News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I'm disappointed that Gooch has been dropped, DMac has the dedication and commitment that needs to be passed onto the next generation. He is actually a good person to have around in a rebuild, and his 2020 was decent in the grand scheme of things.

Probably didn't do enough in previous years to warrant extensions, but I think a good decision for this year.

Glimpses. Shown Glimpses. And publicly has his work ethic called into question.

Mookay will be depth next year, unless new players coming in don't step up for length of time and then he'll come in.

If you're narrow-minded enough to think that a club gives a player 230 games 'just for the fun of it' or because they love trolling 'Mutineer' from the Big Footy pages, then I'm not sure there's much helping you.

Reward for performances, and Mookay has shown it in spades this season. From the sounds of it you're the one that's wanting to reward mediocrity, which is exactly how I would define Galluci since arriving at the club.

Reward those performances all the way down to the wooden spoon and beyond!

If as some people are suggesting we're keen on Caleb Poulter he could come in and play the outside role Mackay plays from round 1 2021.....and has serious weapons outside of his speed, can someone tell me apart from outside speed what does David actually offer?

Does he even have that much speed? He isn't slow, but I also wouldn't say he is fast either.

Does he even have that much speed? He isn't slow, but I also wouldn't say he is fast either.
It's the one thing he does well....find space and link up occasionally and he's certainly above average pace wise as far as AFL players go.

Well so far no one has been able to provide me with any other evidence to refute my claim

If he's not the worst 200 game player in AFL history, then who is? Give me some other names
He's not even the worst 200 game player at Adelaide. I'd consider Reilly and Doughty to be lesser players. Also, while Van Berlo was a much better player in his prime, he was probably lucky to get to 200 in the end.

Read 5 posts in the first 9/10 pages - wonder how long it took for the

"you know I was really angry at the club about Mackay, but having thought about it I can see what the club is trying to achieve " posts to show up

You mean the ones that don't indulge in hyperbole and actually show some common sense?

Ah, there is the classic Adelaide ******* up the easy decisions that we've become known for since 2017 (and probably beforehand).

Imagine being like "yo, we're in a rebuild, we absolutely need to retain a 32 year old whose embodied the word mediocre throughout his whole career". Just a terrible decision all round.

Can't get rid of all the old guys in a rebuild!

As much as I'm disappointed that Gooch has been dropped, DMac has the dedication and commitment that needs to be passed onto the next generation. He is actually a good person to have around in a rebuild, and his 2020 was decent in the grand scheme of things.

Probably didn't do enough in previous years to warrant extensions, but I think a good decision for this year.

Nothing about Dmac should be passed on. Our valuing of what he brings is a culture that needs to be driven from the club.

He's in the conversation

2 AA > 0 AA

David Mackay wishes he had a career as good as Leon Davis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the one thing he does well....find space and link up occasionally and he's certainly above average pace wise as far as AFL players go.

Yeah, I guess that is fair to say. Perhaps it is just my own nightmares remembering what he usually does with the ball after finding space. Slotting a behind or firing off a worm burner out on the full.

Agreed, but if we’re under salary cap pressure at the moment then we’re doing it very very wrong...
Why would anyone automatically think he would be on the minimum wage....he's been retained on the main list not the rookie list.
I/d be reasonably confident he's not on even close to the minimum wage.

Being an All Australian immediately removes you from any conversation of worst 200 game player. He has an industry-recognized accolade

Leon Davis - 2x All Australian
Michael Doughty - at least 4 top 10 finishes and two top 5 at the Adelaide B&F (versus 1 for Mackay)
Daniel Giansiracusa - club leading goal kicker, twice
Shaun McManus - 42 Brownlow votes vs 1
Leigh Brown - more Brownlow votes as a key position player
Ryan Houlihan - at least 3 top 10 finishes at the B&F
Adam McPhee - All Australian
Heath Scotland - won a B&F
Jason Blake - at least 3 top 10 finishes at the B&F
Brent Reilly - at least 2 B&F top 10 finishes

1605242956247.png

Yeah, I guess that is fair to say. Perhaps it is just my own nightmares remembering what he usually does with the ball after finding space. Slotting a behind or firing off a worm burner out on the full.
Haha, it's a wonder crows dude hasn't posted that infamous gif of him steaming into goal under no pressure and ****ing it up from 30 out.

Can't get rid of all the old guys in a rebuild!

You cannot, however, you can certainly get rid of all of the old mediocre guys in a rebuild.

David Mackay is not the difference between us getting through this period unscathed or us failing this rebuild because Mackay is not good enough of a footballer to make that difference. After all, that's why you keep the older guys, to make sure you're not getting belted week in week out.

If you want to talk about people we should be keeping who are on the older side/unlikely to be around when we're competing, you're talking about your Talia, Laird, Matt Crouch, now Lynch (seeing how finished Tex is as a footballer) etc, players with obvious value on field. Mackay is just us pissing away a list spot because we're a very stupid club, and if there is anything that has been constantly reinforced in the past few years, it's we're a very stupid club.

Even if you want to argue Mackay is a cultural selection falls down when our culture has been rather shithouse for the past decade. Look at the people leaving and how arrogant we got in 2016-2017 despite having done nothing at that point before imploding. Our culture isn't one worth saving.

Mackay is my number one whipping boy, but he has performed better than all that were delisted. He deserved that extra year even if we all hate it, and think Gallucci should have got it but he's injured and obviously has some mental issues to deal with.
Mackay will also play more than 10 games next season.

Sure, it's a fair analysis in some respects, but I can see a reason to go either way. I certainly don't see the outcome as being SO UNBALANCED as to cause some of the melts we're seeing on here, from grown men and women (are there any women here?). A sad indictment on so called 'supporters'
The worst kind of Adelaide supporter are those who use the phrase “so called supporters”.

They’re the worst Jerry, the worst.

Mentoring young players

Im DMac's biggest on field critic however off field he is professional in the way he prepares and trains

If he is used as break glass only and can help mentor such a young group on AFL standards in terms of preparation and training then Im not going to die in the ditch on retaining him for next year

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
But we’ve been saying that for years now.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back