Make Patty Mills our new No. 1 Ticket Holder!

Remove this Banner Ad

Basketball:
220px-Basketball_Goal.jpg

Baseball:
300px-Wrigley_field_720.jpg
Baseketball:
baseketball_field_2.jpg

Just wondering why people hate Hewitt so much? Yes he is a tosser on court but that is what has made him great. It is the fact that he has that passionate dog inside of him. If it wasn't for that he wouldn't have won half of the games he has. It is this that has helped him be our most succesful Aus player in the Davis Cup. Something some of you may not realise but when Hewitt plays in away tournaments, Wimbledon/US/French, he will meet up with the "Fanatics" and shout them beers. I think you all need to realise that he has matured. I'm sure if you reached number 1 in the world at 19 yrs old you would most likely be a bit full of yourself aswell.. It's almost like saying you should hate Petrenko because on the field he fights hard and gives it to his opponent.. Have a bit of respect for a player in Hewitt who does not have the skills but has reached the pinacle becasue of hard work and the Aussie fighting spirit

Just wondering why people hate Hewitt so much? Yes he is a tosser on court but that is what has made him great. It is the fact that he has that passionate dog inside of him. If it wasn't for that he wouldn't have won half of the games he has. It is this that has helped him be our most succesful Aus player in the Davis Cup. Something some of you may not realise but when Hewitt plays in away tournaments, Wimbledon/US/French, he will meet up with the "Fanatics" and shout them beers. I think you all need to realise that he has matured. I'm sure if you reached number 1 in the world at 19 yrs old you would most likely be a bit full of yourself aswell.. It's almost like saying you should hate Petrenko because on the field he fights hard and gives it to his opponent.. Have a bit of respect for a player in Hewitt who does not have the skills but has reached the pinacle becasue of hard work and the Aussie fighting spirit

Well said...through to the 3rd round at the U.S. Open off a limited preparation again...C'mon Leyton!!

No one has a right to hold onto the position forever.

I feel Hewitt time at the top has come to an end and it's in the clubs best interest to have the person representing the club as the number one ticket holder at the top of their game.

Adam Scott, Patrick Mills, or Andy Thomas would be very good choices.

No one has a right to hold onto the position forever.

I feel Hewitt time at the top has come to an end and it's in the clubs best interest to have the person representing the club as the number one ticket holder at the top of their game.

Adam Scott, Patrick Mills, or Andy Thomas would be very good choices.

Yes I see what you're saying but seriously are we simply just going to ditch a passionate supporter and someone we named as our number 1 ticket holder once they are not competing with the best in the world? To me it sees like a dog move to almost disown someone, i realise you have to do it at some point, when they are not the star they once were. Hewitt even had his raquet at one stage in the crows colours and before the drama between Macca/Edwards had the number 23 on his raquet aswell.. I haven't yet seen Mills (Love the bloke) with the crows colours or Danger's number on his shoes (We'll see this year after he's met him) and the same thing with Scott (My second fav. golfer after Day, seems more like an aussie bloke 2 me). BTW who is Andy Thomas? Prob seem like an idiot asking it but fk it may aswell ask rather than look it up. And like Bicks said Hewitt is still playing well making it into the 3rd round of the US open and IMO expect him to push on. If u look into it Roddick, who started after him, is retiring and Hewitt is pushing on. The thing is everyone can say Hewitt is pushing on and ruining his legacy but the way i see it is Hewitt was always in a battle to get back up in the rankings because of his injuries however the top players are still wary/respect him.. His drive to continue, he doesn't need the money, is somethin any Aussie should be proud of (after all we all love the idea of saying us Aussies are battlers). Don't remember Hewitt even pushed Djokovic in the olympics.. Far out Djokovic even respects him enough to imitate him:
2:23

I think there is more opportunity in Patrick Mills than Lleyton Hewitt.

Slightly disagree.. Hewitt is seen all around the world however Mills is not. He is a decent Bball player but look at when he was in Portland he did weekly vids (i think it was around portland) but it was only seen in the city he was in.

Andy Thomas is an astronaut.

From what the interwebz has taught me, Patty Mills is an average player in a second rate team playing a sport no one in Australia watches who has achieved nothing greater than being picked to play.

From what the interwebz has taught me, Patty Mills is an average player in a second rate team playing a sport no one in Australia watches who has achieved nothing greater than being picked to play.
San Antonio ain't a second rate team, but you are true that Mills hasn't done much...

Unlike the joke, you're mum's an astronaut - this achievement is a fairly big deal.

Leading scoring in an Olympic game is a fairly big deal and a little big bigger than just being picked to play. He plays for the San Antonio Spurs (even if I don't like them) are in no way a second rate team and he also plays in the NBA and that competition is watched by many Australians. He was at the game today, sitting with his mum and grand parents. He was also invited back into the room after the match.

If you're going to be so disrespectful to him and the sport, get your facts correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was the thing. Why suggest an astronaut? And San Antonio may not be the biggest marketable team in the nba but they are a very great team.. Last year they finished first and this year (can't exactly remember) but lost hardly any games at home. Any team with Parker (was in MVP contention) Duncan (one of the best PFs of all time) and for some reason ginobli was coming off the bench are a good team.. Could mention others like blair but u wouldn't get it.. Yes mills needs to go to a team without a decent PG n he'd get some notice

And you're a space cadet. Second rate team? Ignorance is probably saving you from a card here mate ;)

And you're a space cadet. Second rate team? Ignorance is probably saving you from a card here mate ;)

Well i'll agree on ignorance. My less than stella research said they were knocked out in the first round the last few years but i see they made the semifinal. I still dont see any great achievement here compared to others.

Well i'll agree on ignorance. My less than stella research said they were knocked out in the first round the last few years but i see they made the semifinal. I still dont see any great achievement here compared to others.
What has Hewitt done then?

What has Hewitt done then?
Won 2 Grand Slams, World #1 ranked tennis player for 80 weeks (or thereabouts)...

If judged on performance history alone, Hewitt is still a clear #1 as best placed person to be our #1 ticket holder. Unfortunately, he's also a complete knobend.

Won 2 Grand Slams, World #1 ranked tennis player for 80 weeks (or thereabouts)...

If judged on performance history alone, Hewitt is still a clear #1 as best placed person to be our #1 ticket holder. Unfortunately, he's also a complete knobend.
I meant as of late... Sorry forgot to add that bit in...

So you get carded for calling a team in a sport that isn't even within the scope of this forum second rate? If I call West Coast second rate I wouldn't get carded. If it's because no one likes basketball i just have to point to the NBL having average crowds of 4k and barely being covered on fta tv. It's a niche sport even if you follow it.

How about you convince me. All I've seen in this thread is a few basketball fans seeing some new Aussie have a couple of ok games in a losing side and suddenly proclaim him the greatest South Australian sportsman alive. When he has won an olympic medal as the highest scorer or won an NBA championship (and not as 3rd pick) or been selected on an NBA all stars team then I'll start putting him above those others.

ha second rate team? SAS have had pretty much the best record in the league 2 years running, only to choke 1st round last year and lose the conference finals this year to OKC. they have been a consistent 1st rate team (68% wins) ever since popovich drafted tim duncan in 1997.

but yeh mills was a towel waver last season, only relieving tony parker and gary neal on a limited basis. an interesting article this week:

About to enter his 17th season with the Spurs, Gregg Popovich has already amassed four NBA championships and two "Coach of the Year" awards, with his last and only losing season having occurred during 1996-97 as a first-year head coach. After falling just two wins short of an NBA Finals berth in June, Popovich appears determined to regroup for next season.

When asked about Patty Mills' role on the Spurs after his performance in the Olympics:
"Well, I didn’t need to see his Olympic performance to know what he can bring, it’s just that he came to us so late last year it was really hard to incorporate him into what we were doing. But he’s an aggressive, fiery, offensive player. He can shoot the three and really score, and that’s what he looks to do when he comes in the game. So he’ll be a game-changer in that sense, at the offensive end. And defensively he’s kind of like a pest—he’s not very big but he’s really a game. He’s got great courage and he gets into people, trying to really bother them and get them off their game. So his competitiveness and offensive skills are what we’re looking forward to mostly."

having said all that, i still think the #1 ticket holder status is a crock of shit.

How ill-informed you are..... really you are. Patty Mills was drafted by Portland and was their backup point guard. He was getting good minutes and playing well. Then a little thing called the lockout happened. He then went to play in China and got stuck on a contract there not allowing him to return to the NBA when it started again. He then copped a knee injury that kept him out. He was then recruited by the Spurs who made it all the way to the conference finals. He didn't play a big part in that granted but he never was going to joining the club with on 15 games to go and a game plan/strategy set. He did in fact get some great minutes towards the end of the home and away season and break the Australian record for most point scored in a single game with 38. A few quick facts:
  • NBA is the US 3rd most watched sport on TV
  • NBA is MASSIVE in China...... you know that place Australia does so much business with
  • Viewers for the NBA globally are larger than any tennis tournament
  • When was the last time Hewitt was around the AFC?
  • When did Patrick Mills last go help the enemy?
I'm not against Hewitt and all he stands for but he is a spent force. At least Patty is out there promoting the club whilst Hewitt is no where to be seen. There is also a good chance Patty Mills will become the Spurs 1st backup PG this season. If he were on a team that didn't have a Hall of Fame PG on it he'd be starting. He also has a connection with the club. He is great mates with a lot of players. Hewitt has no connection anymore. In fact he has more connection with the Power.
I am all for either Patty Mills or Adam Scott becoming our new number one ticket holder. To dismiss it simply because you are ill-informed is both ludicrous and naive.

When asked about Patty Mills' role on the Spurs after his performance in the Olympics:
"Well, I didn’t need to see his Olympic performance to know what he can bring, it’s just that he came to us so late last year it was really hard to incorporate him into what we were doing. But he’s an aggressive, fiery, offensive player. He can shoot the three and really score, and that’s what he looks to do when he comes in the game. So he’ll be a game-changer in that sense, at the offensive end. And defensively he’s kind of like a pest—he’s not very big but he’s really a game. He’s got great courage and he gets into people, trying to really bother them and get them off their game. So his competitiveness and offensive skills are what we’re looking forward to mostly."
That must be the longest Pops quote ever! Also the highlighted bit translates as "I don't give a shit about the Olympics, I got better things to do" :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Make Patty Mills our new No. 1 Ticket Holder!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back