List Mgmt. List structure 2021 - how many spots do we have? (2 rookie spots available)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we will only go into 2021 with 41 players. The above article shows what lies ahead for many teams. 9% percent reduction in TPP and ASA . Players are only to receive a cut in 2021 wages of 3.5% thus leaving the clubs to have to rework existing contracts down some $675k for next year.
This meaning back ending contracts and making it hard for all teams carrying full lists or tight TPP to have a massive effect on players coming out of contract in 2021.

I believe we will go light with players in 2021 season to set us up for a big name in RFA at the end of 2021. I think that player is Zach Merrett.

How’s that possible when we don’t have that many picks in the first 3 rounds...

We’ll have at least as many picks as list spots. If we have to use multiple later picks to match a bid then we’ll be given extra picks later in the draft. Every club will have the opportunity to fill every senior list spot, assuming they want to.

We’ll have at least as many picks as list spots. If we have to use multiple later picks to match a bid then we’ll be given extra picks later in the draft. Every club will have the opportunity to fill every senior list spot, assuming they want to.
I get that, but you don’t want to be filling spots with round 7 picks. I gues we are banking on lost clubs opting out after round 3

I get that, but you don’t want to be filling spots with round 7 picks. I gues we are banking on lost clubs opting out after round 3

Round 5, 6, and 7 picks could end up being in the 50’s or 60’s though.

It’s fruitless complaining about the position we are in but some second rounders would have been great!!

I’m still hopeful we’ll get 3 top 30 picks + Reef. That has great potential to reshape our list for years to come. A couple of other picks in the 50’s or 60’s who could equally be anything or nothing. I’d be happy with that.

With Langdon gone, that’s now 10 players we’re picking up in the drafts ... a quarter of the list

Is that some kind of record?

#notarebuild
You can check here for a comparison: Collingwood - Every Draft Pick Ever - Draftguru

It's the most (recruited via drafts at the one time) since 2012, when we also brought in 10 players in the National and Rookie Drafts. There was also a player traded in that year, plus 2 UFA's. In 2010 11 players were picked up in the drafts (plus another 3 were traded in). At the end of 1996 via the ND, PSD and RD 17 new players came to the club (plus 4 trades) - that would be the biggest haul of new players picked up in the drafts at the one time (or near enough to the one time) for our club.

You can check here for a comparison: Collingwood - Every Draft Pick Ever - Draftguru

It's the most (recruited via drafts at the one time) since 2012, when we also brought in 10 players in the National and Rookie Drafts. There was also a player traded in that year, plus 2 UFA's. In 2010 11 players were picked up in the drafts (plus another 3 were traded in). At the end of 1996 via the ND, PSD and RD 17 new players came to the club (plus 4 trades) - that would be the biggest haul of new players picked up in the drafts at the one time (or near enough to the one time) for our club.

When did they reduce list sizes to 44? We used to turn over a lot more rookie selections prior to that.

When did they reduce list sizes to 44? We used to turn over a lot more rookie selections prior to that.
2001 appears to be the first year where lists were capped at 44 - clubs could have 38-40 primary list players and 4-6 on the rookie list. They could include up to 2 players on the veteran list (as part of the 44). That was back in the good old days when those on the rookie list really were rookies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While they're yet to announce it, Levi Greenwood and Anton Tohill have re-signed for next season and are included in the 34 along with Jordan De Goey who has committed to a two-year deal. It is expected Tohill and former basketballer Tom Wilson will be the two Category B rookies for the Pies in 2021.

So does that mean we gotta get 6 players from the draft and 4 from the rookie draft?
Currently

Senior list
6 needed to reach minimum senior list size of 36
2 optional (senior list of 37 or 38)

Rookie list
We’ve meet the minimum number of rookies required, but can add 2-4 more depending on whether we take a senior list of 36, 37 or 38.

I think we’re likely to have a senior list of 36, but not sure if we’ll take the full quota of rookies.

Last edited:
Currently

Senior list

Rookie list
We’ve meet the minimum number of rookies required, but can add 2-4 more depending on whether we take a senior list of 36, 37 or 38.

I think we’re likely to have a senior list of 36, but not sure if we’ll take the full quota of rookies.
I think we'll keep a couple of spots open and have some kids we were tracking, but not yet sold on, train with us over summer in order to decide whether to add them.

Currently

Senior list

Rookie list

Could also promote Keane and Noble to the senior list and take 4 and 1.

If it were up to me, I'd look to move another 1 or 2 senior list players to the rookie list and load up at the drafts with 6 or 7 picks in the ND and 0-1 in the RD. Keep at least 1 spot for the midyear draft periods.

Before round 3 for most clubs. It's expected to be a short draft - pundits are saying about 50 picks (which is about 2 and a half rounds).

Nah his promotion to the senior list was this time last year.

Ahh... my mistake. Worth keeping although frankly we should have traded him rather than Atu.

He’s competing directly with Cameron for the second ruck role. Maybe he can try and reinvent himself into a defender and see if he can try and challenge for Rougheads role

Ahh... my mistake. Worth keeping although frankly we should have traded him rather than Atu.

He’s competing directly with Cameron for the second ruck role. Maybe he can try and reinvent himself into a defender and see if he can try and challenge for Rougheads role
If we did that, you know what would have happened.

"Grundy and Cameron have had an unfortunate incident in training, and will be out for 6-8 weeks."

Always need a few extra rucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List structure 2021 - how many spots do we have? (2 rookie spots available)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back