Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

NICK THE PIE MAN said:
The Lions players are pumped this week and have a lot of belief. They really believe they will win this week from what I have seen at the club this week.

I am still tipping Collingwood, but with no degree of confidence.

Good to hear our blokes have their spirits up. I'm really interested to see how our young fellas handle it.

Always good to see you thoughts and info Nick.

MACDAICOS said:
Are you obsessed with Saturday night or something?

Why all the changes macca? I would have thought it was logical to stick with a winning team. Looks like panic to me, but maybe you can shed some light on the issue.

It's a shame Thomas isn't playing. I was looking forward to seeing how the mop goes. I saw him on before the game and he looks like a very confident young man. Is he not the type to help break the stranglehold we have over you?

Good Luck

Good luck to Brisbane, I hope its a good game.

Pies are rightful favourites, and in very good form, but Brisbane have a core of very good quality players who have done us many times in the past.

Its a shame the stupid scheduling sees you guys travelling after a shorter break than your opponents. TV rules and its not pretty what they do to our game sometimes.

Rocca poses some tough questions for you to answer, and Didak has been very damaging. On your side there are plenty of players with points on the board: I see in the paper that Power has racked up a lot of Brownlow votes vs Pies so I'll be watching him. Of course I love to watch Aker, very pure footballer, but for the sake of our clubs chances I hope I don't see too much.

Bradshaw to me is a key: he doesn't have a great record vs us but he's a versatile and quite deadly forward. I think he's picked up Tarrant a few times(?), but that fellas not playing so hes freed up to do some damage.

I value any win over Brisbane, they are a hard skilled competitive side. If we get up people will say "its just another lowly scalp" but I will value it more than most this year. If Brisbane get up it will be in the face of the odds, injuries, old age, shaky form, some team disunity, a dodgy schedule and the weather. They are quite capable of it which says a lot for their quality.

WKB said:
No I think you mis-read what I was trying to say about that. I'm fully aware that 'the rule' was a signed contract that was between the AFL and MCC to have one prelim final at the MCG.

I am also firmly on the side of those who think that it was a stupid contract and unfair to those interstate sides who had earned a home preliminary final.

However that has now changed and the AFL certainly did use Collingwood as a bargaining tool. Offering to the MCC to have more Collingwood games (either home or away) at the MCG, by that fixturing us against teams at the MCG instead of Telstra Dome. As I said a couple of extra Collingwood games at the MCG would bring in money for the MCC that they may lose by not having a prelim there. The afl have an advantage knowing that even through the 90's when the onfield team didn't do much, the Collingwood supporters still turned up to games in big numbers. They couldn't have made this same deal with Richmond or Melbourne as they have slightly more fickle supporters (and that's not having a dig, it just happens to be the truth).

So anyway I wasn't saying Collingwood had any input into the MCC and AFL coming to a new agreement but it is known the club was used as a bargaining tool (which as I said Collingwood certainly wouldn't complain about playing more games at the MCG as opposed to Telstra Dome)

My mistake. I did misread it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did they run over the top of us? Maybe that altitude training at the start of the year is working for them.

A few of our young guys were not as good today. The experience will do them no end of good though.

Guy Richards was getting over the top of Charman in the 4th quarter. Probably first time he's been beaten, but it cost us dearly.

Overall I think both sides played pretty good, just they were better.

Vipertooth said:
I know its a bit early for this but i am going to go see this game for my birthday, and i am wondering that you guys thought. Can we beat the odds and win cause if we did, it would be like the best day ever! last time i went and saw lions vs coll we thrashed em and it was my birthday then too and i got to c the players after the game at luner park.

So tell me what you think...:)

Happy Birthday.

Grimreepah said:
How did they run over the top of us? Maybe that altitude training at the start of the year is working for them.

A few of our young guys were not as good today. The experience will do them no end of good though.

Guy Richards was getting over the top of Charman in the 4th quarter. Probably first time he's been beaten, but it cost us dearly.

Overall I think both sides played pretty good, just they were better.

Hiya Grim. I have kept out of the trash talk that you have been getting into with the Collingwood people. I dunno. I would love to have your ability to do that but it just ain't me.:)

I agree with what you have posted other than the altitude stuff. Not sure I know much about that type of thing. The young blokes where a touch overawed tonight. The old timers, other than Simon Black, where alright. I thought Vossy, Aka, Brown, Notting, McGrath where good. Bradshaw suffered from a style of game that did not suit him. Black worried me. He did not seem to come into the game as much as I would have liked. Maybe Power suffered as well. Of the younger players Roe for me was the best but even then was caught out by Buckley a few times. Agree about the experience though. It will do them the world of good.

Charmen is pivotal. He got beat late and that made life hard for us.

Indeed they where better but I am a bit more confident about the future. The next couple of years will be interesting. :thumbsu:

John said:
Hiya Grim. I have kept out of the trash talk that you have been getting into with the Collingwood people. I dunno. I would love to have your ability to do that but it just ain't me.:)

Don't force it John. Those that don't engage in trash talk tend to be better posters than those that do. I just can't help myself:D

The trick is not to take anything personally because some posters swing below the belt.

The Pies were a bit lucky though, especially in the final quarter. Buckley was given lots of space to mark. Brad Scott wasn't fast enough and he wasn't reading the play properly and Jason Roe just isn't experianced enough. Buckley was also lucky that Michael was tagging Rocca.

Brown had put in another good performance despite Presti's presence, McGrath was good but Bradshaw and Brennan were disappointing. Bradshaw did get enough ball supply and Brennan looked a bit panicky at times, which is strange because he's a usually freakish player.

Grimreepah said:
Don't force it John. Those that don't engage in trash talk tend to be better posters than those that do. I just can't help myself:D.

As a rule I try to avoid it too but I made an exception today;)

Having so much fun reading and replying to the nuf nufs got the better of me.:D

Grimreepah said:
The trick is not to take anything personally because some posters swing below the belt.

Only some?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back