Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

With trade period set to begin later in the week.
Who are we expecting to lose this year?
Heard Jade Ellinger made a strange comment making me think she might be moving on.

tm02k2kV.jpg

No Ellenger said with the success she hopes no one will move on so she would the last person to leave saying that

I remember reading there were 2 camps amongst girls previously, but after the players who moved on last season hope we have a more united crew this year. I think it's already showing with various players switching roles and sort of adapting and growing over the season.

Forgot to mention - I'm super pumped for Lily Postlethwaite. Must've been difficult with ACL and watching us win one in 2021 as well as doing ACL again. Finally some reward for all that perseverance for Lil Pos.

West Coast is hoping to tie up deals for Gold Coast's 2022 (season six) best and fairest winning midfielder Alison Drennan and Geelong defender Annabel Johnson,

but could lose emerging youngster Shanae Davison to premier Brisbane.

The Lions are set for a quieter Trade Period than in previous years, having suffered from recent expansion raids, but Mikayla Paugacould head to Greater Western Sydney after she played in last Sunday's Grand Final win.

In this article it says the Bulldogs have interested in her nothing about a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could imagine Pauga leaving to get more game time in future.

Couldn't really see Ellenger going, she seems very invested.

Basically zero chance she goes anywhere. Unless clubs can roll out godfather offers and someone has her as their #1 for some ungodly reason.

West Coast is hoping to tie up deals for Gold Coast's 2022 (season six) best and fairest winning midfielder Alison Drennan and Geelong defender Annabel Johnson,

but could lose emerging youngster Shanae Davison to premier Brisbane.

The Lions are set for a quieter Trade Period than in previous years, having suffered from recent expansion raids, but Mikayla Paugacould head to Greater Western Sydney after she played in last Sunday's Grand Final win.

Shanae Davison sounds a tad Irish....I am sure nothing compares to her but does anyone know of her? Tall or short...defender or forward etc,?

Reason being she is damn good. Fast wingers that run all day don't come around often.

She's one of my favourites, but is not a marquee player. A fantastic role player, yes. That said, she isn't at the same level as a Bates or Anderson.

164cm forward mid coming off an ACL from Broome....not quite Dublin.
Brisbane - Broome - Dublin, it's basically on the way, right?

I wonder how soon they'll have their end of season reviews. That time between the final and the draft seems a little rushed compared to the men. But I guess that tracks - shorter season, shorter shrift.

From the list at the start of the season, there's 20 players who I can't see us moving on. I'd have the following players as possibilities not to be on the list next year, purely based on circumstance, hints in the media and/or games played (or not played) this year.

• Caitlin Wendland - Got her chance but struggled to adapt to the pace of the game. A late convert to the game, so might get another shot and was an emergency for the GF.
  • Kate Lutkins - Only included here because of her age (will be 36 by the time the season starts next year) and the recent maternity break. She won't get pushed, if she goes it will be her call I'd assume.
  • Bella Smith - First year back after an ACL and broke through for a game in R9. Also listed as an emergency for all of the finals.
  • Luka Yoshida-Martin - Haven't been sold on her appearances so far. But with Miki and Zimmie possibly moving on there may still be a spot for her. Was rumoured to be close to a move last year, but haven't heard anything in that regard so far this year.
  • Brooke Sheridan - Was a top-up to replace Luka. Don't think she made the emergencies once this year, so would be long odds to stay on, although is only 18yo.
  • Zimmorlei Farquharson - strongly rumoured to be on the move to Footscray
  • Dee Heslop - Played plenty of games before her suspension and appears to do her role, but isn't exactly a damaging player. Does appear to have the favour of the coaches and given the propensity to shift the skipper into the midfield on occasion, would probably be pretty safe.
  • Jade Pregelj - Was probably signed purely as a backup for Lutsy, so it might depend on what happens there. The emergence of Boltz and Dunne late in the season make it a bit more unlikely.
  • Ella Smith - Played one game early on, then named emergency a few time before failing down the pecking order a little. Copped a groin injury which kept he out for most of the second half of the season.
  • Mikayla Pauga - Struggled earlier in the season before forcing her way into the side late. Recent rumours of a potential move to Western Sydney
  • Courtney Murphy - Unsighted, but the only pure ruck on the list. I've no idea how her transition back to footy is going. We may find out soon.
  • Kiara Hillier - Two year on the list with no games doesn't bode well, although was named emergency a few times.
  • Analea McKee - Will probably go around again given the lack of tall forwards and rucks on the list.

Very hard for an outsider to make any calls based on reserves form or their general professionalism. But if I was to guess, I'd have the following outs: Sheridan, Farquharson, Pregelj, Pauga, Hillier.

Some names out of our Academy to keep an eye on for the draft in a few weeks time:

• Sophie Peters (Maroochydore) - outside mid/wing
  • Evie Long* (Sandgate) - hybrid forward
  • Rania Crozier (Aspley) - tall forward
  • Lilu Hung* (Wilston Grange/Aspley) - tall forward
( marked * = nominated nationally)

Other names to look out for, especially at our first pick (based on nothing more than they've nominated nationally and could be a good fit:
  • Brooke Barwick (Tasmania) - inside mid
  • Georgia Clark (Tasmania) - tall forward
  • Cleo Buttifant (Giants Academy) - tall defender
  • Ella Slocombe (Claremont) - general mid
  • Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (Western Jets) - tall forward
It will be interesting to see what approach they take with the pick 12. You would have to think you go best available. Might also depend on whether we still have a nudge wink agreement with the Suns not to poach each other's Academy players, assuming they nominate the Queensland zone.

Also, keep an ear out for Tshinta Kendall who is a mature-age rugby 7's convert who I believe was playing as a top-up for our reserves this year at times.

I wonder how soon they'll have their end of season reviews. That time between the final and the draft seems a little rushed compared to the men. But I guess that tracks - shorter season, shorter shrift.

From the list at the start of the season, there's 20 players who I can't see us moving on. I'd have the following players as possibilities not to be on the list next year, purely based on circumstance, hints in the media and/or games played (or not played) this year.

• Caitlin Wendland - Got her chance but struggled to adapt to the pace of the game. A late convert to the game, so might get another shot and was an emergency for the GF.
  • Kate Lutkins - Only included here because of her age (will be 36 by the time the season starts next year) and the recent maternity break. She won't get pushed, if she goes it will be her call I'd assume.
  • Bella Smith - First year back after an ACL and broke through for a game in R9. Also listed as an emergency for all of the finals.
  • Luka Yoshida-Martin - Haven't been sold on her appearances so far. But with Miki and Zimmie possibly moving on there may still be a spot for her. Was rumoured to be close to a move last year, but haven't heard anything in that regard so far this year.
  • Brooke Sheridan - Was a top-up to replace Luka. Don't think she made the emergencies once this year, so would be long odds to stay on, although is only 18yo.
  • Zimmorlei Farquharson - strongly rumoured to be on the move to Footscray
  • Dee Heslop - Played plenty of games before her suspension and appears to do her role, but isn't exactly a damaging player. Does appear to have the favour of the coaches and given the propensity to shift the skipper into the midfield on occasion, would probably be pretty safe.
  • Jade Pregelj - Was probably signed purely as a backup for Lutsy, so it might depend on what happens there. The emergence of Boltz and Dunne late in the season make it a bit more unlikely.
  • Ella Smith - Played one game early on, then named emergency a few time before failing down the pecking order a little. Copped a groin injury which kept he out for most of the second half of the season.
  • Mikayla Pauga - Struggled earlier in the season before forcing her way into the side late. Recent rumours of a potential move to Western Sydney
  • Courtney Murphy - Unsighted, but the only pure ruck on the list. I've no idea how her transition back to footy is going. We may find out soon.
  • Kiara Hillier - Two year on the list with no games doesn't bode well, although was named emergency a few times.
  • Analea McKee - Will probably go around again given the lack of tall forwards and rucks on the list.

Very hard for an outsider to make any calls based on reserves form or their general professionalism. But if I was to guess, I'd have the following outs: Sheridan, Farquharson, Pregelj, Pauga, Hillier.

Some names out of our Academy to keep an eye on for the draft in a few weeks time:

• Sophie Peters (Maroochydore) - outside mid/wing
  • Evie Long* (Sandgate) - hybrid forward
  • Rania Crozier (Aspley) - tall forward
  • Lilu Hung* (Wilston Grange/Aspley) - tall forward
( marked * = nominated nationally)

Other names to look out for, especially at our first pick (based on nothing more than they've nominated nationally and could be a good fit:
  • Brooke Barwick (Tasmania) - inside mid
  • Georgia Clark (Tasmania) - tall forward
  • Cleo Buttifant (Giants Academy) - tall defender
  • Ella Slocombe (Claremont) - general mid
  • Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (Western Jets) - tall forward
It will be interesting to see what approach they take with the pick 12. You would have to think you go best available. Might also depend on whether we still have a nudge wink agreement with the Suns not to poach each other's Academy players, assuming they nominate the Queensland zone.

Also, keep an ear out for Tshinta Kendall who is a mature-age rugby 7's convert who I believe was playing as a top-up for our reserves this year at times.
Thanks for your thoughts on what are the fringe players.
We seem to find a player or two each year so let's hope that continues.

Unless we can get our hands on a highly rated player from another State, probably not much!
The list of players who've not nominated a particular state is quite large this year. We'd silly not to consider a good interstate talent. For the first time, I think live bidding will occur on academy girls, so the days of getting bargain at the back end of the draft is over. Our highest ranked girl Sophie Peters has nominated Qld, so can't be drafted by any other club (aside from Gold Coast) which means it's likely we'll have a free shot at #12..

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back