Lynch's charge

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people calling it gutless and a dog act? He had no time to avoid contact as he'd already jumped into the air, he was obviously going for the ball as well.

Lynch's natural reaction to the incoming impact was to protect himself. If anyone actually thinks that Lynch of all people had time to think through the situation and choose to put his knee up so that he would purposefully hurt Smith is just plain deluded.
He wasn't late, he was very late. If you reckon he didn't have time to avoid that contact, you must think he takes 20 minutes to tie his shoelaces.

and if it was Archer it wouldn't have attracted anything...right?

lol...Goodes raises him forearm and Lynch raises his knee and both opponents get it in the back, I'm really surprised that you think there is a difference in outcomes. :eek:
there is a clear difference.

one will be properly interpreted as a charge.
one was incorrectly, and stupidly interpreted as a charge, which was challenged and downgraded to a correct interpretation as a strike.

It was in play, and body contact. Debatables are impact and intent. The options-

Negligent/medium impact would be 1 activation point
Negligent/high impact, or Reckless/medium impact would be 2 activation points
Reckless/high impact would be 3 activation points.

With a plea of guilty, 3 activation points for a charge would get him a 1 weeker, anything else would be nothing. Hence, 0-1 weeks. Bias hat on, I think this is negligent- was in the air when the marking contest began, made a ill advised decision to put his knees up.

Only thing I'm not sure about is Lynch's record- he certainly doesn't have any carry over points, but I vaguely recall him being cited for a charge against Hawthorn a couple of years ago, I don't think he was suspended though- if not, he gets a further 25% discount, in which case there is just no way he can get a suspension here- would need to be reckless/severe or intentional/high or something.

Random question- if player A and Player B are both charged with an identical offence, Player A is a 100kg monster and Player B is a 70kg rookie, should that be relevant to intent? Ie, should Lynch's action be considered reckless because he is big enough to do more damage?

Wasn't much in it. I highly doubt he tried to deliberately knee Smith in the back, he can not think that smart nor is he a dirty footballer. Great courage shown by Smith and a great goal.

It was in play, and body contact. Debatables are impact and intent. The options-

Negligent/medium impact would be 1 activation point
Negligent/high impact, or Reckless/medium impact would be 2 activation points
Reckless/high impact would be 3 activation points.

With a plea of guilty, 3 activation points for a charge would get him a 1 weeker, anything else would be nothing. Hence, 0-1 weeks. Bias hat on, I think this is negligent- was in the air when the marking contest began, made a ill advised decision to put his knees up.

Only thing I'm not sure about is Lynch's record- he certainly doesn't have any carry over points, but I vaguely recall him being cited for a charge against Hawthorn a couple of years ago, I don't think he was suspended though- if not, he gets a further 25% discount, in which case there is just no way he can get a suspension here- would need to be reckless/severe or intentional/high or something.

Random question- if player A and Player B are both charged with an identical offence, Player A is a 100kg monster and Player B is a 70kg rookie, should that be relevant to intent? Ie, should Lynch's action be considered reckless because he is big enough to do more damage?
there is always a different interpretation, especially the question "did it hurt?".

100kg monster will be frowned upon, while a 70kg rookie will be looked at differently, perhaps favourably.

such a gutless act. though what we all have to remember here, is lynch is probably the dumbest bloke in the AFL, a point i think they could use to argue at the tribunal for why he did it. he probably did think he was a chance to mark the ball and so jumped - whereas every other normal human would've realised that they were no chance to get to the ball.

Lynch jumped as the fella's hands hit the ball, was never going to make it. dumb lynch didnt even try to spoil.

useless

2 weeks

next!

He was protecting himself when you jump you put your arms out and he stupidly raised his knees but given thumping dsomeone in the face means you still get off anything could happen to him. 2 weeks or nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A dockers fan talking about gutless acts given the jellyfishes playing for that team who haven't won any silver in so long the trophy cabinet at Freo Oval hasn't even been built.

Remember the last game your players really bled for the ex coach didn't they send him off with a stirring performance wasn't it? Win something Freo other than a Derby and then ppl like me will give a sh##t.

Putting the knees up was the bit that really annoyed me. Very very dangerous given most players protect themselves with their arms, and right into the middle of Smith's back.

Probably won't get anything but.

I don't think it was deliberate but it was pretty dumb.

He needs to be a bit more careful than that - I think probably a week.

Props to young Smith for putting his body on the line. Efforts like that are part of the reason why the Kangaroos will be playing finals this year.

I'd be surprised if he didn't cop a week for that. He is not a dirty player though, that was just clumsiness.

and your view is abviously biased.

If you look closely Lynch knew he had absolute no chance of making the marking contest, so stuck the knee out like the dog that he is.

Disgraceful. Piss weak

I thought it was off the ground when I saw it. I also think it was reckless and he deserves a week. However there was no mallace involved and calling him a dog is just stupid. If you actually follow the eagles, you would know that he lifts his knees a lot when taking a mark.

Glad the player hit was ok. It looked serious at first.

The free kick, fifty, goal and the fact the player (Smith) got up and continued to play should help lynch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lynch's charge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back