Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL) 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky...

Is it fair to say that for some years now, Joeys have relied on their "devloping juniors" and "loyalty" to build them a successful club?
It's just now (being this year and next year with the Carson boys) they have realised they have to follow the rest of the league and must spend money to become a realistic chance at a premiership?

Imagine if Joeys had spent a bit of money a few years ago when they had the likes of Hood, Greaves, Smith, Bauer, Baker, Jenkinson etc in their prime... The drought may have already been broken by now.

What and them blokes you've just mentioned weren't getting looked after? This is ridiculous, every club pays for players. If its not cash after each game its other things like work done on players house, a job etc etc. Joeys have constantly been around finals action for 15 years and also played off in a few granny's.

What and them blokes you've just mentioned weren't getting looked after? This is ridiculous, every club pays for players. If its not cash after each game its other things like work done on players house, a job etc etc. Joeys have constantly been around finals action for 15 years and also played off in a few granny's.

I never said they weren't getting looked after. Of course they were but it was more highlighting the "loyalty" label. Due to loyalty, these players weren't getting paid as much as they should've been. So theoretically, Joeys were saving money - money they could've spent on an outside player that may have filled a position in the team.

No offense to GWSP, but Dale Carson is a total waste at your club. When you saw the crap disposal to him and the lack of foreseeable success meant that he was always going to go.

Rizzo, you're kidding aren't you?! I assume you mean 'delivery' not 'disposal' and if that's the case, then during Dale's three years at the club, he has had blokes running around in the middle at West such as Peter Riccardi, Scott Faulkner, Liam Rock, Paul Carson, Shane Jack, Russell Whiteford, , etc kicking him the footy. All of those guys either amongst the top-shelf on-ballers or at least kickers in the comp. West missed finals by .05 percent in his first year, made finals last year and after player dispersion this season, obviously had a bad season. Are you suggesting that just because other blokes walked away before this season, then he should have gone also? Anyway, i'm not sure why you used the term 'with no disrespect' because that's exactly what you're comment implied. Give yourself a yellow card. If your logic is the case maybe all top players coming into the Gfl should just go and play with St Joey's Bell Park, Sth Barwon, St Marys and keep clear of GWSP, St Albans, Grovey, Lara, etc. The gulf would widen even further than it is alarmingly now. Geelong football followers then wonder why come the start of each year there are realistically only 6 or 7 sides in contention for finals. Unfortunately the comp has become a battle between the haves and the have-nots. The scrapping of the salary cap and the fact that money speaks all languages and hands the top sides even more of an advantage is becoming the biggest challenge that football in this region is facing.

Rizzo, you're kidding aren't you?! I assume you mean 'delivery' not 'disposal' and if that's the case, then during Dale's three years at the club, he has had blokes running around in the middle at West such as Peter Riccardi, Scott Faulkner, Liam Rock, Paul Carson, Shane Jack, Russell Whiteford, , etc kicking him the footy. All of those guys either amongst the top-shelf on-ballers or at least kickers in the comp. West missed finals by .05 percent in his first year, made finals last year and after player dispersion this season, obviously had a bad season. Are you suggesting that just because other blokes walked away before this season, then he should have gone also? Anyway, i'm not sure why you used the term 'with no disrespect' because that's exactly what you're comment implied. Give yourself a yellow card. If your logic is the case maybe all top players coming into the Gfl should just go and play with St Joey's Bell Park, Sth Barwon, St Marys and keep clear of GWSP, St Albans, Grovey, Lara, etc. The gulf would widen even further than it is alarmingly now. Geelong football followers then wonder why come the start of each year there are realistically only 6 or 7 sides in contention for finals. Unfortunately the comp has become a battle between the haves and the have-nots. The scrapping of the salary cap and the fact that money speaks all languages and hands the top sides even more of an advantage is becoming the biggest challenge that football in this region is facing.

I agree with most of that brown sugar. In my opinion the standard of the comp dropped considerably this year compared to recent. The top 5 were a mile in front. Both grovey and newtown finished with 8 wins. Grovey's side from last year had 8 wins and i think 9 the year before. The 07,08 grovey sides would beat this years side by plenty. Dont agree with the salary cap issue tho. If some clubs have more money thru good sponsorship etc its up to other clubs to lift there game. Its only a few years ago that south barwon were a rabble and look where they are now. Everything goes in cycles. A bit of hard work and smart decision making by committe members and every club can achieve success.

No offense to GWSP, but Dale Carson is a total waste at your club. When you saw the crap disposal to him and the lack of foreseeable success meant that he was always going to go.

especially when he spent 2nd half of the season playing as a midfielder, wasnt going to get much opportunity and since their season was gone, i think he wanted to get some action. Joeys are definitely flag favs for 2010 at this stage, but wait till silly season is over when more big name turnovers are announced...

I agree with most of that brown sugar. In my opinion the standard of the comp dropped considerably this year compared to recent. The top 5 were a mile in front. Both grovey and newtown finished with 8 wins. Grovey's side from last year had 8 wins and i think 9 the year before. The 07,08 grovey sides would beat this years side by plenty. Dont agree with the salary cap issue tho. If some clubs have more money thru good sponsorship etc its up to other clubs to lift there game. Its only a few years ago that south barwon were a rabble and look where they are now. Everything goes in cycles. A bit of hard work and smart decision making by committe members and every club can achieve success.

clubs can achieve success but it seems that around geelong, the clubs with continued success like south barwon geelong amateur and bell park get the better players coz of their winning culture. no loyalty in footy anymore, would be good to see salary restrictions like there once was, would give all clubs that chance to achieve success on an equal playing field rather than paying big dollars just to buy a flag, similar to newcomb, and look what has happened to them!!

Delivery/disposal. Same thing. The fact is that it was crap.

He may as well have, it would be like Melbourne having Jonathan Brown in their team. Having him there is going to do nothing for West, and he is getting nothing by being there. Give your young blokes a go now, and let some of the better teams have the Carsons. Its the only way you guys will get back to playing finals.

Generally all the top players are at the teams in the top 5 at the minute. Those that are not are either getting paid shit loads or have coaching roles.

Can't disagree with your final part. But that is life. People/Clubs with the most money get the most players. It is something the GFL have to address if they care about having an even competition.

He may as well have, it would be like Melbourne having Jonathan Brown in their team. Having him there is going to do nothing for West, and he is getting nothing by being there. Give your young blokes a go now, and let some of the better teams have the Carsons. Its the only way you guys will get back to playing finals.

Generally all the top players are at the teams in the top 5 at the minute. Those that are not are either getting paid shit loads or have coaching roles.

Can't disagree with your final part. But that is life. People/Clubs with the most money get the most players. It is something the GFL have to address if they care about having an even competition.

Why should successful clubs be punished for having money?? I know 2 years ago lara had 90 grand to spend on players. North shore have there pokies and st albans have cash. West must've had a bit to get the side they had last year and newtown wouldn't be short of a quid. Good players will be attracted to clubs with a great winning culture. Yeah money helps but its not everything. To many clubs around geelong have stood still whilst others have prospered which is why we've seen the same sides always in the top 5 recently. X

Why should successful clubs be punished for having money?? I know 2 years ago lara had 90 grand to spend on players. North shore have there pokies and st albans have cash. West must've had a bit to get the side they had last year and newtown wouldn't be short of a quid. Good players will be attracted to clubs with a great winning culture. Yeah money helps but its not everything. To many clubs around geelong have stood still whilst others have prospered which is why we've seen the same sides always in the top 5 recently. X

North Shore have lost their pokies, and they have lost another player who is off to Portarlington to coach. Things are going downhill very quickly for the Seagulls.

That being said, the same could be said for AFL then? The proof is in the pudding really, the big name players are going to the clubs who are willing to spend 90-150k on players. I'm not saying it should be capped to the extent that it was a few years ago, but some sort of cap should be in place.

This is the last i'm going to say on the matter because we are going around in circles but again, his delivery prior to this year was spot on; you have failed to mention that he did win the league goalkicking title two years ago; would have thought you'd need some pretty good delivery to kick 80-odd goals. He was keen to get in the midfield and his form spoke for itself once there. 6"4 blokes who run like the wind and have excellent foot skills and tackle as hard as anyone don't come along very often. He picked up close to 3 BOGs by playing in the middle. Aside from all that; both boys are gone and it is no secret that many of the club's supporters, etc are diappointed but that's footy and if they have left to win a premiership at another club then so be it. I agree with what everyone has said here in promoting juniors but some clubs are still in front of others with that aspect of the club and you can only coach them so well and promote them so well through your seniors and recruitment looks after everything else. However, your final comments about the best players in the league going to the better clubs is fast-making the GFL an elitest competition and with no salary cap and player payments two or three times what it was five years ago, the gap will only widen; rightly or wrongly. You can only spend what you can afford. In another five years time, it would surprise me little if the Top 6 or 7 was the same as it is today. It is ridiculous that some players in local footy are getting paid nigh on what some people are getting paid for a 9-5 full-time job. Don't say it's the clubs that dictate this either because more and more it is the players that demand it.

This is the last i'm going to say on the matter because we are going around in circles but again, his delivery prior to this year was spot on; you have failed to mention that he did win the league goalkicking title two years ago; would have thought you'd need some pretty good delivery to kick 80-odd goals. He was keen to get in the midfield and his form spoke for itself once there. 6"4 blokes who run like the wind and have excellent foot skills and tackle as hard as anyone don't come along very often. He picked up close to 3 BOGs by playing in the middle. Aside from all that; both boys are gone and it is no secret that many of the club's supporters, etc are diappointed but that's footy and if they have left to win a premiership at another club then so be it. I agree with what everyone has said here in promoting juniors but some clubs are still in front of others with that aspect of the club and you can only coach them so well and promote them so well through your seniors and recruitment looks after everything else.

However, your final comments about the best players in the league going to the better clubs is fast-making the GFL an elitest competition and with no salary cap and player payments two or three times what it was five years ago, the gap will only widen; rightly or wrongly. You can only spend what you can afford. In another five years time, it would surprise me little if the Top 6 or 7 was the same as it is today. It is ridiculous that some players in local footy are getting paid nigh on what some people are getting paid for a 9-5 full-time job. Don't say it's the clubs that dictate this either because more and more it is the players that demand it.

Part 1 - I was referring to poor delivery this year, and not previous years. If GWSP had the same team as last year both Carson boys would be Roosters in 2010 imho.

Part 2 - Agree. Needs to be looked at.

rizzo;15689466. Part 2 - Agree. Needs to be looked at.[/QUOTE said:
Also it doesnt help when clubs pay massive overs for a player ie- st albans with potter, its the same with the types of prices man city and real madrid were paying for blokes this year, you end up with blokes getting paid way more than they should and that forces other clubs to either match the offer or better it. I dont have any problems on what clubs are prepared to pay coz i know if i ever won the lotto or come into alot of cash id be giving my club some of the cash to spend on big name players!

Also it doesnt help when clubs pay massive overs for a player ie- st albans with potter, its the same with the types of prices man city and real madrid were paying for blokes this year, you end up with blokes getting paid way more than they should and that forces other clubs to either match the offer or better it. I dont have any problems on what clubs are prepared to pay coz i know if i ever won the lotto or come into alot of cash id be giving my club some of the cash to spend on big name players!

Yeah, St Albans went stupid with there money and brought in no hopers for a lot of cash. That being said, Clark gave Potter no chance to shine. Absolutely killed him.

Speaking of players moving, surely it is time for MacFarlane to leave the Supersaints. The bloke should be given a trophy for staying there. Would get some great $$ elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, St Albans went stupid with there money and brought in no hopers for a lot of cash. That being said, Clark gave Potter no chance to shine. Absolutely killed him.

Speaking of players moving, surely it is time for MacFarlane to leave the Supersaints. The bloke should be given a trophy for staying there. Would get some great $$ elsewhere.

mcfarlane may be one of few players who actually shpws loyalty to his club? he is possible coaching material for saints next season??

mcfarlane may be one of few players who actually shpws loyalty to his club? he is possible coaching material for saints next season??

Best Ruckman in the league playing for the second worst club in the league. He has an excuse to go, but won't. Maybe he is on very very good coin?? Not sure, I thought Draga would have been close? But he was average at best for the Saints this year.

McFarlane is already one of the best paid players in the comp. This is one gamble that has paid off for StA. He played for GWSP and had a good year, then went to the UK to live for 3 years, then came back and all ready to play for the Roosters again. StA then offered him triple the amount, having not played football for three years and sight unseen. It may actually be the dollars that are keeping him at StA.

The gulf would widen even further than it is alarmingly now. Geelong football followers then wonder why come the start of each year there are realistically only 6 or 7 sides in contention for finals. Unfortunately the comp has become a battle between the haves and the have-nots. The scrapping of the salary cap and the fact that money speaks all languages

So true.The same sides seem to finish in the top 5 in the B and the G(FL).With all this talk about money does anyone have any definite figures.

It is a fair comment that the better players go to the better clubs leaving the other clubs in their wake.

Can we please stop using pokies as a reason for North shore's success, they had absolutley nothing to do with the success of the club, that was built on a strong junior program and the generosity of a group of loyal supporters.

North Shore have lost their pokies, and they have lost another player who is off to Portarlington to coach. Things are going downhill very quickly for the Seagulls.

That being said, the same could be said for AFL then? The proof is in the pudding really, the big name players are going to the clubs who are willing to spend 90-150k on players. I'm not saying it should be capped to the extent that it was a few years ago, but some sort of cap should be in place.

We have won one game in two years i think were already at the bottom of the hill trying to figure out how to climb back up.

I say good luck to players if they can get some good money. If the clubs want to pay it then dont look a gift horse in the mouth. If GFL clubs wernt offering good money then players would go somewhere else like in Melbourne or many other country clubs that pay good coin as well. I think the ideal mix for a club is a blend of players who have come through junior ranks and extra quality from paid players. I think you will find most of the top clubs have been able to get this blend right.

Can we please stop using pokies as a reason for North shore's success, they had absolutley nothing to do with the success of the club, that was built on a strong junior program and the generosity of a group of loyal supporters.

I wasnt using it as a reason was merely pointing out that all clubs have some sort of revenue going into there clubs and some utilise it better than others. 2moro's games i think Bell Park will run all over dads army. Form side in the comp and they've played some breath taking footy this finals series. In the bfl it'll be more lopsided than last years grand final and drysdale will prove to everyone that they dont like big games. Ammo's by 125 points.

In the bfl it'll be more lopsided than last years grand final and drysdale will prove to everyone that they dont like big games. Ammo's by 125 points.

You are the biggest meat head on here I swear:eek:

You just make a goose of yourself every time you post, you sit back and bag the crap out of Colac and Drysdale but yet you pump up your club which is one of the most unsucceessful clubs in Geelong:rolleyes:

You just make a goose of yourself every time you post, you sit back and bag the crap out of Colac and Drysdale but yet you pump up your club which is one of the most unsucceessful clubs in Geelong:rolleyes:

Turn it up son. Ive been as critical as anyone regarding grovey actually probably more so than anyone. Ive never pumped them up really just said that it's great that things have changed up there this year. Im pretty sure it was you that potted me earlier this year when i had a go at the recruits we got and tipped them to finish bottom. Just go back and check that. I tipped colac to go out in straight sets and what happened??? Does that make me a goose? We'll see about 2moro aswell but i think you'll end up with the egg on your face mate! If your gonna criticise me for having a valid opinion make sure you can back up your comments.

Your a goose RG finnigan puts his opinion on the line he was correct about colac and if anyone thinks ammos wont steamroll drysdale tommorrow are kidding themself.The truth hurts and colac and drysdale have shocking finals records. Drysdale have a chance tommorrow to change this and ill put my neck on the line and tip ammos by 81 points maybe have a go yourself instead of sitting on the fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back