Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Ball wont end up at the Pies he will end up at Essendon (pick 24)

however I would love to see Melb call Ball's managers bluff and select him with pick 18

Rucci reported in yesterday's advertiser that Port were considering drafting him with pick 16. Surely if he nominates in the draft but will only commit to playing with one club then that is draft tampering?

Only if he puts it in writing that he will only go to a certain club(s) - anyone can express a preference.

The power will not use 1 of their 3 precious 1st round picks on him.

When they say "sit out of footy" they mean "sit out of footy". He wouldn't even be able to play for Old Xavs. Once he gets drafted by a club (eg Melbourne) he's bound to that club for 2 years. If he wants to play for another club in that time (eg Old Xavs) he'd have to seek a release from his AFL club. Do you honestly expect the club to do him any favours when he's refusing to play for them?

If he retires, he has no ties that stop him playing for Old Xavs. The VAFA are quite a fluid organization & quite ironically, are headed by an Old Xav. They would ensure Ball plays in their competition in 2010 if Ball headed that way.

If he retires, he has no ties that stop him playing for Old Xavs. The VAFA are quite a fluid organization & quite ironically, are headed by an Old Xav. They would ensure Ball plays in their competition in 2010 if Ball headed that way.
He can "retire", but he'll remain bound to the AFL club until a) the club decides to release (delist) him, or b) the 2 year binding period expires.

"Retiring" to get out of a contract, as executed by Mal Michael, won't solve his problem.

I have not rated Ball as a player for the last year or two and personally i think if a team other than the Pies are keen to use a good draft pick and pay this money hungry rat 500K per year, well they are fooling themselves.
Ball was a good footballer but he simply isnt anymore.

I think the saints offer of $1M over three years was very fair, notwithstanding his personal issues with Ross Lyon. However, I raise my hat to LB. The game is ruthless and good luck to the guy if he's in a position to pull a $500K per season contract for two years. I wouldn't call him a rat. Just market forces at play. I have no doubt the AFL players association will keep a close eye on the result as they will push for a form of free agency. My gut feel is that he will probably end up at Essendon, however if I were the dees I would select him. Stuff selecting kids - it's a weak draft and they have enough kids. Sometimes you need to select mature footballers who can provide you with immediate benefit.

PS Some have been critical of Ross Lyons treatment of LB. I'm not sure I share that view. Certainly I believe Ross L has been lenient on the likes of Raph Clarke (who is a major dud) but he has also been hard on other big name players who have not performed to their potential. He dropped Nicky Dal in 2008 for being a passenger and basically outlined what he needed to do to work his way back in the seniors. To his credit NDS put his head down, worked hard and was a better footballer as a result. At last we can say he's playing to his potential. So it's a tad unfair to say Ross Lyon has singled out LB for harsh treatment, though he should have given him more ground time in the GF.

Luke Ball is coming to collingwood. forget what you've heard from the herald sun or any newspaper, the media can be manipulated. the reasoning? luke ball wants to come to collingwood. the afl does not want free agency. essendon declares interest in luke ball. collingwood declares interest in andrew welsh. if essendon get luke ball, collingwood push for free agency because of the nick stevens incident and now the luke ball incident. so the afl do a deal with collingwood and essendon that essendon keep andrew welsh and receive something else, give collingwood luke ball and the afl avoid free agency. mick malthouse then comes out and says we should not push for free agency, andrew welsh signs a two year deal with essendon and an article comes out saying that luke ball has nominated essendon and collingwood as his two clubs, knowing full well essendon will not pick him.

Luke Ball is coming to collingwood. forget what you've heard from the herald sun or any newspaper, the media can be manipulated. the reasoning? luke ball wants to come to collingwood. the afl does not want free agency. essendon declares interest in luke ball. collingwood declares interest in andrew welsh. if essendon get luke ball, collingwood push for free agency because of the nick stevens incident and now the luke ball incident. so the afl do a deal with collingwood and essendon that essendon keep andrew welsh and receive something else, give collingwood luke ball and the afl avoid free agency. mick malthouse then comes out and says we should not push for free agency, andrew welsh signs a two year deal with essendon and an article comes out saying that luke ball has nominated essendon and collingwood as his two clubs, knowing full well essendon will not pick him.

what? essendon have already kept welsh. what could the afl possibly give us to pass on ball? strange post.

Woah, tinfoil hat much?

You obviously know very little about the VAFA. No way would he be permitted to play at Old Xavs, or any other team for that matter for the next two years. He will be a listed AFL player.

It's gonna be a really long off-season, folks.

Your current premiership window? So I guess I should be taking this "2012" movie seriously, as it appears the Mayans were right and the world does come to an end in three football seasons. :eek:

You do realise that players aren't drafted to achieve their potential in their first three years on a club list, don't you?

I suppose thats why we traded our first rounder, in the last draft before GC and WS get their concessions, for Lovett. We have an opportunity to win a flag for one or two more years then our playing list will need to be turned over. You do understand the principle of the draft and how it makes clubs rise and fall? Maybe also take into account my club is desperate for success having only one flag to our name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

spot on!

Essendon's main priority is re signing macphee,they have just offered Fletcher another three year deal.

To pay a player that is not a priority one million over 2 years will cause hassles in the playing ranks ,especially when they only offered macphee and welsh 2 year deals.

Macphee is probably figuring if you want me pay me more since the club is considering ball at i million for two years surely they can pay macphee 300 k for three years?or he walks.

Good on him.

Not saying I think they can fit him in or whether it'd be a good play (only in a few years will we know one way or the other) but nice to see a club not being intimidated by Ball's wishes and making decisions based on their needs, not his.

Ha ! This can easily backfire.It has been proved time and time again that when a club drafts aginst a players wishes the player concerned never plays to his potential.The player gets the bucks the club gets no reward
A most recent pick for brisbane........Johnson from Melbourne who was part of a three way trade to Brisbane has gone backwards.

What a lot of people on this board donot realise is in the future the AFL is going to expand with more clubs coming into existance hence more jobs for more players.

What are you on about?

This morning on SEN Andrew Maher,stated that Essendon have just offered Fletcher a contract extension of another THREE years.
Obviously knights doesn't have too much faith in the kids coming through.
Or believes some of your backmen need a lot of time to develop.

Don't shoot the messanger!

This morning on SEN Andrew Maher,stated that Essendon have just offered Fletcher a contract extension of another THREE years.
Obviously knights doesn't have too much faith in the kids coming through.
Or believes some of your backmen need a lot of time to develop.

Don't shoot the messanger!

That explains it.

Ha ! This can easily backfire.It has been proved time and time again that when a club drafts aginst a players wishes the player concerned never plays to his potential.The player gets the bucks the club gets no reward

Time and time again hey? Well then why don't you give us a list of these trades that have backfired?

A most recent pick for brisbane........Johnson from Melbourne who was part of a three way trade to Brisbane has gone backwards.

Travis Johnstone agreed to be traded to Brisbane, there hasn't been any reports that indicate he didn't want to go there. As for your suggestion that he has gone backwards, well that's debatable at best. I'm sure many Melbourne fans would suggest he has continued the same form that frustrated them

What a lot of people on this board donot realise is in the future the AFL is going to expand with more clubs coming into existance hence more jobs for more players.

Actually 99.99% of people on Bigfooty are actually aware that there are 2 additional teams entering the competition:rolleyes:. How is this relevant to Luke Ball?:confused:

You Collingwood guys make me laugh!:D:p

Fletcher has not been offered 3 years, he is on a year by year contract. Knights came out and said he hopes Fletcher could play for another 3 years, i.e. age 38. But most definitely no 3 year contract there.

The guys in the club know that if we are to introduce new people from other clubs, 3 years is the norm. Also its a $350,000/year contract for Ball (yes front laoded). McPhee is not a Luke Ball and would not claim to get the same, either is Welsh and half the others.

Relax Collingwood people. What will be will be.

Now that Ball has turned his back on St Kilda I'm happy wherever Ball ends up. Ross Lyon is a complete moron. No team likes to lose a favorite player but when faced with the alternative of receiving nothing it was a simple desicion for anyone with half their wits about them. Cost his side another mid range pick and a handy player.
Suck it up Lyon!

Now that Ball has turned his back on St Kilda I'm happy wherever Ball ends up. Ross Lyon is a complete moron. No team likes to lose a favorite player but when faced with the alternative of receiving nothing it was a simple desicion for anyone with half their wits about them. Cost his side another mid range pick and a handy player.
Suck it up Lyon!

Over the short term Saints got nothing. But not everyone considers only the short term goals. I think Lyon will have already sucked it up and got over it.

Ross Lyon came to StKilda and got the club to the level that they could perform like they did in 2009. What a moron eh! I wish the Saints had a smart coach, maybe we can sack Lyon and get Pagan or Wallace :rolleyes:

So what did the Sainters get out of it in the long term SaintsSeptember? Aside from showing his list how vulnerable they are?
Face it, Luke Ball deserved his choice of club, no less then Chris Judd deserved his choice. And yes most Pies supporters are bitter about most likely missing out on Bally because he is a top player and meets one of our needs. But it was all because some sad sad little man who underacheived in his own career, who didn't get offered above and beyond what could be considered a fair and equitable trade. If Ball goes for 25 or thereabouts our trade offered can be deemed as above market value and the Saints should reconsider who they send to the negotiate during trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back