List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes list managers traditionally start the delistings with current best 22 players who are 18 years old
And who already have a contract for next year.

Out
Houston
Future 2nd

In
Pickett
Current 1st
No matter what we ask for, watch the media rip into Port for being unreasonable for the player they proclaimed 'the best kick in the AFL' with 3 years on his contract.

If this trade was in reverse, that's exactly the type of opening demand most VIC clubs would make. Probably without the future second initially, so they could add that later.

I also feel that Kane Farrell could step up his game and move into the seagull. quarterback position with ease possibly vacated by Houston and do really well. He has the same sweet boot and won't have the same prowess in the air but is faster and more defensive than Houston.

I think Faz could do actually excel in the role.

Speaking of which, does this mean that Bergman will be playing the Luke Ryan role because he would excel in that as well. I could see Aliir in it as well.

I don't want a player for Houston, we've neglected the draft far too much in previous years & this year is shaping up well. I'd want picks for certain.

The idea we could just replace Houston is mad.

Like if there’s another Houston out there why don’t we already have them on the list? Why don’t other teams have players of that quality.

Houston is in our best 4 players easily and there can be a case made for him to be in the first 2 while jhf is developing. Butters and Houston would be our top 2 players imo. Houston is a out and out gun. Very few prospects with his kicking let alone as good all round as he is.

I would argue he’s one of the most well rounded players in the entire league.

The only benefit to losing him is getting younger for our next coach, and I can see the argument for that, but don’t pretend it doesn’t make us weaker in the short term…. He’s not replaceable.

My read is. Houston is getting serious with a Victorian girl and is therefore “open” to a move to Victoria.

The club now sees it as an opportunity to get back to the pointy end of the draft. If a deal gets to hard, I think both parties would be happy to see out the contract.
My take is it is not a footy decision, he has a long term relationship where thay may be considering kids etc. so move home to be with your family for maternal support etc.

Hopefully the other Vic clubs will get involved cranking up the offers where we can alwasy so no.
If he really wants to go Port should agree and get the best trade we can (and not just deal with the Dees).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the other Vic clubs will get involved cranking up the offers where we can alwasy so no.
If he really wants to go Port should agree and get the best trade we can (and not just deal with the Dees).
Normally it doesn't work like this. Even if he just wants to go to VIC, one club would put forward an offer he prefers, and that'd be our only option.

The 3 year contract does offer some leverage though. Ultimately probably not enough to trade him anywhere but his preferred club, but enough to say we'll keep you or are willing to trade you to X club, but not Y club unless they improve their offer.

Can't really see our recruitment team doing this though. This is what a more ruthless club would do, not nice guy Port.

Houston is also very durable (touch wood) so no reason he couldn’t play at his current level for many years.
This is what I used to say about Brad Ebert before his first concussion.

I think we need to open up 5 list spots which will require 6 list changes.

Retire McKenzie, Dixon
Delist Kyle Marshall, Finlayson, Narkle
Trade Burton

Clurey is contracted but maybe they pay him out. I'd actually prefer not to given the fact he is a good clubman/SANFL leadership.

To me it looks like Boak still has some run in the legs.

I don't want a player for Houston, we've neglected the draft far too much in previous years & this year is shaping up well. I'd want picks for certain.
Picks come with risk, no guarantee they come on and we shouldn't be trading out one of our best players with 3 years to go for draft picks.

A deal involving Pickett would be the only thing id consider for Houston. He's a young, X factor type player to come in and play a role we are a short in.

I think we need to open up 5 list spots which will require 6 list changes.

Retire McKenzie, Dixon
Delist Kyle Marshall, Finlayson, Narkle
Trade Burton

Clurey is contracted but maybe they pay him out. I'd actually prefer not to given the fact he is a good clubman/SANFL leadership.

To me it looks like Boak still has some run in the legs.

Pretty confident in saying if they choose to move on Clurey they'd be able to find a trade partner.

Didn't they try to move.him on last year and there were no buyers?

Not sure about last year. But things can change as different players move to different teams creating different needs each off-season.

Not sure about last year. But things can change as different players move to different teams creating different needs each off-season.

And last year his back was stuffed. He's made a full recovery and has played every week in the sanfl at a high level.

We need to plan for a genuinely good big-bodied mid behind Ollie Wines. We don't have another midfielder like him who plants his body over the ball and feeds it out to the star ball movers.

Ollie has been huge the past couple of weeks, he disrupted Carlton's midfield with his strength and tackling, 10 clearances and 10 tackles last night.

If we get an early draft pick through trading, that player type has to be our #1 target because we have no one else like that.

We need to plan for a genuinely good big-bodied mid behind Ollie Wines. We don't have another midfielder like him who plants his body over the ball and feeds it out to the star ball movers.

Ollie has been huge the past couple of weeks, he disrupted Carlton's midfield with his strength and tackling, 10 clearances and 10 tackles last night.

If we get an early draft pick through trading, that player type has to be our #1 target because we have no one else like that.

Why would you make that archetype of player the #1 target in the off season given that at full strength they wouldn't get a game and be behind Ollie anyway?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back