happy with that. After the wreckage of previous AFL pre-game entertainment, this was a triumph by comparison.

My pick for next year's pre-game:

The cast of Glee.
Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The AFL could be reading this board and you definitely don't want to be giving them ideas. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lionel Ritchie croons the Pre-match Mega Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back