Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think this trade might just be slightly overvaluing Jackson a little bit.

Brayshaw is 22 and equal 2nd in the coaches votes. Brayshaw is performing as a top 5 mid in the comp this year, why are we paying for Jackson as if he's guaranteed to be the best player in the league for a decade which is surely the only way you'd chuck in a 2nd rounder on top of a 22 yo top 5 mid...
Jack Crisp is top 6 - would you swap him for Darcy with nothing else thrown in?

He's 28 and 6 years older, massive difference. If Darcy was out of contract, Crisp was 6 years young, playing better than he currently is, contracted for another 3 years, and his clubs next captain, I'd think a direct swap for Darcy is as good as it can possibly get...

I thought you were a decent poster on this board but it turns out your are just another wind-up merchant.
Comparing Jack Crisp to AB - I’ve seen it all now!
I’ll tell you what - wouldn’t your own club love to swap LDU & Tarryn Thomas for Andy Brayshaw right now?
(And probably Simpkin too actually)

I thought you were a decent poster on this board but it turns out your are just another wind-up merchant.
Comparing Jack Crisp to AB - I’ve seen it all now!
I’ll tell you what - wouldn’t your own club love to swap LDU & Tarryn Thomas for Andy Brayshaw right now?
(And probably Simpkin too actually)

Coaches votes are being used as a pump up tool by the Freo posters. Who is worth more Brayshaw or Jackson?

Coaches votes are being used as a pump up tool by the Freo posters. Who is worth more Brayshaw or Jackson?

I would say Brayshaw. I have bias towards Freo.

A few reasons:

Similar age so that isn't a factor.
Brayshaw has proven more and had a greater number of top level games.
Jackson is based on potential, which isn't a guarantee.
Both should continue to improve for years yet.
Brayshaw is more consistent. And has built that consistency with a weaker team around him where he is forced to perform. We don't know how Jackson will go without Gawn.

Having said all of that Jackson looks like he has a very high ceiling. If he comes to us I would be very happy. If he comes for Brayshaw I wouldn't be happy. More of a numb disappointment. Not that we got Jackson, more that we lost Brayshaw.

I would say Brayshaw. I have bias towards Freo.

A few reasons:

Similar age so that isn't a factor.
Brayshaw has proven more and had a greater number of top level games.
Jackson is based on potential, which isn't a guarantee.
Both should continue to improve for years yet.
Brayshaw is more consistent. And has built that consistency with a weaker team around him where he is forced to perform. We don't know how Jackson will go without Gawn.

Having said all of that Jackson looks like he has a very high ceiling. If he comes to us I would be very happy. If he comes for Brayshaw I wouldn't be happy. More of a numb disappointment. Not that we got Jackson, more that we lost Brayshaw.
I mean, there is no scenario in any world we get rid of Brayshaw to bring in Jackson. It was a ridiculous suggestion in the first place, numb disappointment? I'd demand Bell and whoever else signed off on that trade resign, I'd be beyond furious.

The whole Brayshaw vs Jackson value is really pretty interesting, BF (and I'm sure that includes me at some point) seems to value potential over acutal performances. Brayshaw has already taken the step up to genuine elite player, maybe in two years, Luke Jackson will make the same step up, but he might not so how can we value unproven MAYBE top 5 player over a proven top 5 mid when they are still young?

To answer your question specifically all things the same, I'd imagine there would be no difference in their value because both are worth the max a teams trade which seems to be two good firsts with a 2nd back, and, if I'm being honest, given Jackson hasnt set the world on fire this year, that seems mighty generous.

Brayshaw (or Serong) is Freo's next captain.. Under no circumstances are they trading him, not for any other player in the league.

It sucks for Melbourne they will get unders for Jackson if he joins Freo, but that is footy

I felt Freo got unders for Cerra, but it looks like they hit on an absolute winner in Amiss,
and this year's draft has some real good KPF depth, so it may not be as bad for The Dees if they lose Jackson

I mean, there is no scenario in any world we get rid of Brayshaw to bring in Jackson. It was a ridiculous suggestion in the first place, numb disappointment? I'd demand Bell and whoever else signed off on that trade resign, I'd be beyond furious.

The whole Brayshaw vs Jackson value is really pretty interesting, BF (and I'm sure that includes me at some point) seems to value potential over acutal performances. Brayshaw has already taken the step up to genuine elite player, maybe in two years, Luke Jackson will make the same step up, but he might not so how can we value unproven MAYBE top 5 player over a proven top 5 mid when they are still young?

To answer your question specifically all things the same, I'd imagine there would be no difference in their value because both are worth the max a teams trade which seems to be two good firsts with a 2nd back, and, if I'm being honest, given Jackson hasnt set the world on fire this year, that seems mighty generous.

I completely agree. I would want heads to roll. It was just in terms of a ridiculous scenario, which I assume would have to include Andy asking to leave. If it was suggested without him wanting to leave I would be right with you.

There are players each year who show a heap of potential and look like they could be top players in their position in the league. Not many make it. I have gone early on Chapman in my belief he will be a gun A grader. I think his ceiling is as high as anyone. Despite that strong belief at the moment Brayshaw is worth considerably more.

I wouldn't be so sure.

That offer would get laughed out the door. Two late teen picks is nowhere near enough and Lobb has little value.

Serong won't be traded either.

Don't be silly, Jackson is a gun, bur Freo are not under any obligation to give up a significant piece of their future for an out of contract player
This is a very good draft to have a extra first round pick in btw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be so sure.

That offer would get laughed out the door. Two late teen picks is nowhere near enough and Lobb has little value.
Then you haven't seen Lobb play this year. He does way more than his stats show and he's also been very good in the ruck. He'd have trade value of a mid second with perhaps a later pick coming back to a contending team in his current form. i agree that two first rounders if our season continues the way it has so one would be a late first rounder wouldn't get the deal done if paired with Lobb. Ive bee told that Rory wants to see his contract now anyway and he's got his love playing for Freo back by a workmate who deals with Freo. If Jackson wants to come home he could be better off signing a two year contract anyway and then with two years development he could have proven how good he will be and a big money offer will come. Currently after a strong start and getting Covid his form has dropped in recent times but he would still demand a very big trade. I agree two first rounders wouldn't be even close to getting it done if Lobb wanted to stay. Something or someone very significant would have to want to go to Melbourne for a trade to happen this year.

So would Melbourne rather West Coast pick him up for nothing in PSD then?
There is no chance that would happen. West Coast is sorting through massive salary cap issues and Jackson isn't the type to leave his club for nothing. I know a few people who have had a lot to do with him in his basketball days. The whole family is big on loyalty. Plus Kelly and McGovern already are getting paid around 2 million combined next year. A third player on massive money in an extended contract would cause even more issues for them.

High ceiling no doubt, but has his last month been pretty average? Gawn obviously taking most of the ruck work and dominating but haven’t noticed Jackson much.

If we had pick 6 we'd be giving that and more for Jackson. We can only give what we have and if melb don't like that they risk losing him for nothing. I'm sure they'd rather take two picks in the teens than nothing.
That's still not true no matter how many times people say it. They don't risk losing him for nothing as he'll resign with Melbourne for the short term rather than go to West Coast and try to get to Freo at a later date. Jackson already has a heap of players he knows after training with Freo players the last two off seasons and knowing Andrew Brayshaw through his brother as well as Serong and Young from his junior days. He's also an absolute competitive beast who's highly driven to win according to some of the people I know who had a bit too with him in his basketball days. He'll want to play with a team who has a high chance of success and won't settle for wasting years playing for a team rebuilding.

That's still not true no matter how many times people say it. They don't risk losing him for nothing as he'll resign with Melbourne for the short term rather than go to West Coast and try to get to Freo at a later date. Jackson already has a heap of players he knows after training with Freo players the last two off seasons and knowing Andrew Brayshaw through his brother as well as Serong and Young from his junior days. He's also an absolute competitive beast who's highly driven to win according to some of the people I know who had a bit too with him in his basketball days. He'll want to play with a team who has a high chance of success and won't settle for wasting years playing for a team rebuilding.
I personally think he should re-sign for the short term regardless. I don't think he'll be the player to unlock a premiership for this team; he'll be a nice bonus but I am not willing to give up a single one of our young talent to get him/to get the picks to trade for him at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back