LIONS ONLY POLL - Replacing the logo on our home jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's no different.

Technically Lynch was caught using drugs. But to get out of it, the Lions found a loophole. That is similar to a contact you're describing. When you play sport, you are binded ethically not to take drugs.
Loopholes are there to be used. Without loopholes, we wouldn't have had 3 flags. So again, how is it shameless?

Imbecile

I am so upset about the mere thought of our heritage being tainted by any change to the Lion on our jumper that I have not been able to post.

In my past life as an activist we learned that to get the Media interested is the best way to help your cause.

With this in mind I visited the dreaded Courier Mail website. There is a Poll in the AFL page asking to vote on the new Logo. So far about 65% dont like it.
I suggest a concerted effort to vote, and maybe a message to Andrew H to have a look at Bigfooty website. Get on Facebook and Twitter, gather momentum.

VOTE NO NOW

Having worked in printing & with commercial sewing machines I can tell you with confidence, it's a crock of shit. I immediately thought the Lion itself because of the lines on it, it requires the most work (which is all automated) as far as start/stop points in stitching the Lion onto material. The difference isn't worth mentioning though, so the fact that he has raised an eyebrow immediately.

I think we are getting caught in some semantics here.

I can understand the thinking that the "logo" will be easier to work with than the old one. When I say logo, I am referring to the one with the gradient and the text Brisbane Lions. That would be a right pain in the you-know-where to embroider onto t-shirts and the like, compared to the more simplistic logo they have replaced it with.
brisbanelions-logo.jpg

The Lion on the jumper, however, is a different matter. There's no NEED to change that one.

I sent my e-mail to Bowers yesterday and I was thinking that it would be great for him to have a very full inbox when he gets to work tomorrow or next checks his e-mail.

If you haven't done so already, please e-mail MBowers@lions.com.au and let him know what you think of any change to the current Home and Away jumpers.

Go Lions!

P.S. - If there is a change in the jumpers, these are some of the things I will be doing in response.

1. Refusing to take out Victorian Family Membership
2. Refusing to purchase any merchandise
3. No longer flying to Brisbane to attend games
4. Not supporting club fundraising activities

Bowers says that he wants people to look into the eyes the new lion logo and feel fear. Maybe he isn't aware that people already relate our current and historical lion logo with the greatest team of all time. There is nothing better that represents the notion of winning, pride and our heritage than the Fitzroy lion. Also, there is no other lion emblem like ours in the world. Whoever designed this new Lion has obviously looked about at other lion emblems as a basis in creating this one. There is nothing original about it. The only feeling people are going to get looking at this new lion logo (and especially if it hijacks our guernsey) is the itch to lick and consume it before the sun melts it away.

Personally, I view our lion as the visual representation of our team name. Instead of having Brisbane Lions written on the jumper you have our lion - it is one step away from changing our name. Emblems and logos hold more value and meaning than what Bowers apparently sees. I am even too afraid to tell my dad that they are changing it as he is going to be hugely disappointed - it already took 3.5 years to get him to accept the merger and now this.

To sum it up - the new lion is shit. No comparison. Looks like some people got bored and wanted something to do - like when Britney shaved her head...that wasn't just boredom that made her do that...

Gosh this off season just won't quieten down. From the comings & goings & controversies of Trade Week to the Bradshaw saga. Now with the logo. Let's hope we can get a decent resolution from this one.

What is next in store to debate, pontificate over ? Maybe the AFL fixture ? Maybe more surprises to come in the ND & PSD ?

Just hope it's not a Fevola incident over the holiday period.

I just can't wait to focus on pure on field football matters...like getting excited at our new recruits being unveiled on 10th of November.

This just does your head in all of this stuff.

Footy is certainly a year round pre occupation for us now.

I sent my e-mail to Bowers yesterday and I was thinking that it would be great for him to have a very full inbox when he gets to work tomorrow or next checks his e-mail.

If you haven't done so already, please e-mail MBowers@lions.com.au and let him know what you think of any change to the current Home and Away jumpers.

Go Lions!

P.S. - If there is a change in the jumpers, these are some of the things I will be doing in response.

1. Refusing to take out Victorian Family Membership
2. Refusing to purchase any merchandise
3. No longer flying to Brisbane to attend games
4. Not supporting club fundraising activities

Unloyal. Just because they change the jumper. geez mate, if your gonna be like that go support someone like fremantle. They are still the same team we love, and they are still the Brisbane Lions and if you gonna have a sook over a jumper change, grow a pair.:thumbsu:

It really amazes me how a jumper change which will will grow on eventually can have this sort of affect on people.

Unloyal. Just because they change the jumper. geez mate, if your gonna be like that go support someone like fremantle. They are still the same team we love, and they are still the Brisbane Lions and if you gonna have a sook over a jumper change, grow a pair.:thumbsu:

It really amazes me how a jumper change which will will grow on eventually can have this sort of affect on people.
Where is the loyality to us members? Where is the loyality to the merger agreement?
I have emailed Bowers, and I will continue to do so... as well as call... I'll be a pain in the arse to Brisbane if I have to be to stop the change.
And for sure, I'll put it out there, Im willing to put my membership dollars on the line... whats the point of being a member if your say doesnt count for a sack of crap?

Unloyal. Just because they change the jumper.

3KZ is hardly being "unloyal" (sic). He is loyal to the identity that he follows that is currently embodied by the Brisbane Lions, and most significantly and tangibly represented by the traditional emblem of the Lion.

The fact that 3KZ says that he has paid for family membership, purchased merchandise and been a part of fund raising events suggest that he is indeed a loyal and committed supporter. It is hardly as if people like himself are taking the matter lightly. Unlike some people on here, he has at least put his money where his mouth is, and is therefore entitled to his current passionate opinion.

Where is the loyalty from the club towards the supporters and the merger agreement? I would not have supported the club in the first place if I had thought they might eventually screw Fitzroy supporters over by contravening the merger agreement even if only in spirit. The thousands of dollars that I have spent on the Lions over the last 13 years is a testament to my loyalty and trust in them.

To be honest, I am in much the same frame of mind as 3KZ at the moment.

geez mate, if your gonna be like that go support someone like fremantle. They are still the same team we love, and they are still the Brisbane Lions and if you gonna have a sook over a jumper change, grow a pair.:thumbsu:

Unnecessary. Does it honestly make you feel good to post this sort of rubbish?

Maybe you are wrong in anticipating that a jumper change will grow on people. If the traditional Lions goes, it certainly won't grow on me. Indications are that it will not grow on most people.

Have voted NO in the CM poll.......c'mon people get to it and vote!...We really have to get things happening before it is too late..

Round up individual family + friends, get them emailing the club, ringing radio etc..

Never lose sight of the fact that, while the "powers that be" of the club run the show, they do so on our behalf basically...without supporters there is no club..

We usually are happy to sit back and let them get on with it, and normally they have done a fantastic job, which is why our club is so strong..

but now they are stuffing things up bigtime!...We cannot let it happen...THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO SIT BACK!!...

They need to "hear our mighty ROAR"

3KZ is hardly being "unloyal" (sic). He is loyal to the identity that he follows that is currently embodied by the Brisbane Lions, and most significantly and tangibly represented by the traditional emblem of the Lion.

The fact that 3KZ says that he has paid for family membership, purchased merchandise and been a part of fund raising events suggest that he is indeed a loyal and committed supporter. It is hardly as if people like himself are taking the matter lightly. Unlike some people on here, he has at least put his money where his mouth is, and is therefore entitled to his current passionate opinion.

Where is the loyalty from the club towards the supporters and the merger agreement? I would not have supported the club in the first place if I had thought they might eventually screw Fitzroy supporters over by contravening the merger agreement even if only in spirit. The thousands of dollars that I have spent on the Lions over the last 13 years is a testament to my loyalty and trust in them.

To be honest, I am in much the same frame of mind as 3KZ at the moment.

Unnecessary. Does it honestly make you feel good to post this sort of rubbish?

Maybe you are wrong in anticipating that a jumper change will grow on people. If the traditional Lions goes, it certainly won't grow on me. Indications are that it will not grow on most people.

It will. It will. and with 3KZ, if he is willing to give up the Brisbane Lions football Club because of this, im guessing thats pretty unloyal. I agree its traditional, but things change, we are no longer Fitzroy or Brisbane Bears, we are Brisbane Lions. This will appeal to the ounger generation bringing more members for years to come. I know you don't agree, but it will be a change for the better. Although i do feel stongly about letting that lion go, but I don't belive it will be gone, it'll still be on that jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have voted NO in the CM poll.......c'mon people get to it and vote!...We really have to get things happening before it is too late..

Round up individual family + friends, get them emailing the club, ringing radio etc..

Never lose sight of the fact that, while the "powers that be" of the club run the show, they do so on our behalf basically...without supporters there is no club..

We usually are happy to sit back and let them get on with it, and normally they have done a fantastic job, which is why our club is so strong..

but now they are stuffing things up bigtime!...We cannot let it happen...THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO SIT BACK!!...

They need to "hear our mighty ROAR"
Well said! I fully agree!

I never oppose the club on anything, but this is an exception... and a big one at that!

I have a facebook group opposing it running here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=171819519864&ref=mf

Also as MacMum said, email EVERYONE... radio stations, the club... the AFL... whatever it takes!

We are the proudest club in the land, our supporters have gone through tougher times then anyone else, and we have been rewarded with seeing a once in a lifetime achievement... we have a short but proud history since the marriage of the Bears and Fitzroy. Dont let our clubs administration underestimate us!

The poll on the Courier Mail website is just about the logo, not the jumper.

We don't want to give the illusion that we are fundamentally against change no matter what.

Bowers just needs to realise what the limits are.

The poll on the Courier Mail website is just about the logo, not the jumper.

We don't want to give the illusion that we are fundamentally against change no matter what.

Bowers just needs to realise what the limits are.

Spot on. This is all about our jumper.

Although i do feel stongly about letting that lion go, but I don't belive it will be gone, it'll still be on that jumper.

I think most people are fine with having a new logo, but just not a change of the emblem on the jumper. I'd say that this sums me up as well, although I would like to see some of the merchandise still having the traditional Lion emblem on it.

Your previous post suggested that you were commenting on a jumper change as opposed to merely the logo.

I think most people are fine with having a new logo, but just not a change of the emblem on the jumper. I'd say that this sums me up as well, although I would like to see some of the merchandise still having the traditional Lion emblem on it.

Your previous post suggested that you were commenting on a jumper change as opposed to merely the logo.
Yeah, if it was just the logo, I could live with that... I dont particularly like the logo... but it wouldnt really matter, its the jumper I want to protect

I do see your point TBD, however I don't see how they can get the impression that we oppose change no matter what, simply because we have never risen as one, before on any issue in the past.

We have had issues, e.g. Aker, + recently Fev, but nothing like this..

Won't hurt them to know we don't really like the logo either..

Anyway, we can only try, and then wait for the outcome..

Who knows, if everyone does their bit, we just might save our jumper from extinction!

Alright this is how i feel about it.

Logo - needed changing. Other one looks shocking next to other clubs
Jumper - Not happy, but will love the lions no matter what they wear. The Lions will still feature on that jumper i believe. The New jumper will attract younger people.

If this is not a troll

a) you started supporting the lions the day you joined Big Footy

b) you are a t****r

The New jumper will attract younger people.

I don't think you can say it "will", but rather that it "may" (or merely that you "think it will"). I don't think it will, to be honest. I believe that this reasoning may be why such a move might be adopted, but I actually feel that it is a misplaced confidence in marketing techniques to win new supporters.

I'd suggest that there'd be an element amongst teenagers who would find the potential change to be too cartoonish for their liking and would therefore not want to be associated with something that would be deemed "soft" amongst their peer cohort.

We have also read many earlier comments on here from adults as to why they do not like the possible change.

I think that what attracts people to a particular club most is on-field success, followed closely by family and friend allegiances and geographical factors. In the case of family and friend allegiances, a lot of this is built on loyalty and on-going support of the tradition of a club. The fabric of this is being torn at by the the possible jumper change.

If the proper Lion isn't on it I don't give a shit if it glows in the dark & chimes the club song, it must be stopped. Either the supporters of this club are listened to or Bowers ends up giving hummers in the valley after the next AGM.

Could not have said it better. This is what I sent to Bowers -

Just thought I would let you know, in case my email to the club was not clear enough

If you change our glorious jumper I will not renew my membership.

yours sincerely

Anthony Waller

silver member no. 031706

I mean it. Time may heal the wound, but right now this is not the club I love.

Remove this Banner Ad

LIONS ONLY POLL - Replacing the logo on our home jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back