List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read Noah Cumberland will have to wait until the end of the trade period for a contract offer from Richmond. What happened to him? Burst on to the scene and now can’t get a game for the spooners.

Actually plays a bit like taller, faster Frankie Evans.

I think the Suns are desperate to move Lukosius on. I appreciate they are saying they are happy to keep him and will only trade him for the right price (whatever that is), but I think they want him gone. They have also told Malcolm Rosas and Jy Farrar to look around, and they both have contracts. So a bit of a clean out at the Suns.
So a three time Premiership
coach wants to move on a player? Should we be wary?

I think the Suns are desperate to move Lukosius on. I appreciate they are saying they are happy to keep him and will only trade him for the right price (whatever that is), but I think they want him gone. They have also told Malcolm Rosas and Jy Farrar to look around, and they both have contracts. So a bit of a clean out at the Suns.

I think the happy to keep him line is just a line and they'd be a little concerned if he is saying he'd really like to say. It's almost a threat if they play hard ball on a trade.

The NOD interest is fascinating. From his point of view why would he go from one stacked midfield to another?

From our point of view, why are we continuing to chase B-Graders? Last year we chased 4 B- Graders= Sweet, Soldo BZT and Rat. That was understandable because you don’t need (and can’t have) a team of only A-Graders and ruck and tall back were areas where you don’t need A-Graders, given we had Aliir already.

This year it’s NOD, Richards and Perryman- wing, forward and back. How many B-graders are needed and why can’t we grow our own? I know Perryman has a claim on being an A-Grader and that list looks a lot better with Lukosius who is an A-Grader, no doubt in my mind.

Cripps and Davies are taking a radical approach to list management and it would make for a good book in a few years. Let’s hope it’s a book with a happy ending.

The NOD interest is fascinating. From his point of view why would he go from one stacked midfield to another?

From our point of view, why are we continuing to chase B-Graders? Last year we chased 4 B- Graders= Sweet, Soldo BZT and Rat. That was understandable because you don’t need (and can’t have) a team of only A-Graders and ruck and tall back were areas where you don’t need A-Graders, given we had Aliir already.

This year it’s NOD, Richards and Perryman- wing, forward and back. How many B-graders are needed and why can’t we grow our own? I know Perryman has a claim on being an A-Grader and that list looks a lot better with Lukosius who is an A-Grader, no doubt in my mind.

Cripps and Davies are taking a radical approach to list management and it would make for a good book in a few years. Let’s hope it’s a book with a happy ending.
What is NOD?

My understanding is that it is very difficult to pry out A graders from other clubs because they get treated so well. They need to be disgruntled or wanting to move back home or some other reason. It is rare for a great player to just get up and leave unless it is for money and other things.

Trying to find mismanaged or disgruntled or out of position or out of favour or back of the queue B graders is a very good way to get your list up especially in the premiership window. And with some opportunity, those B graders turn into A graders.

He moved cause he was 3rd in line at Richmond and only had 1 year left on his deal.

If he didn’t play much in the last year of his deal his next offer would have been pretty low, so would have been a huge risk to stay.

I’ve never said he’s on peanuts , but there’s no reason to suggest he’s on the sort of coin that we need to get him off the cap.

And as I’ve said, if he leaves, we need to replace him so how does the logic work that in order to recruit a 3rd in line ruck here we had to pay him a mint, but to recruit a ruck to replace him we can get someone so significantly cheaper as to provide cap relief ?

That doesn’t add up.
Because we didn't recruit him to be a third in line ruck, we recruited him to be a #1 ruck. It didn't work out but we only know that with hindsight. Of course we're paying him well.

This is the most 'Crows supporter on the D&T board' posting I've ever seen from a Port fan on here.

My take on Soldo is he is arguably the most tradeable player in terms of excess to actual needs for Port on the list, it's highly unlikely he is happy to be the 3rd cab off the rank at his second club which is where he currently appears to be sitting at Alberton, and as has been already suggested his retention could also effect Visentini's development particularly if both spend a fair bit of next season at the Maggies.

Sweet has at this stage proven to be far more durable, and Visentini has shown signs he could be better than both in a season or two, so cashing in on Ivan while he is still worth something and replacing him with a project ruckman, who would cost much less and could be rookie listed makes sense.

There may also be something to the suggestion by another poster the club could be keeping Soldo in cotton wool for whatever remains of this season to hopefully maximise his return at the trade table.

Soldo has no value at the trade table, guy that was overtaken as a number one ruck, just as injury prone as his Richmond days & probably on a contract no club is keen to take on.

Because we didn't recruit him to be a third in line ruck, we recruited him to be a #1 ruck. It didn't work out but we only know that with hindsight. Of course we're paying him well.

This is the most 'Crows supporter on the D&T board' posting I've ever seen from a Port fan on here.

Because we were giving him a chance to be 1st ruck we must have given a 3rd in line ruck high dollars? Why would we? Charity?

Again, I’ve never argued he’s on peanuts, but there’s no proof nor logic to any claims he’s on “need to get him off the cap” money.

I’m not sure why my posts, pointing out there’s zero evidence (fact) to claims soldo would be on that sort of coin and pointing out facts like he moved for opportunity, not money as the main draw is seen as some wild statement.

Because we were giving him a chance to be 1st ruck we must have given a 3rd in line ruck high dollars? Why would we? Charity?

Again, I’ve never argued he’s on peanuts, but there’s no proof nor logic to any claims he’s on “need to get him off the cap” money.

I’m not sure why my posts, pointing out there’s zero evidence (fact) to claims soldo would be on that sort of coin and pointing out facts like he moved for opportunity, not money as the main draw is seen as some wild statement.
Why do you keep saying '3rd in line'? He wasn't 3rd in line at Richmond and he's not 3rd in line here either. This is why you're being called out on your posts, because the premise is factually wrong and the conclusion is hopelessly optimistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazes me that a guy like Josh Battle is going to be on 950k (allegedly). That is crazy money for an above average (but not elite) player.

Worth keeping in mind that JHF is supposedly on an average of around 600k for the next 4 years. Going by the Battle contract that is a bargain.

Yes. The major concerns are:

1. softness
2. Dimma doesn't want him and he's clearing out the duds
3. only wants to play forward

2 and 3 are of stronger concern.
And salary cap where they need some room to breath, I reckon a second rounder could get Luco

We are being linked with more players this year than usual but it doesn't mean we will get them all. We're clearly after a couple of outside running types so we're speaking to a heap of them to see who we can shake free at a reasonable price.

Either player managers are more talkative or there's so much media that inquiries are getting out.

I'm on the Luko bandwagon, if we can get him for a F2, go for it. If he doesn't pick Port, kick him out of the wedding party Connor :p

Perryman is being hunted by Port Adelaide and Hawthorn, but has a six-year deal to stay at the Giants, while Cumming is weighing interest from Port Adelaide and Adelaide but has been offered a four-year extension to stay.

I think with the position our current list is in, we should have no issues trading a future first for Luko. It is not like it is going to be a top 10 pick, more than likely going to be 15+ once you factor in our predicted ladder position, plus academy / father son bids.
Keep Houston and add in Perryman and Luko, raises the ceiling of our team instantly.

Why do you keep saying '3rd in line'? He wasn't 3rd in line at Richmond and he's not 3rd in line here either. This is why you're being called out on your posts, because the premise is factually wrong and the conclusion is hopelessly optimistic.

I called him 3rd in line at Richmond because he was 3rd in line.

Nankervis - obviously ahead of him. Played 15 games that year.

Samson Ryan - younger 206cm player who went past soldo in selection and played 14 games that year

Soldo - 8 games that year.

The literal definition of 3rd in line.

****, Ben miller played 13 games that year as a kpp / ruck.

Soldo was in the wilderness.

There is zero factually wrong about anything I’ve said, nor is my premise flawed.

Again to clarify my argument has been,

- there’s been no evidence to say soldo is on x amount of dollars , so it’s guesswork by posters to say he’s on “get him off our cap” money

- soldo left Richmond for opportunity, not a payday.

- If we jettison soldo we have to replace him with another ruck anyway, and offer them money to move here.

Last edited:
If we could genuinely get lukosious for a second rounder we should be doing absolutely everything in our power to make him choose us. That would potentially be the biggest bargain we have ever gotten in trade. I personally don’t see them accepting that from us.

From what I've heard, GC are more than willing to move him on for a F2 as long as the trading team takes on his monster back ended contract.

GC are looking to move him on to free up cap space for the Rioli trade + extensions to Anderson/Rowell/Flanders in the works and see Luko as expensive excess (even though their main preference is the re-contract Luko at a lower rate and keep him).

For cost I'd prioritise the people we have been linked to as:

Lukosius - Yes
Perryman - Yes
Richards - Yes
O'Driscoll - Maybe
Cumming - No

Lukosius is by far the most talented of the group in my opinion. If we took on all of his salary instead of offering 900k+ to Perryman or whatever Cumming would cost, we should be able to get him for a future first at worst.

Perryman. 2nd Most talented on the list, won't cost any draft capital. Will be a big wage and contract length, but that's the going rate to get above average talent out of another club. The fact Hawks are massively into him shows you how other clubs rate him too.

Richards - Should be very cheap (3rd round pick), good age at 25, has a good amount of upside and I would rate him much better than McEntee and Evans.

O'Driscoll - Don't mind him and would come extremely cheap. Super quick, line breaking player who has a raking kick. Not sure what his fitness is like but would really like him on a wing.

Cumming - Don't rate him personally. Think he would be a meh pick sitting in the back end of our first 22 at best and we'd overpay salary wise for what he offers. Wouldn't cost any draft capital as a free agent but I don't rate him as a player. Good kick, decent runner, doesn't get any contested possies, doesn't defend well and doesn't impact on the outside enough to counter the 0 contest work he provides.

I think it says we feel like we have enough A-grade talent to win a flag and we want to make sure they are surrounded by a list with the right depth of AFL ready players.

Perryman is defensively minded with great skills and smarts. O’Driscoll and Richards are quick and good by foot. It feels like we are targeting the right type of players to to me.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back