Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

INS - Copeland and Harding

OUTS - Adcock and Corrie

Emergencies - Attard, Allan, Pask

Patfull played very well against Port shutting down Chad Cornes. He was fairly quiet against the Dockers but I think that was partly because there was not much for him to do. With a few injuries, the Lions would be less likely to make changes because they are trying to keep the team stable at the moment.

I would be interested to see Patfull play on Clement to see if he can do a similar job to what he did on Cornes.

Collingwood

IN - Morrison, Richardson, Pendleburry, Prestigiacomo, Wakelin

OUT - Tarrant, R Shaw, Thomas, C Cloke, Davies

That's quite a lot. Can only be good for the Lions:thumbsu:

Grimreepah said:
That would be me:D

All I have been saying is that Collingwood have not really beaten any good sides this year. They have beaten:

Hawthorn (4,5)
Kangaroos (2,7)
Essendon (1,8)
Port Adelaide (3,6)
Carlton (2,7)
Geelong (3,6)
Bulldogs (5,4) - who admittedly are a good side but they have been decimated with injuries.

Collingwood have no doubt beaten sides very convincingly, but I don't know how much credit to give that until they come up against good sides. They may be the real deal, or they may just be looking good because of the anomaly of the draw. We will see.

Sorry to say this on your thread but i mean to say brisbane have only beaten Hawthorn, Port, Essendon & Fremantle... not much there either brisbane fans

beerbandit said:
Sorry to say this on your thread but i mean to say brisbane have only beaten Hawthorn, Port, Essendon & Fremantle... not much there either brisbane fans

Agreed. And I think you'll find we're not beating our chests about it either.

Grimreepah said:
Collingwood have no doubt beaten sides very convincingly, but I don't know how much credit to give that until they come up against good sides. They may be the real deal, or they may just be looking good because of the anomaly of the draw. We will see.

I want to prefix this by saying I'm not on here to stir, far from it as I've read this entire thread and I love good debate between supporters.

But as for the anomaly of the draw I'm sure you are talking about the lack of travel factor as opposed to who we had been drawn to play. Collingwood playing more games at the MCG was used as a bargaining tool to get rid of the "one prelim must be played there" rule (not that Collingwood are complaining certainly to our advantage but both the AFL and MCC know that Collingwood brings crowds which in turn brings money). But there is certainly validity to that.

If however it is who we have been drawn to play and in which order, I think people have to remember that we finished 14th and 15th respectively in the last two years. As of the start of this season, or more importantly when the draw was made, every team we play bar Carlton finished above Collingwood on the ladder the previous season.

WKB said:
I want to prefix this by saying I'm not on here to stir, far from it as I've read this entire thread and I love good debate between supporters.

But as for the anomaly of the draw I'm sure you are talking about the lack of travel factor as opposed to who we had been drawn to play. Collingwood playing more games at the MCG was used as a bargaining tool to get rid of the "one prelim must be played there" rule (not that Collingwood are complaining certainly to our advantage but both the AFL and MCC know that Collingwood brings crowds which in turn brings money). But there is certainly validity to that.

If however it is who we have been drawn to play and in which order, I think people have to remember that we finished 14th and 15th respectively in the last two years. As of the start of this season, or more importantly when the draw was made, every team we play bar Carlton finished above Collingwood on the ladder the previous season.

Good post WKB and most of what you say is spot on. I for one don't subscribe to the theory that the Pies 'haven't beaten any top sides.' I also don't think that there's any sort of conspiracy that have given the Pies a favourable draw. I think they are where they are by playing great footy...and it pains me to say it, but they are playing the sort of footy that I love to watch.

However...the bit in bold is not true IMO. First of all the 'one prelim at the MCG thing' wasn't a rule, it was part of a 30 year contract between the AFL and the MCC. And it wasn't overruled because of C'wood at all. It was a problem because it was completely unfair to sides outside of Melbourne who had finished high enough on the ladder to earn a right to play a home final. You could argue forever about how uneven the comp was because of salary cap concessions or less travel for some teams but you cannot argue against the fact that the deal stipulating that 1 final had to be played at the G was unfair to non-Melbourne sides that had earned the right to play a home final.

Anyway, don't think my usual footy-watching pub in Tokyo is showing the game this saturday which is really dissapointing but will at least get to listen to the radio maybe. And I can't bloody wait for it, will be a super match.

Snuka said:
However...the bit in bold is not true IMO. First of all the 'one prelim at the MCG thing' wasn't a rule, it was part of a 30 year contract between the AFL and the MCC. And it wasn't overruled because of C'wood at all. It was a problem because it was completely unfair to sides outside of Melbourne who had finished high enough on the ladder to earn a right to play a home final. You could argue forever about how uneven the comp was because of salary cap concessions or less travel for some teams but you cannot argue against the fact that the deal stipulating that 1 final had to be played at the G was unfair to non-Melbourne sides that had earned the right to play a home final.

No I think you mis-read what I was trying to say about that. I'm fully aware that 'the rule' was a signed contract that was between the AFL and MCC to have one prelim final at the MCG.

I am also firmly on the side of those who think that it was a stupid contract and unfair to those interstate sides who had earned a home preliminary final.

However that has now changed and the AFL certainly did use Collingwood as a bargaining tool. Offering to the MCC to have more Collingwood games (either home or away) at the MCG, by that fixturing us against teams at the MCG instead of Telstra Dome. As I said a couple of extra Collingwood games at the MCG would bring in money for the MCC that they may lose by not having a prelim there. The afl have an advantage knowing that even through the 90's when the onfield team didn't do much, the Collingwood supporters still turned up to games in big numbers. They couldn't have made this same deal with Richmond or Melbourne as they have slightly more fickle supporters (and that's not having a dig, it just happens to be the truth).

So anyway I wasn't saying Collingwood had any input into the MCC and AFL coming to a new agreement but it is known the club was used as a bargaining tool (which as I said Collingwood certainly wouldn't complain about playing more games at the MCG as opposed to Telstra Dome)

WKB said:
But as for the anomaly of the draw I'm sure you are talking about the lack of travel factor as opposed to who we had been drawn to play.

Nope. I'm talking about the fact that Collingwood have played mainly the bottom 8 sides at the moment, and at the end of the home and away season 5 of the 7 teams they play twice will be (IMO) bottom 8 sides. I'm not talking conspiracy theories here, because we didn't know who would and wouldn't be good sides when the draw was announced. It's just the way things have turned out.

The travel factor is a separate issue.

Vipertooth said:
Yeah strange seems we are going in as fav's

but then: TAB SPORTSBET: Collingwood $1.52, Brisbane $2.35

I still beleive we can win this game:D

GO LIONS:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
If I were a Collingwood supporter, I would hammer that. $1.52 against a side that was a wooden spoon contender not so long ago? Good value IMO, even without Tarrant. Put your money where your mouth is Pies supporters (and wind out the Lions odds a bit for me in the process;) )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

DT13 said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Are Collingwood supporters getting dumber?:eek:

Reading through a lot of footy forums not just BF, watching footy personalities (on TV) who follow the pies and engaging in conversation with Collingwood supporters. I have noticed their responses and actions are extremely emotional regarding Brisbane. Is it just possible that the Lions have done so much damage to these supporters, that it’s affecting their mental state? One individual I spoke to yesterday just ranted and raved until he practically blew a blood vessel. I told him to calm down and that it was just a game, reassuring him Collingwood will probably win on the weekend. But as the conversation went on, the same excuses presented themselves (you know the Collingwood ones we keep hearing), as the excuses started to mount, again so did the mental tempo with the increases in vocal decibels. I soon realised that this is it, that’s all they have in their lives, the Collingwood Football Club. Any major win would be taken as high euphoria and success in their lives achieved by them, any major failure would be equivalent to losing a loved one. The fact that Brisbane has hammered out so much misery to these poor souls is the reason for their erratic and disturbing behavioural responses.

We have seriously bitched slapped these people to the extent that we can’t possibly do any more damage!!

Or can we? :D

MickZu said:
Reading through a lot of footy forums not just BF, watching footy personalities (on TV) who follow the pies and engaging in conversation with Collingwood supporters. I have noticed their responses and actions are extremely emotional regarding Brisbane. Is it just possible that the Lions have done so much damage to these supporters, that it’s affecting their mental state? One individual I spoke to yesterday just ranted and raved until he practically blew a blood vessel. I told him to calm down and that it was just a game, reassuring him Collingwood will probably win on the weekend. But as the conversation went on, the same excuses presented themselves (you know the Collingwood ones we keep hearing), as the excuses started to mount, again so did the mental tempo with the increases in vocal decibels. I soon realised that this is it, that’s all they have in their lives, the Collingwood Football Club. Any major win would be taken as high euphoria and success in their lives achieved by them, any major failure would be equivalent to losing a loved one. The fact that Brisbane has hammered out so much misery to these poor souls is the reason for their erratic and disturbing behavioural responses.

We have seriously bitched slapped these people to the extent that we can’t possibly do any more damage!!

I reckon there's two categories of Collingwood supporters that have it in for Brisbane - those who are too young to remember the original Colliwobbles and those too stupid to remember anything earlier than 2002.

The rest realise that, as far as making Pies fans' lives miserable, we don't even rate with Essendon and co.

The Lions players are pumped this week and have a lot of belief. They really believe they will win this week from what I have seen at the club this week.

I am still tipping Collingwood, but with no degree of confidence.

MickZu said:

I bloody hope so.

I hope Collingwood supporters reading this dont take this the wrong way, but I would love to see us beat you on Saturday, I would enjoy that more than any other win this season. So sweet.

I'll wear a loss, but I feel we'll bring it to you at the least. It's one of those things, Lions thashing the pies in another humiliating capitulation is what footy is all about. It just makes sense and the world feels right, knowing that good can sometimes win.

But I want to emphasise that some of you pies supporters are AOK!

POBT said:
It would not surprise me to see Attard come into the side, either for Harding or Patfull...probably the latter, particularly if it is wet. Attard would be a natural match-up for Ben Johnson, Shaw or Lonie.

Is there rain forecast?

Do you think the fact that the Pies made 5 changes is a sign of panic? It seems rather odd to me, with a side that is going so well. I wonder if this is the first evidence of the scars they carry, that is they might be trying too hard to win.

Grimreepah said:
Is there rain forecast?

Do you think the fact that the Pies made 5 changes is a sign of panic? It seems rather odd to me, with a side that is going so well. I wonder if this is the first evidence of the scars they carry, that is they might be trying too hard to win.
Are you obsessed with Saturday night or something?

Grimreepah said:
Is there rain forecast?

Don't know about rain. Just think Attard is a better option - can't find a match up for Patfull.

I don't think it is panic....they are doing pretty well this year. When you look at the changes, 2 are regular defenders returning, 1 is enforced by suspension and 1 is a 1st year player straight swap.

I do think they are wary. No question, Brisbane were an easier target 4 weeks ago....in a way, Collingwood have lucked out playing us when we're in our best form for almost 12 months.

I am not confident this week, just because the Pies match up so well on our strengths. Our 3 pronged forward line is matched by their defenders. We have young and enthusiastic running players but so do they. Mobile, in-form ruckmen - check. Good in and under midfielders - check. Captain contributing in a different yet still meaningful way - check. The clubs are remarkably similar but Collingwood is 7-2 and we are 4-5 and it is at their home ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back