Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL) 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit short for grovedale i'd say, The perenial underachievers ( 3 finals appearences in 30 years earns you the right to that tag ) shouldn't even have odds up for the premiership there that far off the pace. I'd honestly fancy myself in a 100 yard dash against usain bolt before these jokers ever looked like pushing for a spot in the 5.

I reckon thats a bit harsh. There trying hard to rebuild and have got some quality young blood into this years list. Still can't see them pushing for a top 5 finish this year but they make a few teams stand upo and respect them.

Newtown worse club in the GFL, Shit blokes, shit club. Recruit your own players

They do have a habit of talking to the same players that other clubs have just spoken to year after year. South Barwon is talking to such and such; we better go and have a chat to him.

I reckon thats a bit harsh. There trying hard to rebuild and have got some quality young blood into this years list. Still can't see them pushing for a top 5 finish this year but they make a few teams stand upo and respect them.

I dont think its harsh at all mate. Im from grovie and go watch them every week plus played all my junior footy there but seriously how long do we have to swallow this rebuilding bullshit? They've been rebuilding since 1979, how can you expect to go anywhere when you recruits blokes that were only average in the bfl ( that excludes raidme ) when other clubs go recruit players like street,harris,donati to name a few, blokes that are older, bigger bodied and that have played in alot better leagues than bfl.

I dont think its harsh at all mate. Im from grovie and go watch them every week plus played all my junior footy there but seriously how long do we have to swallow this rebuilding bullshit? They've been rebuilding since 1979, how can you expect to go anywhere when you recruits blokes that were only average in the bfl ( that excludes raidme ) when other clubs go recruit players like street,harris,donati to name a few, blokes that are older, bigger bodied and that have played in alot better leagues than bfl.

I know its only round 1 but those "average" recruits took up 5 of the best 6 players in Grovedale's win against Geelong West today.

Yeah went had a look at sundays game and from what i saw west might struggle this year if the younger blokes dont develop.
The only good signs for them was there new ruckman stewart and there other recruit rock trying hard. Shane jack had plenty of the ball and number 20 dont no who he was but played well down back.
Grovedale youngsters ran hard and moved the ball well and they might surprise a few teams this year with there hard running. Did anybody else see the game and what did you think of the 2 teams.

The weekends results just reaffirms that no GFL side should be underestimated with Grovedale and North Shore defying pre season predictions that they would be easy beats in 09. I had a look at the second half of St.Albans v Leopold and it was a ripping game. Leopold were out on their feet with injuries and would have had some excuses if they got rolled but geez they dug deep to get over the line.Both sides have improved greatly on what I saw.

Ill put my hand up and admit grovedale surprised me yesterday. They moved the ball pretty well and looked fit and disciplined. I still think they'll struggle against the top sides but maybe they'll be alot more competetive than most people (including me) thought they'd be.

Ill put my hand up and admit grovedale surprised me yesterday. They moved the ball pretty well and looked fit and disciplined. I still think they'll struggle against the top sides but maybe they'll be alot more competetive than most people (including me) thought they'd be.

A good win no doubt but I'd be very surprised if GWSP won more than 5 games this year.

My wooden spoon ladder:

St Albans
Leopold
Newtown
Lara
Grovedale
GWSP
North Shore

I think St Albans will still finish higher than Leopold regardless of the weekends results.

leopold are happy with getting the 4 points, knowing st albans were at home, with a good crowd expecting a different result. Big Walk's being out too was a huge loss, as Mc Farlane probably in the top 3 ruckman in the comp, with walks & street. jeez, st albans are going to struggle if they think niklaus & nawroki will turn their fortunes around. Niklaus slow, and why they got another ruckman when they have mc Farlane is anyones guess.

leopold are happy with getting the 4 points, knowing st albans were at home, with a good crowd expecting a different result. Big Walk's being out too was a huge loss, as Mc Farlane probably in the top 3 ruckman in the comp, with walks & street. jeez, st albans are going to struggle if they think niklaus & nawroki will turn their fortunes around. Niklaus slow, and why they got another ruckman when they have mc Farlane is anyones guess.

If you think St Albans haven't improved where will that leave Leopold? I mean St Albans should of won the game to be fair.

I don't think Leopold will be as good as they think they'll are.

Time will tell I guess, but both sides won't push the top 5 sides.

Yeah went had a look at sundays game and from what i saw west might struggle this year if the younger blokes dont develop.
The only good signs for them was there new ruckman stewart and there other recruit rock trying hard. Shane jack had plenty of the ball and number 20 dont no who he was but played well down back.
Grovedale youngsters ran hard and moved the ball well and they might surprise a few teams this year with there hard running. Did anybody else see the game and what did you think of the 2 teams.

Grovedale surprised me as much as anyone, they ran hard and played with purpose. Crowd was good; Sunday footy a great idea. West very flat and though they still have a couple of blokes to come in (3 that are on VFL lists), they were well beaten. There is a lot of room for improvement and though many are tipping them to be bottom two or three, they will be up and about shortly. Their midfield is solid and with Saunders and Dale Carson in the pivotal forward posts, they are always going to be in with a chance. No. 20 that you refer to is Adam Morrow. Finished Top 5 B&F last year and has VFL experience with Werribee. Very, very consistent and hard backman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering how Newcomb have improved from last season. Saw they got belted in both senior grades on Saturday but does it look like they are at least moving forward and building a good team? Or are they a lost cause?

Also interested in the performances of two first gamers for them last week in the 2's (if anyone watched the game). How did Simon Matheson and Joe Vallellonga go in their first Geelong area matches?

Just wondering how Newcomb have improved from last season. Saw they got belted in both senior grades on Saturday but does it look like they are at least moving forward and building a good team? Or are they a lost cause?

Also interested in the performances of two first gamers for them last week in the 2's (if anyone watched the game). How did Simon Matheson and Joe Vallellonga go in their first Geelong area matches?

They will be disgusting all year unfortunately. Will be lucky to score in some games against the stronger sides.
Was it really worth buying those premierships a couple of years back. considering the appaling state the playing list is in now, I think Newcomb need miracle workers to get them out of this mess.

Torquay kicked a lazy 49 goals today, whats the most in game anyone can remember?

St Albans with a couple to come back. Should've beaten an average Leopold, especially given Greaves went down. Have heard a couple of city-folk have recently been signed to the Saints - will be interesting to see who they are...

Portarlington had a few 50+ bags kicked against them in about 2003 i think.

Newcomb are in some serious trouble... Aren't they mr catattack?

Anybody head out to lara yesterday? If so what were the end results

I went out there. Lara ended up going down by 8 points. Newtown killed them in the 2nd quarter kicking 8 goals to one. With Kilday and Morrison killing Lara.

After half time Lara came out and got their unning game going. Was a goal the diff with 4 mins left, but Lara just fell short.

Newtown have been underrated in the offseason.

I went out there. Lara ended up going down by 8 points. Newtown killed them in the 2nd quarter kicking 8 goals to one. With Kilday and Morrison killing Lara.

After half time Lara came out and got their unning game going. Was a goal the diff with 4 mins left, but Lara just fell short.

Newtown have been underrated in the offseason.

I put Newtown and Lara near the bottom on my ladder. How'd the new recruits go for each team?

Torquay kicked a lazy 49 goals today, whats the most in game anyone can remember?

Torquay hold the BFL record 57.32.374 vs St Leonards back in about 85/86. Although I read that Geelong West U/19's once had 110.27.687 kicked against them the FF kicking 46.8!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back