Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how soon they'll have their end of season reviews. That time between the final and the draft seems a little rushed compared to the men. But I guess that tracks - shorter season, shorter shrift.

From the list at the start of the season, there's 20 players who I can't see us moving on. I'd have the following players as possibilities not to be on the list next year, purely based on circumstance, hints in the media and/or games played (or not played) this year.

• Caitlin Wendland - Got her chance but struggled to adapt to the pace of the game. A late convert to the game, so might get another shot and was an emergency for the GF.
  • Kate Lutkins - Only included here because of her age (will be 36 by the time the season starts next year) and the recent maternity break. She won't get pushed, if she goes it will be her call I'd assume.
  • Bella Smith - First year back after an ACL and broke through for a game in R9. Also listed as an emergency for all of the finals.
  • Luka Yoshida-Martin - Haven't been sold on her appearances so far. But with Miki and Zimmie possibly moving on there may still be a spot for her. Was rumoured to be close to a move last year, but haven't heard anything in that regard so far this year.
  • Brooke Sheridan - Was a top-up to replace Luka. Don't think she made the emergencies once this year, so would be long odds to stay on, although is only 18yo.
  • Zimmorlei Farquharson - strongly rumoured to be on the move to Footscray
  • Dee Heslop - Played plenty of games before her suspension and appears to do her role, but isn't exactly a damaging player. Does appear to have the favour of the coaches and given the propensity to shift the skipper into the midfield on occasion, would probably be pretty safe.
  • Jade Pregelj - Was probably signed purely as a backup for Lutsy, so it might depend on what happens there. The emergence of Boltz and Dunne late in the season make it a bit more unlikely.
  • Ella Smith - Played one game early on, then named emergency a few time before failing down the pecking order a little. Copped a groin injury which kept he out for most of the second half of the season.
  • Mikayla Pauga - Struggled earlier in the season before forcing her way into the side late. Recent rumours of a potential move to Western Sydney
  • Courtney Murphy - Unsighted, but the only pure ruck on the list. I've no idea how her transition back to footy is going. We may find out soon.
  • Kiara Hillier - Two year on the list with no games doesn't bode well, although was named emergency a few times.
  • Analea McKee - Will probably go around again given the lack of tall forwards and rucks on the list.

Very hard for an outsider to make any calls based on reserves form or their general professionalism. But if I was to guess, I'd have the following outs: Sheridan, Farquharson, Pregelj, Pauga, Hillier.

Some names out of our Academy to keep an eye on for the draft in a few weeks time:

• Sophie Peters (Maroochydore) - outside mid/wing
  • Evie Long* (Sandgate) - hybrid forward
  • Rania Crozier (Aspley) - tall forward
  • Lilu Hung* (Wilston Grange/Aspley) - tall forward
( marked * = nominated nationally)

Other names to look out for, especially at our first pick (based on nothing more than they've nominated nationally and could be a good fit:
  • Brooke Barwick (Tasmania) - inside mid
  • Georgia Clark (Tasmania) - tall forward
  • Cleo Buttifant (Giants Academy) - tall defender
  • Ella Slocombe (Claremont) - general mid
  • Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (Western Jets) - tall forward
It will be interesting to see what approach they take with the pick 12. You would have to think you go best available. Might also depend on whether we still have a nudge wink agreement with the Suns not to poach each other's Academy players, assuming they nominate the Queensland zone.

Also, keep an ear out for Tshinta Kendall who is a mature-age rugby 7's convert who I believe was playing as a top-up for our reserves this year at times.
Good list analysis. I reckon most will go due to opportunities elsewhere or being delisted. Apart from Pregelji, Heslop and Lutkins. I thought that Yoshida Martin signed a 2 year deal last year, so she may stay if she thinks there's opportunities available to her next year.
Can't blame Pauga for moving on for more game time. Although she was picked for the last few games, her on ground time was low. When you only play 10 games a year, I reckon you would like to play as much as possible.

Last edited:

Jacqueline Yorston ex Lions Suns and Port player is apart of the mature age nominations for QLD. Could the Lions bring her back to the club? Coco Garton from the Lions academy nominate outside of QLD for the draft.

I believe that Sophie Peters is rated very highly by the Lions and we will be planning to pick her.

A tall forward in this draft would seem to be a must, and possibly another defender with some size, although Dunne’s development has probably happened faster than anticipated which brings some breathing space.

Potentially Sophie Peters could be in the team early because I could see that LilyPoss may move a little closer inside next season, she has a reasonable height and has great game sense. I imagine that we will also want to get Mullins developing her inside game as well so I can see she might have time on the wing and perhaps some brief appearances in the middle from next season. She is a very impressive player at a young age.

b&f.jpg

Best and Fairest – Top 10

Ally Anderson – 205
Isabel Dawes – 195
Orla O’Dwyer – 169
Nat Grider – 166
Dakota Davidson – 164
Breanna Koenen – 163
Courtney Hodder – 160
Sophie Conway – 158
Jade Ellenger – 155
Cathy Svarc – 154

Other Awards

Rising Star – Charlotte Mullins
All For One Award – Nat Grider
The Lionhearted Award – Lily Postlethwaite
Most Relentless – Courtney Hodder
Trademark Player – Belle Dawes
Youi Game Changer – Belle Dawes

Last edited:
Well deserved for Ally. In the absence of Bates, she really elevated her game this season and improved some areas which were previously weaknesses.

Dawes getting the recognition she deserves is great to see. A genuine A-grader now with much more to come. Mullins had an outstanding first season and very much has great things ahead of her. Posslethwaite season after so much injury shows a real resilience and a high level of trust from the club that she has got the goods to have a long career. Grider had a role change somewhat this season but she is absolute class and I still think in the top echelon of rebounding defenders.

She was on the inactive list all season.
Sorry Briz should have mentioned 2022. Last season I watched her at Arden St her last game for us I believe against Nth and was never selected again although passed fit later in the season.. No finals appearances may have upset her.

Last edited:
Sorry Britz should have mentioned 2022. Last season I watched her at Arden St her last game for us I believe against Nth and was never selected again although passed fit later in the season.. No finals appearances may have upset her.
That’s just part of footy and she needs to get over it if that’s the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we know of any players wanting to com to the Lions? Trade article the other day said Shanae Davison from West Coast could head to Brisbane.

Do we know of any players wanting to com to the Lions? Trade article the other day said Shanae Davison from West Coast could head to Brisbane.

If we retain the premiership winning core (looks like we will), we can be picky on whom we want to bring in.

A player like Jennifer Dunne showing up and taking on the defensive role has helped us in a big way. Now we have lot more flexibility around our selection process and where we want to build depth. Same with Charlotte Mullins debut, Lily Postlethwaite playing a full season and so on.

Last edited:
We are going to have a lot of draft picks and can’t possibly use them all.

I wonder if we might bundle some together to move up the draft order. Pick 12 and 20 might entice a club to give up a mid-top ten pick if we have someone in mind. Richmond gave up pick 9 for Collingwood’s 11 and 29, so a pick 6,7, 8 might be in the range.

I am not sure what the special sauce was that applied to the compensation pics re Molloy-11, Bates-12 and Bodey-32. Molloy was traded coming off an injury cloud and Bates had won the league medal the year before her trade year. Bodey was the highest goal kicking non key forward in the league. You could mount a convincing argument on statistical output that Molloy and Bodey were the more comparable pair.

I am not sure what the special sauce was that applied to the compensation pics re Molloy-11, Bates-12 and Bodey-32. Molloy was traded coming off an injury cloud and Bates had won the league medal the year before her trade year. Bodey was the highest goal kicking non key forward in the league. You could mount a convincing argument on statistical output that Molloy and Bodey were the more comparable pair.

Age?

Molloy played for a Victorian club though.

I am not sure what the special sauce was that applied to the compensation pics re Molloy-11, Bates-12 and Bodey-32. Molloy was traded coming off an injury cloud and Bates had won the league medal the year before her trade year.

To hazard a guess, they were both assessed as “band 1” compensation (which seems to be the middle of the first round) and Collingwood being the lower ranked team got the higher pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back