Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

He’d be with us for 10 years. You’re going to have players clawing for cash in coming years while we’ll be cashed up with where our lists are at.
Good luck with that. Get another player and pay them the maximum of their value and you're stuffed if he doesn't reach his potential. Tim Kelly's contract was backloaded as was McGovern's. I know it's big footy so you can believe that I heard this from a reliable source or not. What Ive been told is that West Coast thought they were going to contend in the years before Kennedy and Hurn retire so the big money would be delayed until they thought that would happen. Ive also been told that most of Brad Sheppard's payout will happen next season due to salary cap restraints this year. That payment still goes on your salary cap.

Good luck with that. Get another player and pay them the maximum of their value and you're stuffed if he doesn't reach his potential. Tim Kelly's contract was backloaded as was McGovern's. I know it's big footy so you can believe that I heard this from a reliable source or not. What Ive been told is that West Coast thought they were going to contend in the years before Kennedy and Hurn retire so the big money would be delayed until they thought that would happen. Ive also been told that most of Brad Sheppard's payout will happen next season due to salary cap restraints this year. That payment still goes on your salary cap.
The only players on our list contracted beyond 2024 are Barrass, Kelly, Allen and Sheed. McGovern is in his final year next season. Weve got ample room to put a 5+ year contract on big bucks in front of Jackson. You can stop pretending otherwise

The only players on our list contracted beyond 2024 are Barrass, Kelly, Allen and Sheed. McGovern is in his final year next season. Weve got ample room to put a 5+ year contract on big bucks in front of Jackson. You can stop pretending otherwise
Its total bullshit that you have ample salary cap space. Your cap is in royal trouble next year due to how much you thought the previous couple of years would involve you contending so to keep the players together you back loaded contracts. Believe me or not as Im not phased but why on earth would any player change clubs to West Coast currently? Again. Zero chance Jackson would leave via the PSD and stuff over Melbourne to that extent.

Its total bullshit that you have ample salary cap space. Your cap is in royal trouble next year due to how much you thought the previous couple of years would involve you contending so to keep the players together you back loaded contracts. Believe me or not as Im not phased but why on earth would any player change clubs to West Coast currently? Again. Zero chance Jackson would leave via the PSD and stuff over Melbourne to that extent.
Luckily if we were to sign on a player like Jackson, he’d be signed on for a hell of a lot longer than just next year.

To be honest I don't think a quality player will ever trade clubs via the PSD ever again. Kurt Tippet was the last one to do it and he received death threats as a result and was quite open at the end of the career the effect his decision had on family and friends. To anyone saying otherwise Jack Martin was not a star player by any stretch when he entered the PSD and he's move has turned into a total disaster for Carlton while Dawson wasn't traded for nothing by any stretch as a future first from Melbourne was only slightly unders.
And that was after Carlton offered two seconds to GC and they decided theyd rather make a stand lol

I'm actually getting more and more comfortable with Jackson leaving, even though I don't think he will. We'll get at least 2 first rounders for him and can stock up our forward line/key defensive stocks with those picks.

But can Freo fans answer me this. Why would Jackson want to go to a club where he'd be playing 2nd ruck for the next 8 years? Darcy is slow and lumbering and can't play anywhere else so fair to assume Jackson wouldn't be given an opportunity as number 1 ruck.

I'm actually getting more and more comfortable with Jackson leaving, even though I don't think he will. We'll get at least 2 first rounders for him and can stock up our forward line/key defensive stocks with those picks.

But can Freo fans answer me this. Why would Jackson want to go to a club where he'd be playing 2nd ruck for the next 8 years? Darcy is slow and lumbering and can't play anywhere else so fair to assume Jackson wouldn't be given an opportunity as number 1 ruck.
Have you seen Darcy play as a full forward? 😅

Darcy is actually pretty competent when he goes forward. He can just park himself in the F50, be an immovable object and kick goals. 😆

I could see a situation where Jackson and Darcy both play Ruck/Forward in a 60/40 or 70/30 ruck arrangement. Darcy is clearly the better pure ruckman, but Jackson could chop out for him for significant periods of the game. I also think that Jackson will face the same issue (2nd ruck), regardless of where he plays his football because he's so versatile around the ground. This is a guy that has the scope to play as a 200cm mid.

Have you seen Darcy play as a full forward? 😅
yeah he's a great mark and good kick but a massive liability defensively.Whats the point in giving up multiple first rounders if you have to move Darcy out of the ruck to get the most out of Jackson? Makes little sense to me. Unless you play Jackson as a pure mid, which he could do.

I don't think he would want to, he will sign with Melbourne for this reason IMO

Seems to be working fine in tandem with Gawny at Melbourne.

You guys are up to your eyeballs with Jackson trust me, he won't make any decision I don't believe (least internally) until the finals

If he has not publicly announced he has signed on with the Dees by the time the finals start, he is Freo bound.

You guys are in a bigger chance than you think (although I do also think he could stay at the Dees, this is still something that is in flux/could go either way)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are up to your eyeballs with Jackson trust me, he won't make any decision I don't believe (least internally) until the finals

If he has not publicly announced he has signed on with the Dees by the time the finals start, he is Freo bound.

You guys are in a bigger chance than you think (although I do also think he could stay at the Dees, this is still something that is in flux/could go either way)
lol 'trust me'. based on none other than pure speculation :)

Gawn is 30, Darcy is 23. Big difference. There's a succession plan with Gawn. But with Darcy, he'll be 2nd ruck his whole career basically.

Just out of interest, why would he go to Freo?

Darcy's not much older than him, so he'll likely second fiddle to him for a long time, whereas he's only a couple of years away from No.1 at Melbourne.

Freo wouldn't likely have the currency to trade for him in the first place and they can't threaten PSD, because he'll just get taken by WCE.

For the record, I don't want WCE to make a play for him, because there's no real point right now. Just genuinely curious as to why/how people think Freo are an option for him, other than wanting to go home and play for a club that's likely to have a sustained run at a flag.

Makes more sense for him to stay at Melbourne for now and then leave when he's an RFA.

Just out of interest, why would he go to Freo?

Darcy's not much older than him, so he'll likely second fiddle to him for a long time, whereas he's only a couple of years away from No.1 at Melbourne.

Freo wouldn't likely have the currency to trade for him in the first place and they can't threaten PSD, because he'll just get taken by WCE.

For the record, I don't want WCE to make a play for him, because there's no real point right now. Just genuinely curious as to why/how people think Freo are an option for him, other than wanting to go home and play for a club that's likely to have a sustained run at a flag.

Makes more sense for him to stay at Melbourne for now and then leave when he's an RFA.
They're questions that Freo fans choose to gloss over lol. Or think in some crazy world that 2 picks in the teens would get the deal done. Quite laughable really. Melb fans wouldn't even want Andrew Brayshaw in a straight swap.

They're questions that Freo fans choose to gloss over lol. Or think in some crazy world that 2 picks in the teens would get the deal done. Quite laughable really. Melb fans wouldn't even want Andrew Brayshaw in a straight swap.
Because Melbourne will have to take what we can realisticaly get or risk him going to the eagles for nothing in PSD. When a player is out of contract you always take a little under. Look at Cerra. Was worth more than what we got but he was out of contract.

Because Melbourne will have to take what we can realisticaly get or risk him going to the eagles for nothing in PSD. When a player is out of contract you always take a little under. Look at Cerra. Was worth more than what we got but he was out of contract.
2 top 10 picks is unders. we'll be asking for 3 first rounders. The PSD threat doesn't happen anymore. 2 picks in the teens is like us offering 1 pick in the teens for Andrew Brayshaw. It's not 'a little enders', its a complete misread of the market.

2 top 10 picks is unders. we'll be asking for 3 first rounders. The PSD threat doesn't happen anymore. 2 picks in the teens is like us offering 1 pick in the teens for Andrew Brayshaw. It's not 'a little enders', its a complete misread of the market.
What do you think happens if he asks to leave as an uncontracted player, chooses Freo and Melbourne say our two first round picks and whatever Lobb is worth isnt enough?

lol 'trust me'. based on none other than pure speculation :)

Gawn is 30, Darcy is 23. Big difference. There's a succession plan with Gawn. But with Darcy, he'll be 2nd ruck his whole career basically.

Gawn could play for another 4-5 years. He's in his prime at age 30.

Legit has any player ever gone for 3 first rounders…. 2 being top 10 as you said.

What do you think happens if he asks to leave as an uncontracted player, chooses Freo and Melbourne say our two first round picks and whatever Lobb is worth isnt enough?
First of all. it wouldn't go like that. he'd say he wants to go to a WA club, and we'll say we can only deal with WCE as freo don't have the currency. Same as cerra who wanted to come to melbourne.

No idea why Lobb is being discussed. we don't want him.

no player to Jackson's value has ever been on offer for trade before. so your point is irrelevant.

Better players have been but not with his age profile. If Horne francis went, he'd also warrant 3 first rounders.
No offence but don't you think you are over valuing Jackson here. You are paying for potential, not what he is now. I agree he's worth 2 first rounders but realistically a team can only give the best that they can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back