Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

John said:
After reading some of the piffle by some Collingwood barrackers on another thread I suspect no one. They do not rate him one little bit. Hopefully Malthouse thinks that way as well. :D

The fact that Malthouse tried to lure Brown to Collingwood with a truck load of money suggests that he thinks Brown has some ability.

Grimreepah said:
The fact that Malthouse tried to lure Brown to Collingwood with a truck load of money suggests that he thinks Brown has some ability.

I agree. I was being sarcastic. If anyone really believes that Brown is a dud they are not worth talking footy to.

I would suggest that Malthouse will be giving some serious thought as to how his team should play Browny this weekend.

I have to admit Grimreepah that I think we are going to lose this one. I am not into the "who have you played" argument that a few of our supporters have put up. Winning ultimately breeds winning and Collingwood have been doing it well IMO. You can only beat who is next on the fixture list. I think that we need to be at our best, (thats obvious I guess) have the likes of Vossy and Luke going in hard as they do, Simon Black being at his "in and out" best and I think that we need to realise that the wins over the last few weeks have come due to direct kicking to the forwards. I believe we must kick to the forwards. Both Brown and Bradshaw win contested marks and Bradshaw gets down very quick if the ball hits the deck.

I am sure that we will win in the ruck. Not many beat Jamie but the takeaways are crucial and as much as I have liked the progress of the kids they are young. Still hope springs eternal:). I will be sitting with a beer or two hopeing for us to be competative and even win. By the way if we did win I would still not right Collingwood off. They have all games in Melbourne except for 4 this year. The argument about there Melbourne games being neutral is a tame argument at best. On Friday night 90% of the crowd where behind Collingwood. This WAS a home game for Collingwood and it will not be any differant when we play there.

John said:
I am not into the "who have you played" argument that a few of our supporters have put up.

That would be me:D

All I have been saying is that Collingwood have not really beaten any good sides this year. They have beaten:

Hawthorn (4,5)
Kangaroos (2,7)
Essendon (1,8)
Port Adelaide (3,6)
Carlton (2,7)
Geelong (3,6)
Bulldogs (5,4) - who admittedly are a good side but they have been decimated with injuries.

Collingwood have no doubt beaten sides very convincingly, but I don't know how much credit to give that until they come up against good sides. They may be the real deal, or they may just be looking good because of the anomaly of the draw. We will see.

Grimreepah said:
That would be me:D

All I have been saying is that Collingwood have not really beaten any good sides this year. They have beaten:

Hawthorn (4,5)
Kangaroos (2,7)
Essendon (1,8)
Port Adelaide (3,6)
Carlton (2,7)
Geelong (3,6)
Bulldogs (5,4) - who admittedly are a good side but they have been decimated with injuries.

Collingwood have no doubt beaten sides very convincingly, but I don't know how much credit to give that until they come up against good sides. They may be the real deal, or they may just be looking good because of the anomaly of the draw. We will see.

:D. A matter of philosophy I guess. I think the problem is that they have a good run and they all think that the Premiership is a "cakewalk". They have one it once in 26 years or some such time. With a record like that in modern times if I was a Pies fan I would be talking very softly and enjoying what comes when it finally does. Hope that makes sense:)
Also after reading other threads on this weekends game I think that some of their supporters have a rather unhealthy obbsesion with Brisbane. We are the least of their worries. The Crows, the Swans and the Eagles are their biggest problem.

The other one that they need to get away from is this comparison to Manchester United. There is no comparision. Man U are a team with huge success when it comes to trophies. The Pies are not. If the Pies supporters want a correct comparison they are more like Newcastle United. Same colours, same fanatical suporters and same lack of success in the modern era.

I will repeat what I said on a previous thread so that Collingwood fans do not get the wrong impression. I like watching them. They are entertaining and Bucks is an absolute superstar. I wish when I was at the Gabba that our fans where as loud. But I think they need not to blame everyone else but themselves if they have not in recent times been as succesfull as they should have.

On another matter I am shocked by Geelongs form. I remember when we
beat Geelong in the 04 "home" final away that they where a team of the future. Bomber Thompson said as much when he bitterly claimed the Lions had had their day in the press conferance after. If I was Geelong fan at the moment I would have to question if he should be coach next year.

Grimreepah said:

I'm of the opinion that it's not who you beat but more how you beat them. Both the Pies and us are playing some good footy atm. We're both playing as a team, and it should be a good contest.

Then why do I have an overwhelming feeling of dread about this game?

you guys say that collingwood hasnt beatn any good teams well: hawks, roos, dons, carlton, port, dogs cats. makes 7 teams.

still likely to beat: brisbane, richmond and freo.
losses to the 2 top sides, which put on a good show but didnt finish well.
still would have us in the top 6 teams (stats wise).

they have beaten the majority of the league.

terry wallace said that the game against the cats was the best hes seen a team play this decade.

tests: saints, melbourne, sydney.

pies have the depth, and ability to have several game plans, gives them the ability to play against various oppositions.

conclusion: will have a big say in september

top 4 are all birds --> eagles, swans, crows and pies.

inside_player said:
you guys say that collingwood hasnt beatn any good teams well: hawks, roos, dons, carlton, port, dogs cats.

Apart from the Bulldgos, who of those is a good team? In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all of those teams finished in the bottom 8.

inside_player said:
still likely to beat: brisbane, richmond and freo.

We'll see

inside_player said:
they have beaten the majority of the league.

7 out of 15 is not the majority.

inside_player said:
terry wallace said that the game against the cats was the best hes seen a team play this decade.

After round 2 Dean Laidley said that Geelong would win the premiership.

inside_player said:
tests: saints, melbourne, sydney.

Until they do, I don't know how good Collingwood really are

inside_player said:
pies have the depth

how do you know? They haven't had any injuries.

inside_player said:
conclusion: will have a big say in september

Agree. Collingwood only leave Melbourne 4 times, and as it turns out they play what I predict will be 5 bottom 8 (Hawthorn, Kangaroos, Essendon, Port, Carlton) teams twice, so I expect them to be right up there.

The Flying Belgian said:

You and me both!

Im just hoping for a super competitive showing,even if we go down it will bearable and even confidence building if we put in a 4 quarter effort.

However no matter how well the Pies are going,as long as you have your Voss's and Browns and Michaels getting into their heads about past encounters I do reckon we are a show.

Im sure some scars still remain on some of their senior guys-will they use it too beat us or crumble?

Just crusing through some :D:D:D:D:D from the wobble supporters for some reason they think brennan will get Tarrant and that Michael has not been able to keep rocca quiet. isnt it strange that neither have kicked bags against us. should be a really good game i think we have 1 up on them in the midfield and in the Forward line. Notting or Roe will get Tarrant with the other getting a Cloke

The Flying Belgian said:

Because if Collingwood defeat us, it’d be the end of our humble tradition with them – if you know what I mean..

Adcock is out for 3-6 weeks:thumbsdown: and Corrie is definately out for awhile probably the year.:( It is a downer for the Lions but atleast we have some people still to replace them with... Collingwood have 0 injuries Lions have 12... :eek: I dunno if it is just me but that seems like quite an advantage... I am very worried about this weekend but if all the Lions step up then it will atleast be one hell of a game if not a winner for us!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree as long as we go out there and play as hard as we can and not let it blow out to their advantage i think thats almost better then a win against what has been as awsome team this year.

Still i have a feeling i am going to be very happy at the end of this match, I shall be at the ground to watch :)

GO LIONS:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Ok, here goes...after finally being able to watch replays of the last couple of weeks games...

Both teams have great forward lines that are firing. I think that will continue so it's really up to the midfields. As long as we get it quick and competently down to Brown, Bradshaw (and whoever else Leigh decides to stick down there) then the Lions are capable of kicking a lot of goals. The same goes for the Pies aswell though.

I think were Brisbane may struggle is with some of the decision making from the younger blokes. I think guys like Roe, Sherman and Brennan have been playing great and have big futures but...if the Pies are on song and playing as they have been, then these guys will have to sharpen up their disposal otherwise they will be punished. Everything really has to fall into place for Brissie to get up. All well and good to say the Pies haven't beaten anyone of quality but niether have we.

*edit - just reminded me of something else Viper...going hard at it. Bris has in recent years been able to intimidate C'wood physically, and that is something they are really gonna need to do, through the likes of Voss, B Scott, Brown, Charman (rough bugger these days, I love it!) and maybe Copeland (what is the word on him anyway?). In particular Charman could do some damage by not neccessarily winning all the hit outs but by constantly bruising his opposing ruckmen.

That said, wrapped that the boys are doing so well, and hope they really give it to the scum;) on the weekend.

Melbourne Lion said:
Im just hoping for a super competitive showing,even if we go down it will bearable and even confidence building if we put in a 4 quarter effort.

I may say this against other teams - but never, ever Collingwood. I wanted us to put up a fight against West Coast. I never want to put up simply a "competitive showing" againts the pies. I want a win. A big win. One that sends them all the way back to Centrelink.

Grimreepah said:

Early matchup vs Collingwood

Troy Selwood on Dane Swan (or Heath Shaw)
Copeland on Buckley
Roe on Tarrant
Michael on Rocca
Adcock on Didak (if Adcock isn't fit, then this could be a danger. Plan B: B Scott)
Sherman on Davis.

I think Notting may go to Buckley with Bushy to come into the side and take the match up on Didak.

I wouldn't like to see the Sherman-Davis match up....let them find a match up for the Shermanator - they may try and go negative on him with a tagger which would be a massive feather in his cap. Someone like Brad Scott or Benny Fixter might be the go for Leon. Selwood to take Licuria. He and O'Bree are important for the Pies as they allow the running players to feed off their hard work. I'd let Power or Black go head to head with O'Bree.

Their defensive match-ups will be interesting. I guess Presti will go to Brown, Wakelin (if fit) to Bradshaw with Clement taking Brennan.....that is as good as another team has matched up on us defensively for a few weeks and we'll need goals from the midfield and the crumbers.

MSB ROYS said:
Article from The Australian with quotes from Eddie and Pikey.
To be frank, the only reason there is a rivalry between the clubs is because Brisbane was the last team to beat them in a grand final. Once someone else does that, the rivalry will fade. Going on Collingwood's history, it won't be too long before they lose another GF :p

POBT said:
To be frank, the only reason there is a rivalry between the clubs is because Brisbane was the last team to beat them in a grand final. Once someone else does that, the rivalry will fade. Going on Collingwood's history, it won't be too long before they lose another GF :p

Collingwood seems to bring out the best and worst in all of us. I don't think I've ever seen irel sledge before today (another thread) and now POBT:eek:

I do not think I sledge Collingwood. I enoy watching them play footy. I have no intention of getting in slanging matches with any one of them. But the one comment from the item in the Australian that caught my attention was

"McGuire said he did not intend for the salary cap debate to detract from Brisbane's success and was careful to separate the two issues. He accused Brisbane of "rolling them together to make it look like sour grapes".

YES HE DID. He has attempted to detract from our Premierships FULL STOP

If we had lost never a peep would have come from his self promoting mouth.

We apparently still have concessions until the end of this season. Why are we not on top? Do people like Maguire think that Sydney will win the Premiership permanantly? No they will not. What a furphy.

Rawhead said:
I like it!

Nothing wrong with getting a bit fired up and excited about a footy match.

The beauty of playing Collingwood is that their supporters are easily fired up and are prone to making all sorts of outlandish statements.

Hence victory would be all the sweeter because of the egg on face factor:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back