Lions of 2003 v Bombers of 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon for sure i may be an essendon supporter but the way essendon played as a team in 2000 seemed unstoppable. Lions of course were very good in 2003 but i think essendons team in 2000 would have been to strong. lol i think essendons 2000 team against carlton 1995 would have been awesome to see but i think the dons would have win that 2.

mark_johnson#1 said:
lions of 2002 were a better side than lions of 2003 IMO
but neither of the 3 brisbane teams would of beaten essendon of 2000
but brisbane have the record of 3 premierships which means they sustained their dominance longer
but essendon of 2000 was a much better side

Hardwick...........Fletcher............M Johnson
Solomon...........Wallis...............Wellman
Long................Misiti................Blumfield
Hird ................Lucas...............Mercuri
Ramanauskas ....Lloyd...............Caracella
Barnes............J Johnson...........Heffernan

Alessio......Barnard.....Moorcroft....Bewick

plus a few others
agreed, essendon were a clear level above every side and that year were untouchable they only lost 1 game by a point and they were hardly matched all year, Essendon by a mile for me

Shibby_Dons said:
Essendon for sure i may be an essendon supporter but the way essendon played as a team in 2000 seemed unstoppable. Lions of course were very good in 2003 but i think essendons team in 2000 would have been to strong. lol i think essendons 2000 team against carlton 1995 would have been awesome to see but i think the dons would have win that 2.

Considering the bombers lost to a 'weaker' carlton in '99 and a 'weaker' Brisbane in 2001 that is a very long call

BERT said:
Theres no pressure in finals.

Where were there easy games?

A night game against Carlton had 90,000 there. Biggest H&A game for the year. Scores were close at 3/4 time and yet the Bombers won but there was no pressure in that game.

How can you say the only loss they had for the year proves that they couldn't handle pressure?

Also consider your luck that game - it was close at 3/4 time despite not having a full bench with an in-form Kouta injuried and Bradley not playing. I think we had some other injuries too. ;)

Huge game though. Hopefully there will be many more this decade. ********ing Melbourne - the 2000 GF would've been so much better with us in it, let me tell you.

Thrawn said:
Also consider your luck that game - it was close at 3/4 time despite not having a full bench with an in-form Kouta injuried and Bradley not playing. I think we had some other injuries too. ;)

Huge game though. Hopefully there will be many more this decade. ********ing Melbourne - the 2000 GF would've been so much better with us in it, let me tell you.
yes, it would have been more satisfying (and a damn sight more nerve-wracking!) I guess, but I can always relive the memories of 93 whilst you lot carry on about 99.
;)

Thrawn said:
Yeah and? We beat you with ease at the start of the year, chances were we would have done it again.

SydneyBomber said:
yes, it would have been more satisfying (and a damn sight more nerve-wracking!) I guess, but I can always relive the memories of 93 whilst you lot carry on about 99.
;)
More amusingly, I reckon I got more stick about 99 off other teams supporters than the filth. Rather odd.

Thrawn said:
Not really, considering the circumstances in Round 20. Huge game though. Hopefully there will be many more this decade. ********ing Melbourne - the 2000 GF would've been so much better with us in it, let me tell you.

Why would it have been better with you in it? We played you in the PF the week before and won easing up, by 45 points. The margin was out to over 10 goals during the last quarter, in which Lloyd, Hird and Rioli were all on the bench.

Kouta is worth a lot to your side, but not 10 goals. Hird also had a shocker on PF day after the news earlier in the day that his kid was very sick. In fact he almost pulled ouy. Our best player was almost non-existant. Not that it made any difference to the thrashing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fact the only team I could see rivalling Essendon of 2000 was the West Coast Eagles in the first half of the 1991 season.

Teams like Brisbane in 2003 were just normal premiership sides. Nothing special at all by flag standards. The West Coast side of 1991 (who eventaully lost the Grand Final, ironically) was as close to unbeatable as a side has been in the modern era, particualry in the first half of the season. Their percentage after 22 rounds was 162% and it was up over 180% for much of the year. The Eagles were just amazing that year, and at their best they are the only team I can think of that would have given Essendon of 2000 a run for their money.

It's amazing how some clubs produce teams that don't win flags who are better than teams that do. Brisbane of 2004 was better than Brisbane of 2003. West Coast of 1991 were better than West Coast of 1992. Kangaroos of 1998 were better than Kangaroos of 1999. Essendon of 1999 were better than Essendon of 1993 etc etc.

Dan26 said:
Why would it have been better with you in it?

Because Carlton 2000 were a better side than Melbourne 2000. Admit it Dan, the margin would've been closer had we played you guys. Most Essendon fans I have spoken to admit that.

We played you in the PF the week before and won easing up, by 45 points. The margin was out to over 10 goals during the last quarter, in which Lloyd, Hird and Rioli were all on the bench.

Why must you assume that all the events of one game must happen in another?

Kouta is worth a lot to your side, but not 10 goals. Hird also had a shocker on PF day after the news earlier in the day that his kid was very sick. In fact he almost pulled ouy. Our best player was almost non-existant. Not that it made any difference to the thrashing.

*shrugs* We're only playing with hypotheticals here, but I'd wager that a weeks break would've been of great benefit to us. Still, your case would be just as plausible as mne so I guess there is no point.

Still reckon it would've been a lot better (and you a lot more nervous)...

Thrawn said:
Because Carlton 2000 were a better side than Melbourne 2000. Admit it Dan, the margin would've been closer had we played you guys. Most Essendon fans I have spoken to admit that

Of course you were better than Melbourne. Miles better. But you weren't playing better than them up to and including the finals. Up until the Grand Final, Melbourne had won 10 of its last 11 games, and were primed and ready to give Essendon as good as contest as Carlton.

Interesting to note that the margin in both games (the GF and PF) got out to over 10 goals, but Essendon rested Hird and Lloyd in the last quarter of the PF. If it was a Grand Final, obviously they wouldn't have been rested and the margin probably would have stayed at 10 goals, rather than Carlton reducing it from 60 to 45.

Thrawn said:
Why must you assume that all the events of one game must happen in another?

So your assumption is it won't? Look, Essendon won the PF by 45 points, easing up after it got out to 10 goals. Why logically would it have been any different if they met 7 days later? You're right it might have been different. Essendon might have won by more. It's reasonable to assume it would have been roughly about the same, however.

Thrawn said:
Still reckon it would've been a lot better (and you a lot more nervous)...

I was more nevous in the PF. A Preliminary Final is just as tense as a Grand Final. Your season is still on the line. The fear of losing is what creates tension, and losing a PF or a GF produces the same result - a failed season. We played the Blues, won easily, and eased up in doing so. The three victories we had over Carton produced ever increasing margins (24,26,45)

Melbourne may not have been as good as Carlton, but at their peak form, (where they won 10 of 11) they were as good, and this was the form they had at the time you need to have it. They had momentum and momentum is hard to stop. Carlton had no momentum in the finals. They had lost three of their last 4 going into the Qualifying final (which became 4 of 5 after that game.) Melbourne were in better form at the time and were equally as hard to beat as Carlton for the Bombers. At that time.

Pessimistic said:
After having witnessed huge wins for most of 2000 essendon fans felt overwhelming relief at actually winning the flag and trook a very long time to overcome a very ordinary melbourne. It took a cameo from Barnard and Hird's influence to get over the line.

Are you on drugs? There was never any doubt from the opening bounce.

Bombers were shoe-ins. It was a predictable outcome all year regardless of who they played.
In my unbiassed view as a Bulldogs fan:
Bombers of 2000 = best side ever

Thrawn said:

It was the only game in Melb I missed that year. Brothers Deb.

You are right. It was close till Kouta got hurt. That injury stuffed your season and cost you a Grand final birth.

Still don't think you would have won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions of 2003 v Bombers of 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back