News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been too harsh on Mackay. Clearly the club use a number of metrics to measure performance, fan engagement for one. The club loves Mackay's ability to engage with the fans, all those balls he sends flying into the crowd really adds to the gameday atmosphere.

I remember watching draft night and screaming at the TV when we selected Gallucci, really wanted Will Hayward or Brandan Parfitt (both of which now look like 200+ game players) at the time. Look at the names that went in the next 20 picks.. Still burns. Really poor selection.

1605246066890.png

Does actually, he's taking a spot of a younger faster better tackling recruit we could have had. Sums up the AFC.
See, again normally I’d agree. However this year we are already geating rid of 10 list spots and are bringing in at least 8 kids, which is honestly max for one year. We will be doing similar next year, which means more than 50% of our list changing in 2 years, and there will be more hard decisions next year. Almost definitely Tex, Dmac and Tom Lynch will go as well as others.

the other point is that we are Looking like using all our available picks, so bringing in a kid for Mackay would be at pick 70 or something, and maybe we just don’t see any AFL standard kids available at that point.

I remember watching draft night and screaming at the TV when we selected Gallucci, really wanted Will Hayward or Brandan Parfitt (both of which now look like 200+ game players) at the time. Look at the names that went in the next 20 picks.. Still burns. Really poor selection.

View attachment 1011003

Unfortunate, but it does happen sometimes with drafting/developing.

I am hopeful we're still going to retain Gooch in the PSD, there is definitely a very good player there, somewhere in his makeup and one, seeing how quickly he is recovering, i'm not ready to give up on just yet.

View attachment 1011003

Pretty high success rate from pick 16 through to 29 in that draft. Lots of quality players went in that zone

View attachment 1011003
Crickey that list is an indictment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ONE

MORE

YEAR

2c0wx9.gif

View attachment 1011003
I was hoping pre-draft for SPP.

You mean the ones that don't indulge in hyperbole and actually show some common sense?
A career where he averages 9 kicks and 8 handballs a season isnt a great career- those are 1-2-3 year player numbers . His best year by average was 2018 - 10 years after he started when he managed an amazing 10.6 kicks and 6 handballs to - oh wait - again average 17 disposals.

He is flat out average and the only thing you can say is he is consistent - but as noted if thats a measure of what you want to teach your incoming group then thats a fail for me

Someone mentioned Giansiracusa - he also averaged under 18 disposals a year but he had 5 seasons of 20+ a game

David Mackay is not a requirement

Unpopular opinion but wanted to post. As much as I understand why people don't agree with it, I see why the decision was made. List sizes have shrunk and we'll have a very young side next year as it is. DMac is as durable/reliable as they come, whereas the Gooch probably won't be able to even play a game until may next year, so can't carry that.

For me the question is how they use him. Do they finally only use him when needed or do they still play him above development.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Also unpopular opinion. I think Mackay suits Nicks gutrunning gameplan/style. I don’t like the fact that he takes game time off a junior but in a rebuilding side...his attitude, preparation and experience is valuable.
I can understand the clubs view and I can live with it.

View attachment 1011003
C'mon guess who I wanted? Haha.

C'mon guess who I wanted? Haha.
Same Player I wanted who went at Pick 17, Jarrod Berry

You can spin it however you like, but the reality is that we jettisoned three guys in their early 20's to keep a 32 y.o. midfielder. And not a former elite, no, a midfielder who has like one career Brownlow vote to his name. I like Mackay (the person) but this was the wrong call.

Ah that classic argument! I thought people had a better understanding of mental health these days and the impacts of social media for people with a high profile. Some can block it out, some can’t, doesn’t make them any less of a person for feeling upset at some of the vile that gets sprouted by randoms on social media about you because of your chosen career.

I don’t think anything in this thread in crossing the mark, but it certainly does on other social media platforms.

Hence the "I" statement.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back