List Management 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not really even.

You're talking pick 5 for MD #1, which is about what most of us expected (something in the 4-6 range).

Then pick 6 for last year's pick 3. That's pretty shit.

Exactly, pick 6 for 3 is no good. Pick 5 + 6 for 3 is acceptable I think. MD for 5 is acceptable as well. 1 thing is missing.

If he 100% does not want to play for GWS and wants to get to Richmond then you would have to take that deal unless a better deal comes along this year. No point in holding on to him for another year and costing the spot of another player.

If he is not 100% then let him develop even more next year, try to convince him to stay and if not then his price could be higher with another season into him.

I kind of agree but players can turn out like Ryan O'Keefe.. always speculation about him moving but it never works out and ends up a club champion.

When it comes to a rucks we are now on about plan (H) and it would seem that Giles is looking less likely to be with us 2013:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/dep...ould-land-at-gws/story-fn69a32t-1226486113646

Also we have showed some interest in Jacob Surjan
http://www.footballnation.com.au/af...ers-whos-set-to-join-your-club-in-trade-week/
I just read on Fox sports this Blake story and I can't believe how rubbish and I repeat the word rubbish our recruiting has been. As a club we have been given 2 years able to take 1 player from each club ( uncontracted) and the best we can come up with in our second year is Blake and maybe Surjan what a waste. This year we were given a lot of slack with the belief we would be better next year but while other clubs are out in the free agency market we seem to be surfing the tip to look for discarded rubbish. How is this going to grow our membership and increase our market share? Surely we can do better and should EXPECT better. Blake and Surjan lmfao

I would have taken Blake ahead of Brogan last year, thought Blake had longer left in the game. This year, though, after a year in the bush? The call is marginal to come back. I always thought Blake and his gazelle like grace was underrated - but he'd have to have shown a bit up country to convince me. Junior played a year at Old Xavs and did all right for us. If we lose Giles he's an option. If we don't then he's still an option I suppose, but much less of one.

I just read on Fox sports this Blake story and I can't believe how rubbish and I repeat the word rubbish our recruiting has been. As a club we have been given 2 years able to take 1 player from each club ( uncontracted) and the best we can come up with in our second year is Blake and maybe Surjan what a waste. This year we were given a lot of slack with the belief we would be better next year but while other clubs are out in the free agency market we seem to be surfing the tip to look for discarded rubbish. How is this going to grow our membership and increase our market share? Surely we can do better and should EXPECT better. Blake and Surjan lmfao

could not agree more, brought some great young players but we got get some good big bodies in.

Damian Barrett on Trade Radio reckons Jon Giles could get more than $300k from another club - and he says that's double what the Giants have on offer!

Pay. The. Man.

Please.

i cant beleive that giles has not been signed, trade radio said that giants only offering 150g had 300g offered else where, maybe scully could take a pay cut to keep him at the club.

i cant beleive that giles has not been signed, trade radio said that giants only offering 150g had 300g offered else where, maybe scully could take a pay cut to keep him at the club.
I'd be interested to know where they're at in negotiations...

i.e. is that the Giants first offer? Only offer? Are they continuing to talk? Has Giles' management walked away?

And also whether that offer is based on salary cap pressure or simply 'we're only willing to pay $xxx for Jon Giles' or 'we're only willing to pay $xxx for a ruckman unless it's player X/Y/Z'

Life as a sports fan looking at salaries/caps/signings would be so much easier if we were privy to all numbers like the US sports haha the NBA off-season is a breeze in comparison.

Agree with playing hard ball on Giles, would rather save cap space to re-sign the young players. We can easily get another ruckman just as good for much cheaper, we can't easily replace Treloar & Cameron if they leave for big bucks.

Surjan and Blake both sound like a good fit - solid role players, toughen us up for a few years.

Member since today - troll account?

Hi Guys , This isnt a troll and im in no way coming here to patronise you with a suggestion that may not suit but ill put it out there and please feel free to say No lol.

Firstly on the Tyson thing, i respect that he was a pick 3 but in a 'weaker draft ' where i believe 12 players were already pre listed and from some reports and i dont really know your players very well but between 5-7 would of gone before Tyson, Where as this year there is only O'Meara & Crouch.

In Regards to the MD selections, Its pretty common knowledge that O'Meara & Crouch are alot better than Hogan & Martin, So to use last years bid as a guide would be crazy - Both O'meara and Crouch are considered to be Elite players. Bulldogs really dont have a huge interest in Hogan and wont want to commit both early selections to wait another year before they Debut. They need some kids coming through this year and would need the exposure of 1 top 10 selection coming in for both team balance and even for their marketing .

In Regards to The ruck situation , I cant understand the train of thought in not signing or giveing Giles $300k P.Y
He is easily worth that & I honestly cant see the logic in letting him walk ?? confusing decision has to be more to that that isnt being revealed.

but in the event he does leave, a bigger and more confusing decision would be is to get Blake , the guy was no good when he played for geelong and even though there were teams looking for Ruckman - No other team went near him and he is currently playing in a much much lower league - so ofcourse he should dominate there.

Also what would your thoughts be on Angus graham as a Replacement/Reserve Ruckman To cover or Work horse style Ruckman, he will never be a gun Ruckman or would expect to be given regular game time and would suit whilst your Top ruckman develop for the next Year or Two - And would come cheap as chips but is probably the most dominant Ruckman in the VFL atm.

Please guys as i mentione before i dont mean to offend or insult in any of the comments i have made above.

If my research is any good these were the pre-listed players:
(bold - ahead of Tyson, italics - around the same mark, regular - below, strikethrough - delisted before AFL)
Jeremy Cameron
Dylan Shiel
Adam Treloar
Tomas Bugg
Nathan Wilson
Jack Hombsch
Sam Darley
Josh Growden
Tim Golds
Gerald Ugle
Simon Tunbridge
Jarrod Harding

Add those guys back into the draft pool and you'd probably have Tyson going 5-7. Similarly this year there's O'Meara, Crouch and Daniher who'd slot into the top 5 or so, possibly Viney too if Melb get him with their 2nd rounder. So there's 2011 #3 going down 2-4 slots and 2012 #5+ also moving down 3-4 slots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE_GUN S2F nailed the same problem with your theory that I pointed out on the D&T board. Of the twelve prelisted players, only four may have gone above Tyson and I'd actually rank Bugg a bit below him - so three IMO. This year we're missing out on O'Meara, Couch and Daniher from the top level talent. Five to seven prelisted players would definitely not have gone before Tyson, unless you can pick the other three players on S2F's prelisted list that you'd have over Tyson? This draft is comparable to last year's draft at the high end, both in terms of the talent and in terms of what's missing from it. It's only when you get into the teens through to the picks in the thirties of last year's draft that the rest of the prelisted players would have gone.

That's why pick 9 for Tyson is rubbish, and pick 6 not much better. Would you guys have wanted to trade Cotchin for pick 8 the year after he was drafted? What about for pick 5? How about pick 8 and some player that is not a star and is never going to be one (that covers most players I've seen listed by Richmond supporters as trade candidates, including Nahas - I'm not saying he's bad, just not a star)? I'm betting you'd have said no to each of those.

Pick 4 or 5 might be considered fair value just because it's probably better than what we may get next year, but I doubt there's any way Richmond would give up enough of value to get a hold of that kind of pick. Overall GC looks like getting a better deal because they waited on Caddy, even if they don't get their exact value back. I suspect it will play out similarly with GWS and Tyson.

It would seem we have put our final offer to Giles and if he wants to remain with us he will re-sign otherwise he will be traded:

THE stand off between GWS and Jonathan Giles is entirely in the hands of the star ruckman, according to Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni.
With the AFL's trade period beginning next week, Silvagni declared the stalled negotiations boiled down to a simple decision only Giles can answer.

``He has to decide if he wants to be part of this football club,'' Silvagni told The Daily Telegraph.''

``We've offered him a contract and now it's his decision.

``He's a required player.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...n7ec9f5-1226487033344?utm_source=twitterfeed&

It would seem we have put our final offer to Giles and if he wants to remain with us he will re-sign otherwise he will be traded:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...n7ec9f5-1226487033344?utm_source=twitterfeed&
Beat me to it mate.

While SOS wouldn't talk about the dollars involved, I found the quote along the lines of 'we resurrected his AFL career and we feel our offer reflects that' to be interesting...

I sincerely doubt that this 'final offer' would be 50% of what Barrett reckons Giles would get on the open market, I guess we'll soon find out!

On Mark Blake: at best you'd think he might push Andrew Phillips for games/playing time.

If we were to lose Giles, surely another first ruckman would be coming in. I'm quite content to continue running Folau as the second ruck (pending his pre-season and whether Sheeds and co send him to the backline)

It is likely our interest in Blake is just as much about putting pressure on Giles as it is any genuine interest. But that said Blake is a very good tap ruckman and would actually be more likely to get the ball to advantage then Giles or Phillips but of course the issue with Blake is his around the ground work but in the article about our interest in him it does suggest this area of his game has improved.

I like this stand on Giles.

We have developed so much culture in just 1 year of the club, look at all the young guys signing on and really wanting to be a apart of this club. (Treloar even stating he loves it and never wants to leave)

Giles couldn't get a gig at any AFL club for 6 years and then GWS finally gave him a chance, had faith in him and opened the team up so he could play as many games as possible. Instead of drafting a gun ruckman, instead of spending big money on an opposition superstar big man.

So after only 1 year he now wants a 3rd of a million to stay, he either wants to be a Giant or just take the money and run. To me this would be one of the lowest acts I have seen from an AFL player and I am surprised no one else has called this out yet.

Obviously Giles looks like a great player and I hope he stays and becomes even better and when he has done his time I am sure he will get his pay rise. If he wants to leave then I am sure we could also get a good deal for him.

The recruiting of him has been great by the selectors and holding back on his demands is showing the quality of the guys running the place behind the scenes.

So after only 1 year he now wants a 3rd of a million to stay, he either wants to be a Giant or just take the money and run. To me this would be one of the lowest acts I have seen from an AFL player and I am surprised no one else has called this out yet.

I don't call out players for obtaining the best deal they can. Clubs treat them as interchangeable pieces generally, delisting at will, so I can't blame players for trying to make the most of it given the lack of security given the other way. Obviously I'd rather Giles re-sign with us, and still hope he might, but I'm not going to hold it against him if he goes for the cash. Especially considering how we picked up Davis, Scully, etc etc etc.

I don't call out players for obtaining the best deal they can. Clubs treat them as interchangeable pieces generally, delisting at will, so I can't blame players for trying to make the most of it given the lack of security given the other way. Obviously I'd rather Giles re-sign with us, and still hope he might, but I'm not going to hold it against him if he goes for the cash. Especially considering how we picked up Davis, Scully, etc etc etc.
I understand players wanting to get the best deal for themselves but after only 1 year? After the team resurrected your career? After no one else wanted you? After 6 years of being desisted getting zero games?

Good player now, has worked hard but would be nothing without GWS there to help. Dog act if he leaves in my opinion and not really relate able to other players that have left for money.

I understand players wanting to get the best deal for themselves but after only 1 year? After the team resurrected your career? After no one else wanted you? After 6 years of being desisted getting zero games?

Good player now, has worked hard but would be nothing without GWS there to help. Dog act if he leaves in my opinion and not really relate able to other players that have left for money.

If he didn't come through like he did this year, the club would have delisted him this year without a thought. Loyalty goes both ways. There's a reason we only offered him a one year contract. If we thought he was going to do as well as he did, they would've signed him up to a minimum two or three year contract instead. That's the risk the club takes.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Management 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back