News Lyon: Cats will play off for flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiss of death as far as I'm concerned, I reckon we're buggered for sure now. Also tipped Kurt Tippet for the Coleman last year incredibly. Lyon generally has a begrudging if not anti Geelong attitude too, so I find it surprising. Would have been much easier to go with the general "the era has passed" viewpoint.

Kiss of death as far as I'm concerned, I reckon we're buggered for sure now. Also tipped Kurt Tippet for the Coleman last year incredibly. Lyon generally has a begrudging if not anti Geelong attitude too, so I find it surprising. Would have been much easier to go with the general "the era has passed" viewpoint.

This. Quite baffling his change of stance.

Very sarcasitic in recent years re anything Geelong, so in my opinion don't care what he thinks, he probably wants to build us for a fall, knowing Lyon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what's the record for first year coaches getting into gf's? Blight? Ayres? any others? happened twice at Geelong that I'm aware of

Blighty also coached the crows to two flags in his first two years in charge. There are others that have contested in gfs in perhaps not their first year but not long after (Lyon at St Kilda, Malthouse at West Coast).

But in the topic. I'm also of the opinion that we'll be in the mix again this year. With all factors considered (injuries, the ablett fiasco, the light preseason and complacency) when we fired on all cylinders we were still the length of the straight at Flemington racecourse ahead of the other contenders outside the top four. Perhaps when Carltons game clicked they were able to run on top of us and our rivalry with Hawthorn always makes for good games.

With a new coach and a new attitude, there's definitely a possibility that we'll be able to get the same, if not more output from the senior players in the short term. Couple this with another year of development from the draft picks from 2005-08 and another preseason into the brand new boys.

I strongly agree with the notion that we have averted a possible period of stagnation that may have set in had Thompson continued and the same practices were employed. As I've said before, I think we've detected the rot early enough to make some courageous calls such as installing Scott as coach. Add sound administration, a strong supporter base and experience and the glass is still looking half full, depending on which way you look at it

For a start, the words "respected football analyst" should never be uttered together as there aren't any football analysts, let alone respected ones. And Lyon is so clairvoyant he predicted us to finish last in 2007.

Yeah, he really knows his footy. Assclown.

What a cranky old fart you have become pear tree.

I agree Gary is over the top with his remarks but he would have more football knowledge in his little finger than you would in your entire body.

He was a great on field leader for the Dees. Puts back heaps into junior footy by coaching and other stuff and would know Chris Scott's capabilities having coached him in international games.

Grow up.

Lyon has taken the dissenting view, and one of the reasons seems to be the belife he has in new coach Chris Scott.

spellcheck anyone?? ;)

I agree with Lyons in theory but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let the Cats prove themselves because if they fall into old mindsets then their is no way we can make the GF let alone win it.

Lyons is spot on that the indicators are there that the Cats could rebound strongly this year. But I will reserve judgement until I see them actually play against a team that wants to beat them. That tries all the frontal pressure techniques that has had our team stuffed in 2010. When I see how they handle that then I will make my mind up.

spellcheck anyone?? ;)

I agree with Lyons in theory but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let the Cats prove themselves because if they fall into old mindsets then their is no way we can make the GF let alone win it.

Lyons is spot on that the indicators are their that the Cats could rebound strongly this year. But I will reserve judgement until I see them actually play against a team that wants to beat them. That tries all the frontal pressure techniques that has had our team stuffed in 2010. When I see how they handle that then I will make my mind up.

We shall speak 10pm Friday 25 March,I hope the news will be good:thumbsu:

In 1988, Alan Joyce won both Premierships (night Grand Final vs. Geelong) and Day vs. Melbourne. 2/2 is not bad.

In 1989 and 1990, Alan Jeans coached the Hawks.

In 1991, Alan Joyce won both Premierships (night Grand Final vs. North Melbourne) and Day vs. West Coast. 4/4 is fairly good.

In 1992, Alan Joyce won the Preseason Grand Final vs. Fitzroy which gave him 5/5 premierships.

However it all went downhill from there and after the 1993 season with a record of 2 Day Premierships, 3 night premierships from 4 seasons or 5/8 competitions entered he was sacked.

In 1988, Alan Joyce won both Premierships (night Grand Final vs. Geelong) and Day vs. Melbourne. 2/2 is not bad.

In 1989 and 1990, Alan Jeans coached the Hawks.

In 1991, Alan Joyce won both Premierships (night Grand Final vs. North Melbourne) and Day vs. West Coast. 4/4 is fairly good.

In 1992, Alan Joyce won the Preseason Grand Final vs. Fitzroy which gave him 5/5 premierships.

However it all went downhill from there and after the 1993 season with a record of 2 Day Premierships, 3 night premierships from 4 seasons or 5/8 competitions entered he was sacked.

Puts Cricket Australia and the current selectors into perspective!

Talk about a kiss of death... although Lyon did correctly predict Hawthorn's downfall at the start of 2009.

He also picked Hawthorn to win the 2008 Grand Final before the game, and again at half time.

The odds on you guys making the GF are the best in a few years... why not load up?

What a cranky old fart you have become pear tree.

I agree Gary is over the top with his remarks but he would have more football knowledge in his little finger than you would in your entire body.

He was a great on field leader for the Dees. Puts back heaps into junior footy by coaching and other stuff and would know Chris Scott's capabilities having coached him in international games.

Grow up.

How long have you been reading these forums? I've been cranky since I was 16 and I'm not stopping now.

Yes, how dare anyone dare voice dissent about the opinions of opposition ex-players. They do after all know all.

And thank you for your final polite suggestion, but as this forum is about opinions and the right to express them, I'm going to treat it with the utter contempt it deserves.

How long have you been reading these forums? I've been cranky since I was 16 and I'm not stopping now.

Yes, how dare anyone dare voice dissent about the opinions of opposition ex-players. They do after all know all.

And thank you for your final polite suggestion, but as this forum is about opinions and the right to express them, I'm going to treat it with the utter contempt it deserves.

Exactly, pear tree. That's what I was doing. My opinion is your football knowledge is below par and light years behind Gary Lyon's, who you pissed on with a kiddy snipe.

One thing, you've managed to maintain your 16 y.o level and not only in crankiness. Well done you.:p

Remove this Banner Ad

News Lyon: Cats will play off for flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back