Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Not trying to undersell Hanners' value, some of his handballs tonight were champagne touches. I just feel that Parker at this point in time would be a bigger out if he were to miss next week hypothetically.
No question that his form is red hot at the moment. And if you had to pick between them for next week, most would choose Parker. But Hanners could easily pop up with a BOG performance. He has shown he can be a big game player. Thankfully, we don't need to choose.

What was everybody thinking when they let him slide to pick 40?
I believe the major crosses that recruiters put down on his draft profile were his poor kicking, slow pace and lack of an outside game. While I certainly wouldn't place him in the elite bracket in those first 2 categories, I think it's been overstated and he's no worse than the average AFL player in those areas. And he's certainly improve his outside game since joining the Swans which is no surprise because it is a particular focus for Longmire.

I feel sometimes it's easy to get caught up in what a player lacks rather than emphasising his strengths. If you have a look at his junior highlight reel - the physicality, the inside work, the work rate, the contested marking and goalkicking were all there. It's crazy that he dropped down to pick 40.

I wanted him at Port the year he was drafted. Can't remember what year that was or who we drafted instead but I do know that Parker is better.
I remember clearly for us. Were in need of inside mids and was praying we'd pick Parker with our first rounder but we went pitt. Then crossed fingers that we'd get him with our second but Sydney grabbed him the pick before or something despite their ton of existing inside mids. Nearly spewed.

Was 2010. I remember it well. We don't have a single player from that nd on our list now.

Ballantyne for starters. See the main AA thread for plenty of other suggestions.

Parker is the complete player for us now. Hard nosed inside player, good on the outside, great two way runner, great tackler and strong hands overhead. Kicks goals as well. Recruiting gem.
You do realise that Parker has only scored 22 goals in 23 games this season, there would have been quite the uproar if he'd gotten the forward pocket spot over Betts and Ballantyne both who scored around 50 goals.

I just don't get how he slipped so far in the draft, absolute gun. Was touted highly and seemed like every bloke and his dog on Bigfooty wanted to draft him. What weaknesses did he have at junior level that made him so undraftable? Perceptions that he didn't have much improvement because he was ready made?

If Sydney win the Grand Final next weekend and Luke Parker pips Kennedy and Franklin for the Bob Skilton Medal, then he'll draw level with Josh Gibson as the unluckiest AA candidate of recent times. Because that's what happened to Gibson last year.

Also Sam Mitchell in 2012 - the Hawks finished on top of the ladder with a percentage of 154%, and won 15 of their last 17 games by an average margin of 65 points - they were clearly the most dominant team for the bulk of the home and away season. Mitchell was clearly their best player and won his 4th B&F and was runner up in the Brownlow with 26 votes - but the geniuses on the AA selection panel thought Collingwood had 3 better midfielders than Mitchell - Pendlebury and Swan were both named on the bench, but struggled with injuries during the middle of the year. Very generous of the selectors to name both of them.

Actually, Gibson was also robbed of AA in 2011 when the Hawks won 18 games and Gibbo was a close 2nd in the B&F (behind Sam Mitchell, who polled 30 votes in the Brownlow.) So Luke Parker would need to be robbed twice by the AA selectors before he joins Joshy-woshy as the unluckiest AA candidate of recent times.

Was Luke Parker tagged once in 2014? Honest question. Not trying to be smart. Cos it seemed to me like opposition coaches let him run wild in many games. That's the beauty of the Swans midfield -who do you tag - they're all very good, damaging mids.

8 :(

Modified Dog, you raise some good points.

For starters, I think there is a case for a review of the All-Australian selection process. It seems players have to build a reputation before they can be selected for the All-Australian position. Pendlebury - I agree - was very lucky not only in the year you mentioned but also this year. If it was out of Pendlebury, Gibbs and Parker - Parker should have got the position. It isn't just about the number of possessions - it is about when you get them and the impact of them. I remember Parker single-handedly demolishing Adelaide earlier in the year for example. The process was repeated in other matches.

His game last night was a wake up call for the All-Australian selectors and the process of selection.

Alternatively, Parker should have made selection if Heppell wasn't selected and/or Rockliff. Heppell I wouldn't have chosen for reasons I cannot discuss on this board. That would have made way for Pendlebury on the wing. Either way, Parker was a definite All-Australian this year.

Last edited:
Really seems like Pendlebury and Selwood will automatically make the AA team for 9/10 seasons. Instead of having to play their way into the team, they'd have to play their way out of it. I had Parker on my bench so I can't protest too greatly that he should've been in the team but I think there's a little egg on the faces of selectors. Reminds me of when they snubbed Pav in 2012 for Hawkins and then in the elimination final, Pav annihilated Hawkin's Geelong for all the selectors to see. One of the biggest AA **** ups of all time.

Anyway really happy for the guy. I still place Kennedy, Mcveigh and Hannebery ahead of him but if he can replicate this season again next year and use the ball a little better by foot (his clearances occasionally go to opposition), then that may change. Scary to think he is 21 and 2 years behind Hannebery in development.

He'll be a Brownlow Medalist before he retires in my opinion. I already had big wraps for him before last night but watching him live last night his class seemed to increase more. Was a terrific pack mark that he took in the second quarter as well.

Obviously the key for the Swans now is keeping the Victorian clubs away from him because they will chase his signature and chase hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question, Do you watch football?

Thanks for the patronising post, Sunshine.

Watch it, played it, coached it.

In the AA thread I actually said Parker should have edged out Pendlebury on the bench.

I didn't mean straight swap for Ballas (although selectors regularly choose mids in the forward pocket) but that many questioned Ballas selection at all. Let's not derail this. It's in the AA thread already.

the sky's the limit for this guys, he has very few weaknesses. the most impressive thing about him is that you know he will kick those clutch goals when it matters, thats a big game player for me

Thanks for the patronising post, Sunshine.

Watch it, played it, coached it.

In the AA thread I actually said Parker should have edged out Pendlebury on the bench.

I didn't mean straight swap for Ballas (although selectors regularly choose mids in the forward pocket) but that many questioned Ballas selection at all. Let's not derail this. It's in the AA thread already.

Pendles had a down year by his standard but his stats were actually still outstanding, and regularly carried the Pies, whilst getting tagged every week. As others have said, opponents' attention usually goes to stopping JPK and Hannebery before Parker. So it's a 5050 call really

Ballantyne scored 50 goals as a small fwd so I don't know how you can question his selection.

Didnt see the media make much of it...but last week in the QF was one of the season highlights in the middle. Nobody saw it coming.
Fyfe and Parker on each other for long stretches of the game and it was brilliant.
Broke about even..and on paper i wouldnt have given Parker much of a chance. Maybe Fyfe a fraction better.
Think i might have been in a slight denial mode that he had come this far.

Of course now that we've all pumped up his tyres he probably wont even be spotted in the grannie, especially with someone like Cornes or Boak on him.

Did u see what i did there ?:p
Sweatin time :p

Pendles had a down year by his standard but his stats were actually still outstanding, and regularly carried the Pies, whilst getting tagged every week. As others have said, opponents' attention usually goes to stopping JPK and Hannebery before Parker. So it's a 5050 call really

Ballantyne scored 50 goals as a small fwd so I don't know how you can question his selection.

You can't fit everyone in and its subjective. I get it. Parker had a fantastic year so just grasping for options to fit him in.

Matthews said it best last night. "He's had an AA year but who do you leave out".

I know you usually need a few quality seasons in a row to get picked so I know he'll feature a few times in his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back